SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toaster time again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toaster time again Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
Not intended as a rant.
We have poor luck the past couple decades: whatever
brand we get, they only function well a few years, if that long.

Need a simple 2 holer toaster that will turn bread to toast, including
from light to dark in a timely fashion.

Whattayagot?

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a KitchenAid 4 slot toaster that is going on 13 years old and still running strong. They also have a 2 slot which would fit your need.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Dualit toaster. Very good quality unit, is British made. It is a very good brand, but pricey.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Our Cuisinart has been rock solid for a couple of decades now (sure hope I'm not jinxing it). It uses a timing circuit rather than a "doneness" sensor so one has to pay attention to what is being toasted.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Breville.

We finally enjoy good toast, I had no idea.

Weird to say, but breads are toasted on the outside and soft and moist inside.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Our Cuisinart has been rock solid for a couple of decades now (sure hope I'm not jinxing it). It uses a timing circuit rather than a "doneness" sensor so one has to pay attention to what is being toasted.

Is that model still available?
I prefer the idea of a timed toasting cycle rather than a sensor that is supposedly smarter than I am.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Is that model still available?
I prefer the idea of a timed toasting cycle rather than a sensor that is supposedly smarter than I am.
The model number stamped on the bottom is 4001815. Also stamped on the bottom is "Made in China." Looks just like this one.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks just like this one.

Thank you. The "shade" control looks like a good feature. Although my toaster is ancient and the sort of thing banks used to give out for opening a new account, the sensor is erratic and I get different results with two slightly different thicknesses of English muffin and types of bread.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I use a Breville toaster oven. It has several functions in my kitchen including as a toaster without the need to have a separate toaster cluttering up the counter top.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've been very happy with our Cuisinart. It's a 4 slice maker, but the same is available in a two slicer.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t get a Wolf toaster (I forget who they are made by for them). I’ve been less than impressed. When it works right it’s great. But that’s only about 10% of the time

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Knock on wood but our Kenmore European Toaster Model 238-48339 bought back in 2006 is still performing flawlessly. Handles the big thick and long stuff easily browning both sides equally. Has a control for how dark you want the toast and even one for handling frozen items. Crumb tray is easy to remove and clean too.

Don't know what we'd get if it ever broke. Confused

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
While it was kind of expensive at the time my two slice Kitchen Aid has performed flawlessly since day one. The model is no longer made however, and the newer ones may be of different quality.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
...and finally, this from the Bob and Tom show:

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 1950'2 GE 129T81 toaster that worked great. I bought it used and lasted a long time for me. I would like to get another one some day.

https://laurelleaffarm.com/ite...tem-no-z51371-12.jpg

My current one is a kitchenaid that works sonewhat well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kit...d-KHM2115ER/39668361

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Sunbeam made a good one in the late 1950’s. The “Toastmaster”. I’ve got the one my folks got as a wedding gift. I’m 64.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the toaster oven vs the vertical slot toaster-style, a bit more versatile if I'm heating up a single serving, like a slice of pizza, a turnover or, some pastry along with making toast.

That said, I've invest very little and I expect them to fail within 5-years of purchase. If it can get past the 5-year mark, I'm satisfied and not all broken up when things come apart.,

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Remember these?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
A friend recently asked me the same thing.

MY answer, buy a cheap on for now, and visit all the estate sales and find a 1950's - 1960's vintage made in America toaster.

There's always fleabay. Tons of "vintage toasters" for sale. In fact, IMHO, it's worth looking at the vintage toasters and see what there is, especially the Art Deco ones. There are quite a few ones just like Mr V-Tail depicted, some work, some don't, some need cords, whatever. Might be a fun little project if you're willing to drop a few shekels.

Aren't these so much more interesting and fun than todays chinamart crap?

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Breville with the long slots. Great for a couple years and then it started only toasting one side. Currently looking for replacement.

JC

Posts: 1272 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post