SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grill grate for Weber Genesis
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grill grate for Weber Genesis Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
I installed this NG Weber in 2013 and it's been a work horse cooking meals year round at least 3 days a week, more during the summer months. The original ceramic grate was replace about 5 years ago and it's ready to give up the host. So, thinking about replacing it with a SS version which is a bit more expensive. So, is the SS version worth the upgrade price. I don't mind paying if it's easier to clean and lasts longer.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
check out GrillGrates, they are anodized AL & will outlast most grills. Best part is you can flip them over & have a griddle w/ a few holes in it (great burgers). Not real cheap, I think my 5-panel was about $100, but much better than the cast iron it had before (never could get it seasoned)

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Genesis in 2009 with SS grates. Other than being discolored from the use, which I use mine about the same amount as you over the past 11 years, show no signs of degradation. So, in my opinion, yeah they have held up great. Unlike the bottom of the cabinet where the propane is stored...

Posts: 680 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/7820090144/p/2

All info on gas grills is available at www.karmanator.com and custom sigforum search.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5057 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog:
I bought a Genesis in 2009 with SS grates. Other than being discolored from the use, which I use mine about the same amount as you over the past 11 years, show no signs of degradation. So, in my opinion, yeah they have held up great. Unlike the bottom of the cabinet where the propane is stored...

Are the SS grates hard to clean? I have been thinking about going that route myself.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted

Are the SS grates hard to clean? I have been thinking about going that route myself.

When I am done cooking I turn to high and burn off what's left for a few min, then brush off the residue. They have a constant dark color to them when the food primarily sits, the edges around the border is sti SS in color. Never any issues. whatsoever.

Posts: 680 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I bought my LP Genesis 15 years ago I was looking for the SS grates - they only had the cast iron in stock. I’m glad I went that rout, they have been bullet proof.

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Another Grill Grates user. I love them. Pricey but won’t rust like my cast iron Grates did.
My is a 5 section Genesis. I have 3 turned over into a grill like surface for burgers, steaks. Other 2 sides for Italian Sausage, brats, dogs, ribs.

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
My stainless grates must be about 15 years old and I'll never have anything else. I also have grill grates and love them but the troughs catch and hold grease that bakes on. I haven't found a good way to clean them off good.

Posts: 3466 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Mark60– I bought a grill brush from GrillGrates that is made of plastic.(32.99) Not your everyday melt plastic I guess. It sort of has fingers that get in the grooves. You use it with water, it steams a lot of it away, and scrub the rest to the back. Works excellent. I use it in the ridge parts and the griddle part. Using water, and temp at medium, it’s done very quickly.

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm going to swap mine for SS. They are starting to rust, the frequency with which I use the grill stops most of it, but if I go a week or two without using the grill it starts to get rust on grates.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Genesis S330 that's over 5 years old now with the origional S/S grates. They're perfect, mine don't rust whether I grill daily or don't touch the grill for 3 weeks. I'd highly recommend them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA DuckHunter:
When I bought my LP Genesis 15 years ago I was looking for the SS grates - they only had the cast iron in stock. I’m glad I went that rout, they have been bullet proof.

I have the cast iron grates on my 11 year old genesis as well and I love them. I store the grill inside so i haven't had any rust problems.

I also wanted the SS grates when I bought it but I read that the cast is better for searing and heat retention. Sounds like the guys with SS are happy so I am sure the stainless would be solid.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
quote:
Originally posted by CA DuckHunter:

I have the cast iron grates on my 11 year old genesis as well and I love them. I store the grill inside so i haven't had any rust problems.

I also wanted the SS grates when I bought it but I read that the cast is better for searing and heat retention. Sounds like the guys with SS are happy so I am sure the stainless would be solid.

Yes, IRON > SS for sear, opposite is true for longevity. I'm going SS, got a good torch if I need extra searing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to give the SS a try. Saw some aftermarket ones for about $50 (oem are $150) but I'm really Leary even though most of the reviews at Amazon were positive, or at least saying they were acceptable at that price point. We grill year round and I'm a bit picky on keeping the grill clean. After all, you eat the food that goes in there. That was my one complaint with the Grill Grates. I found them a real PITA to keep clean and sanitized.

Again, thanks for your input.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
NavyGuy— Read my comments above about using the plastic Grill Grates brush, with water. Works excellent, and quick.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I went with the premium upgrade - the thicker Summit stainless grates and it was very much worth it. I use a grill paddle to clean them. They don’t have to shine.

Posts: 17901 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
NavyGuy— Read my comments above about using the plastic Grill Grates brush, with water. Works excellent, and quick.

I've tried the somewhat expensive brushes from GG and never could get them clean to my satisfaction. There was always some grease and crud especially at the edges. I used to take them off and hit them with the power washer and that would get them clean, but that's a 30 minute project. The cast iron I just heated them on high for 10 minutes, sprayed some water on them as I brush them and they come out like new. I've still got the GG stored in the grill cabinet, so maybe I'll revisit down the road.

-D.H. Lawrence

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to give the SS a try. Saw some aftermarket ones for about $50 (oem are $150) but I'm really Leary even though most of the reviews at Amazon were positive, or at least saying they were acceptable at that price point. We grill year round and I'm a bit picky on keeping the grill clean. After all, you eat the food that goes in there. That was my one complaint with the Grill Grates. I found them a real PITA to keep clean and sanitized.

Again, thanks for your input.

I just ordered some $85 knock off ones. After reading reviews on OEM vs the ones I got, it sounds like they may be better at half the price. Also ordered new reflector plates and flavorizor bars too. $130 total for everything.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I've modified Traeger, Weber, Oklahoma Joe's and this is where I usually shopped:

BBQ Guys

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post