SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    need help with plane identification.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help with plane identification. Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted

A friend is trying to id this plane. She is related to the pilot. she believes the phot was taken between 1930-1947.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Early model P2V-1 Neptune.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
That was fast.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
This was a prototype model of the P2V. In the production models, the starter rope was replaced.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
That was fast.

Looks like a popular photo. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
How did the starter rope work ?

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Uh...he was joking. It looks like the guy is installing or removing a "remove before flight" cover on the pitot tube.

Posts: 15911 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

Uh...he was joking. It looks like the guy is installing or removing a "remove before flight" cover on the pitot tube.

Send him over to Base Supply to get a gallon of “prop wash” and 100-feet of “flightline” too. Roll Eyes

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2707 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

Ah. I thought it might be something like a cartridge start thing.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
18 cylinders per engine, the P2V used a conventional electric starter. Later versions P2V-5 on up, used two additional turbojet engines outboard of the R3350 radials. All four ran on avgas, and lighting off the jets tripled the fuel burn. They were used primarily for takeoff, certain maneuvering, and unassing the area.

I flew the -7.

Early on, a year after introduction, the P2V-1 set a long distance record.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Later versions P2V-5 on up, used two additional turbojet engines outboard of the R3350 radials.
Two turning and two burning.

We had a couple in our guided missile squadron that were used to carry KDA drones to the launch area, and then launch the drones from the P2V.

Can't find any of my photos right now, but this one from the internet sort of conveys the idea:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like an A-26 nacelle and wing there.

The J34 jets had electric start for takeoff, but in flight we just opened the doors. The inlet was faired off in flight by a folding double door, to reduce drag. There were several methods of opening the doors (bicycle chain, hydraulic, etc), but once open, the slipstream spooled the gas core up enough to light off. Sometimes they lit, sometimes they didn't.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like an A-26 nacelle and wing there.
I wasn't sure what the host airplane was in that photo, but it is representative of the way that we schlepped the drones under the wing of the Neptune back when we were based at Roosevelt Roads in the late 1950s.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Vark WSO
posted Hide Post
Okay - a little thread drift. Using the tail code “UF” on the F6F Hellcat drone in the background, I found this photo of a JD-1 which appears to be the Navy version of the A-26. sns3guppy has good eyes.

UF was the tail code for VU-3 utility squadron operating from Brown Field in San Diego. This article was from “Naval Aviation News” October 1959 -

Pretty sure the drone in the photo is a Firebee. In ‘92, I attended an Air Force school where each two-man crew got to shoot an AIM-9M Sidewinder at a similar drone - an experience I will not forget.

In fairness to the OP - here is a shot of a P-2V Neptune - also from VU-3.

Hope I did this correctly - have not posted photos in a long time.

Also - for further aviation history enjoyment, look up “The Battle of Palmdale.” A Hellcat drone like the one in the background of the preceding post played an integral part. Big Grin

Posts: 77 | Location: Biggest Little City in the World | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Vark WSO:

...for further aviation history enjoyment, look up “The Battle of Palmdale.” A Hellcat drone like the one in the background of the preceding post played an integral part. Big Grin

https://scvhistory.com/scvhistory/sw_lat081756.htm

Vark, were you by any chance at Lakenheath 1986-89? My brother flew the F model there. If so, contact me at the emial in my profile.

Posts: 15911 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Vark WSO
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

Posts: 77 | Location: Biggest Little City in the World | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Before I moved from So. CA a couple years ago, Neptunes were still being used to fight brush fires in my area. Heck of a long (maybe too long) service life!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10209 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few times I"ve parked on a tanker base ramp in a PB4Y-2, in a line with three generations of anti-submarine warfare (ASW) aircraft; the 4Y, the P2, and the P3.

All three are retired, now.