SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Military guys and old boots……fun thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Military guys and old boots……fun thread Login/Join 
posted
When I was a junior Sailor I had an old Chief and Gunny both tell me their boots had more time in the service than I did….lol. I still remember that to this day and I have been retired for 10 years after serving 24. Big Grin

These boots were issued to me in May 1991 when I went to Field Medical Service School. These old jungle boots have served me well and get worn weekly when I cut the grass…which I did today. If gunny saw what they looked like now, I would be polishing them for an entire day to make them shine.

I did pretty much my entire career with Marines and retired as a Senior Chief in 2014. These boots have held up well for GI issue.

Posts: 1136 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I've got mine from boot camp 10 years ago. I save them in case I ever go surface.

The new coyote boots are much more comfortable, but don't last long enough to have an old pair Frown

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6624 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for ur service. when i go visit my mom i am going to bring back my granpas boots from wwII.

Posts: 1584 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
When I was a junior Sailor I had an old Chief and Gunny both tell me their boots had more time in the service than I did….lol. I still remember that to this day and I have been retired for 10 years after serving 24. Big Grin

"Son, I've got more time in the chow line than you do in the Navy!" Big Grin

Congrats, Senior Chief. 2014? You probably enlisted after I retired (9/90)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15525 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
"FNG, you got no time on the shitter!"

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Your feet must be flatter than @#$%!!! Big Grin

JP

Posts: 2075 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:

"Son, I've got more time in the chow line than you do in the Navy!" Big Grin

Congrats, Senior Chief. 2014? You probably enlisted after I retired (9/90)

I enlisted 3 months before you retired (6/90).

Posts: 1136 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm not surprised the boots held but I am surprised the laces have held up.

When I was in combat arms units, I ran through a pair of boots every year or so. Ran through a pair every 3-4 months deployed as I was in light infantry units. Lots of walking.

Posts: 13313 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have my jungle boots procured in 1980. They were made in '71 and are still in pretty good condition but now are too small. Preferred wearing them onboard ship; more supportive than the issued boondockers of that age as well as the standard combat boots in the field.

Posts: 3405 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little leather luster and those will be as good as new! I personally never touched the stuff back in the day!

Posts: 1716 | Location: CO | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I've still got the boots like that that were issued to me in basic at Lackland in '71. They still fit too.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1903 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Went through a couple pair of jungle bootS in Vietnam. Brought a pair back with me and used them for years as occasional work boots. They finally bit the dust maybe 10 years ago.

Posts: 1994 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post