SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where did the workers go?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where did the workers go? Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
Amongst many shortages across the country it seems the labor force seems to have taken the biggest hit. In 2019 before Covid the economy was booming. Unemployment at a record low, jobs expanding across the country weekly and monthly.

Then the great shut down of 2020. Some died some retired (I'd wager less than were coming into the work force. Granted there was stimulus money but lots of crying about no work.

Then the country began opening. Companies came online slowly. Many businesses flat out failed reducing job openings even further. Stimulus was still there in some areas preventing some from going back to work until rules were enacted.

Yet here we are today.... hundreds of thousands of jobs and no workers. Where did they all go? Small businesses, restaurants, convenience stores, even liquor stores on reduced hours due to lack of staff.

Where did all of the workers go???? Was there a mass exodus I missed? Why isn't the news running around interviewing people about why they don't want to work like they do when unemployment is up?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
You might try here in "what's your deal".
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/6110099584
It seems to be "trending" or whatever the internet speak is.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Why work when Uncle Sugar pays me to stay home and beat my meat to catgirls, get high, and play Xbox? And even if Uncle Sugar isn't paying me more, I still ain't have to listen to no boss, or put miles on my car, or get up before noon.

There's also some employers who haven't shifted and still assume it's the Before Times where we're all replaceable parts. We still are, if you got the casssssh. It's easy to bail on a shitty job, and get a new one by lunch.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m waiting for the jobs to come back. Sorry, not working retail or food service for the first time at 47 for minimum wage. I’d last about 45 seconds of some dumbfuck flapping their jaws about anything. It’s better for all concerned that I wait this out.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Looks unemployed that don’t want to work will be joined by many who want to work, but don’t want the mandated COVID vaccination.

Yep, likely to see more sitting on the sidelines waiting this one out.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Work is a lifestyle choice in this country, not an act of survival.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
I’m waiting for the jobs to come back. Sorry, not working retail or food service for the first time at 47 for minimum wage. I’d last about 45 seconds of some dumbfuck flapping their jaws about anything. It’s better for all concerned that I wait this out.
You make it sound like fun though. They won’t fire you so let the verbal abuse fly, brother. Big Grin

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been in the work force for more than 55 years. Retired from two agencies after 42 years then into self employment for another 10. Thinking about retiring altogether and spending my days in the woodshop, but apprehensive about not being gainfully employed. I want to feel I am contributing something. It is a lifestyle. Well, maybe I can sell some of my woodwork....

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:

I'm sure you have no desire to do this, but Amazon is paying $20ph to start with a $3,000 sign on bonus. They're desperate.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I’ve traveled extensively for work the past 16 years, many of those in the sky. The planes are full again, but where are the business travelers. I would estimate the professional traveler is making up roughly 20 percent of the air travelers I see. I’m amazed, mid-week, evenings, or early mornings all I see are families and pleasure travelers. Everyday feels like Holiday travel time, nobody knows what they’re doing. I’m baffled at what I’m seeing and wondering what happens if the business travelers come back with two many travelers chasing too few seats. Combined with exorbitant gas prices, how high will the prices go. This is what happens when mentally challenged children set economic policy… Build, Back, Stupid!

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Work is a lifestyle choice in this country, not an act of survival.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very true. The United States is fast becoming the land of entitlement.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Gonna get worse, much worse, before it gets better.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
The planes are full again, but where are the business travelers.

Many businesses have figured out that videoconferencing and remote working are much easier/cheaper than constantly physically flying employees all across the country.

It was already headed this way pre-COVID, and the pandemic quarantine period merely accelerated it as most everyone is now comfortable with videochat and remote work, even many of the old grognards.

Business travel will never go away 100%, but it's also not going to rebound back to pre-COVID levels.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Just got an email from an airline with a list of surprisingly exotic places the miles I've got could take me. I have to admit, though, my first question was whether this was a way of touting the fact that they're open while other airlines are or may be having problems with pilots and other employees over the vaccine.

Then again, videoconferencing also makes the vaccine irrelevant.
quote:
catgirls

Catgirls? Er, ah, asking for a friend.

Who, um, might be a catgirl. Maybe.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Who, um, might be a catgirl. Maybe.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) Some of it is vestiges of a bunch of people got out of the habit of work.

B) Lots of early retirement.

C) We always were heading for an issue, as the boomers moved out of the workforce, exacerbated by Millennial incompetence.

D) I think most of Gen X is holding out for the young kids to make it into the work force - some great teenagers right now, at which point, they will promote them over the Millennials.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Catgirls = Anime cartoons

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Add many families that found they could survive without two income earners, cut back on extra expenses, and eliminated child care costs along with clothes, gas, insurance, car payments etc.

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
How are all of these people who are opting not to work keeping themselves fed, clothed, sheltered and lets not for get the most important thing.... paying that mobile bill.

Unemployment is ending, stimulus is over. If someone has figured out how to maintain a decent lifestyle and not work I want to know how too!!!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
You make it sound like fun though. They won’t fire you so let the verbal abuse fly, brother. Big Grin

It might be kinda fun to yell at hippies at Whole Foods or wherever but I might need blood pressure meds. And I’m sure they’d fire me. A millennial asst. manager counseling me on customer service complaints would go over like a turd in a punch bowl. My give a fuck meter was getting faulty enough in the white collar corporate setting.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post