SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Archers - Starter Recurve Suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Archers - Starter Recurve Suggestions Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
From the below thread:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...40056884&f=320601935

My daughter (10 yrs old) is showing some renewed interest in archery.
She has/shoots a PSE ProMax 54 & when we were going weekly to a local indoor range, she was getting pretty good at it.

Planning on building her a target stand & was thinking about getting my own & shooting with her.

Going by the wingspan/2.5 measurement, my draw length is about 28.8, so call it 29"

Did a bit of [outdated] reading on starter bows on a budget.

The 2 that I saw mentioned repeatedly are the Samick Sage & Southland Archery Explorer.

Would prefer a takedown for storage & transport simplicity.

Any opinions on these 2, or suggestions for others on a budget, but with room to grow?
Any benefits of wood vs metal for the riser?
Must have accessories to start?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've used the Sage before. It was excellent however it had product life problems - some delamination issues. Returned it twice.

Ended up with TradTech Titan riser which was a little more pricey but an excellent riser to grow into. It's a solid riser. And takes ILF limbs.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ouch, $500 for just the bare riser is a bit out of what I'd want to sped on a first bow.

Maybe all in, $500 but that was what had my appeal with the Sage & Explorer. Both are sub-$200 less arrows.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for a starter recurve on and off for a while, still haven't decided. And the only shop local to me pretty much only deals with compound hunting type stuff.

This Galaxy Aspire seems to get good reviews.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Similar here, most of the target focused shops are across town (may as well be across the state, with how broad Houston is).

Even the shop that we used to take our daughter to didn't really have a ton of in-stock & primarily compound/crossbow.

That Aspire seems to be out of stock in 66" but will keep that one in mind as well.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yes. A bit of buy once cry once. Consider the proprietary limbs of the recurve vs the ILF friendly limbs with something like the Titan. Not saying get the titan although it’s been a great value to me. But consider a riser that is ILF limb friendly.

Especially as you go up in limb weight, the delamination issue was disconcerting. Possible catastrophic failure?

Other than that, the sage was a fine bow until I was starting to outgrow it.

I try to support local but ended up using Lancaster more and more for various reasons.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I could see going with a more premium bow for a second purchase, if I really get into it.

For a starter, trying to build a base on a budget without getting something of poor quality.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I understand. I grew out of the Sage in a matter of months. Maybe 3-4 months.

posted Hide Post
You might check your local JOAD club they may have some resources for you.

Spring Texas Archery JOAD 281-468-2572 texasarcheryjoad@hotmail.com Texas
Both JOAD & Adult

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Not to shortchange your daughter, but I’d try used 1st.

I’m about to give away an older compound bow to a young shooter. Last I looked there were plenty of used options.

Of course you want proper fit & draw weight, should still be doable.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
You might try checking Lancaster Archery. They have a brand selection across price points.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Not sure how far this is for you but Saddle River Range on 1488 in the Woodlands has indoor archery you might try.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD2177:
You might check your local JOAD club they may have some resources for you.

Spring Texas Archery JOAD 281-468-2572 texasarcheryjoad@hotmail.com Texas
Both JOAD & Adult

They're about halfway between work & home, may try to swing in there.

quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Not to shortchange your daughter, but I’d try used 1st.

I’m about to give away an older compound bow to a young shooter. Last I looked there were plenty of used options.

Of course you want proper fit & draw weight, should still be doable.

Daughter is set with her PSE & should have a while before she outgrows it. The OP is regarding a bow for me.

quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
You might try checking Lancaster Archery. They have a brand selection across price points.

Thanks, will give them a look

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Not sure how far this is for you but Saddle River Range on 1488 in the Woodlands has indoor archery you might try.

Saddle River is where my daughter learned to shoot & where we bought her bow. They do a beginner class every Friday.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Hey P250UA5, did you ever sort out a bow? My son and I are looking for starter bows, and were interested in what you ended up going with.

We live minutes from Saddle River Range. Were they helpful in getting y'all set up?

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Hey P250UA5, did you ever sort out a bow? My son and I are looking for starter bows, and were interested in what you ended up going with.

We live minutes from Saddle River Range. Were they helpful in getting y'all set up?

Still on the to-do list. SR was great for beginner lessons with their beginner nights. Haven't browsed them for a purchase for me, but we did get my daughter's PSE there.

My wife's new job is around the corner from them, so I may look into a membership. They're also building a new indoor gun/archery range about a mile from my house (45/Woodlands Pkwy area) so I'll be checking them out too.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Have you ever been to Texas Archery on Treaschwig? Any thoughts on how they compare to SRR?

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've seen it & browsed their website, but haven't been in.

Copendero is the new gu /archery range opening in the Woodlands. Building is coming along a lot more quickly. Not sure their eta for opening.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir!

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Well, I still have my old Bear Grizzly recurve bow, and went out to see what Fred Bear Archery offers in the way of take-downs. Beautiful, but spendy.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Thank you sir!

Keep me posted on what you find.
With the weather getting pleasant, I'm planning on building a target stand for the back yard.