SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for Input on Casement Windows
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Input on Casement Windows Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
We need to replace a couple of sets of casement windows in our house. I've gotten three quotes so far (one for Andersen, one for Beechworth, and one for Gilkey (I think they're a local Chicago company)). We're getting a quote for Marvin and Pella next week.

The samples we've seen look pretty similar and I can't tell if one brand is better than another.

Also, I know so little about windows that I don't know if there are questions I'm not asking that I should be. The only thing I've learned is that new windows cost a lot more $$$ than I thought they would!! Eek

Any input, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
My parents put Pella casement windows in their house, one (non-opening) Pella window lost its seals and fogged, was replaced (though not sure if warrantied or not - was probably 10yr old). The casements open fully and are very nice, I will spec casements whenever I get the chance to build my own house!

Posts: 2162 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Replacements are cheaper then new construction. Had my replaced a few years ago at around $5500.Ten windows with three of them being very large windows. Lifetime replacement with $20 delivery and install. They are double pane vinyl with a coating of some sort . They left the old frame and trim both inside and out intact. Took two guy two days .

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Went through this late last Summer. I only did one window, 21 y/o house. It was a rather large window, water damage throughout the frame.

I went with a Infinity by Marvin. Of course the installer factors in heavily, no matter what window you go with. It’s only been a little over 6 months, very happy.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with a large reputable company. Pella makes good ones. Some Anderson ones can be good too. I've seen severely delaminated casement windows in a few homes lately that were leaking water.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Installed Pella casement windows in my house over the winter. I have an older house, bought them near wholesale price, had them delivered and did the work myself. No regrets so far.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I did all my windows about ten years ago along with siding. I went with Marvin windows. They are full stainable wood on the interior and I believe coated on the exterior. They were not their top of the line window but not their base model either. I installed them myself. I felt like I wanted to spend a little more for better quality. Some of my friends had problems with Pella and I wasn't happy with Anderson quality for the price.. All told I replaced 17 windows including two 4 panel bay windows. I will say at the ten year mark I am EXTREMELY happy with how they are holding up. If i were to do it again I would definitely use Marvin again. Your mileage may vary Smile

Posts: 1828 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got Andersen on my 19 year old house. No significant issues. I've been pleased when I needed a few small hardware parts that they are still readily available from the company web store.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My house has windows by Andersen and Replacement by Andersen. Both brands have performed well with no problems. Since you are replacing windows, give Replacement by Andersen some consideration.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
We have a small bay window over our kitchen sink. It has two casement windows and it is a Pella. We have been very satisfied with it. It's four years old now.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post