SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need an external hard drive for Mac backup
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need an external hard drive for Mac backup Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
They're getting ready to give us new Macbooks at work, so I'll be trading my old one in (probably should have paid them $300 to keep it, but whatev).

I will need to back everything up before trading the old one in. I have a lot of stuff backed up on the work account's Google Drive and some more stuff backed up on a personal Google Drive, but I want to also backup on an external HD.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a drive that won't break the bank? There's like 150 gigs of stuff total on the computer, so I don't need oodles of storage.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a cheap Samsung 1tb SSD that I use.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've had an Iomega external drive that has been very reliable. It is an actual disk drive, and I'd buy solid state now. I think any of them from the usual suspects will be fine.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I have a cheap Samsung 1tb SSD that I use.

+1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The Western Digital Passport models (both spinners and SSDs) have served me well as Time Machine drives for many years, and are not too costly. They take their power from the USB port itself so you don't have to fuss with a wall wart.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Define "Break the bank."

Ideally, get something that you can use down the road. Your new Mac will be USB-C, I presume. If you don't buy an adapter, you'll need that interface on your external enclosure. Probably cheaper to get an adapter.

If you don't need it portable, I like the WD easystore drives from Best Buy. $200 will get you an 8TB USB 3.0 drive. Here's the thing about these external, full size (I know, technically half size) drives. In the past, WD used consumer grade drives, but due to excessive warranty claims, they have been using NAS drives, like a relabeled WD Red Plus. You get a very reliable drive in an external enclosure for less than the drive alone. Those "in the know" actually buy these and "shuck" them to expand their NAS drive pools.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/w...5302.p?skuId=6425302

You really don't need speed for a backup drive. SSDs are wasted in a backup use. Get a good, rugged, spinning platter, and use it with your new system, saving versions back to the beginning of time. In this age of ransomware, that's the best defense. Hopefully the scumbags aren't targeting Mac OS, but you never know.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8219 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Pick out an SSD. It sounds like 256GB or 500GB would do you well; personally I would go with the 500GB, for future needs. Then get this $30 enclosure from Oyen Digital (bare enclosure only, with no drive included). It is all aluminum and uses the latest USB-C standard (or Thunderbolt 3). I've been using their cases for many years now, and they put out a quality product. Available on Amazon.

Oyen Digital SATA to USB-C hard drive or SSD enclosure.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I would avoid ^^^^^ that enclosure and any other that requires external power.

Time Machine isn't really that picky.

Seagate or WD external 2.5 HD should be fine and they are the only two brands of "mechanical" drive I would trust.

1TB Seagate can be had for under $50 on Amazon. Don't be to worried if it is a USB-C or USB-3 cable, adapters readily available and should have one anyway.

SSD is faster and smaller, but they do cost more.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This is way simpler than most recommendations above:
just buy a 256 GB flash drive with USB 3.0 like this one:

SanDisk 256 GB flash drive

It's $25.

You can set it as a Time Machine backup or use cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another drive in the 1TB range is at Costco:

https://www.costco.com/sandisk...oduct.100527741.html

I've had one for a couple of years now - it has both USB-C and a USB-A adapter plug.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 2TB Samsung SSD from Best Buy when on sale for about $115.

The 1TB was $89

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Flash drives are convenient and cheap and have sufficient capacity for me. But I couldn’t figure out how long data could be retained on them. My impression is that data lasts longer on an ssd than on a flash drive.

Anybody know the real scoop?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I would avoid ^^^^^ that enclosure and any other that requires external power.

The Oyen MiniPro only requires external power if running a 2.5" platter drive in it, and even then some platter drives will run from bus power. SSDs all run from bus power. That's why the power brick is an optional extra. Most buyers will be using an SSD and won't need external power.

Another use case that may require external power is folks still using USB 2.0, which does not provide enough bus power for a platter drive.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I have THREE Lecie BU drives - they have been very goo to us. I am a photographer and graphics guy. Lots of client's work on them.Be award, any drive has a life span. https://www.lacie.com

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Flash drives are convenient and cheap and have sufficient capacity for me. But I couldn’t figure out how long data could be retained on them. My impression is that data lasts longer on an ssd than on a flash drive.

Anybody know the real scoop?

Flash drives are for transport. Not reliable backup. I would never rely on a single flash drive as my only copy of anything.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I back up to a 4TB Seagate external drive, and a Sandisk 256GB flash drive.

The problem I've had with the flash drive is it declares itself full and I have to reformat it to make it useful again, losing my data on it, in the process. It just serves as my "suspenders" in my mind, so that is OK.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
The Western Digital Passport models (both spinners and SSDs) have served me well as Time Machine drives for many years, and are not too costly. They take their power from the USB port itself so you don't have to fuss with a wall wart.

I agree! Get a WD external hard drive and do a Time Machine backup of your computer. You can set up the new computer using the Time Machine backup.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I use an inexpensive SSD placed into a $10 enclosure with a USB connection.

If you are risk averse, I would avoid La Cie hardware. I have lost three such hard drives, with minimal use.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flash drives are for transport. Not reliable backup. I would never rely on a single flash drive as my only copy of anything.

I would never rely on ANY single device or media of any type as my only copy of anything.
There is nothing inherently unreliable about flash drives as a temporary storage media. Writing to them continuously does degrade them so I certainly wouldn't suggest that, but have a couple with copies of some data to transfer to a new machine is at least to me a reasonable strategy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Great! Getting the M1 architecture?

I too have a cheap-ish 1Tb SSD, a Crucial M4., with a usb-c adapter for connectivity.
I use the M4 with MacOS Time Machine.

A separate PNY 256Gb USB for separate storage copy of music.
Another PNY 512Gb USB for a copy of documents and images.

</chris>

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post