SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passenger lands Cessna 208 after pilot passes out
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passenger lands Cessna 208 after pilot passes out Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
80 y/o woman landed plane, after her pilot husband collapsed and died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fuV6j87Bo8

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Sigh.
Problem, Pipe Smoker???

It's a valid question. If you think there aren't issues with this shot and adverse reactions with pilots, then your head is up and locked up your ass. Being in the aviation industry, I am VERY concerned about the VAERS data that CONTINUES to pour in, and it is WAAAAAAAY understated. I know of pilots PERSONALLY at my particular airline that are unable to hold a medical certificate due to cardiac issues that surfaced after they took the shot.

If this is of no concern to you, then so be it. But don't even THINK about starting any shit with me on this topic as it relates to aviation, because I'll straight up tell you to shut your pipe-filled cake hole. After what I've endured since August, I'm nowhere NEAR being in the mood...

So...have anything else to add?

Do I have anything else to add? Just this: obscene and vituperative remarks directed towards a member ought not to be seen in this forum.

Opinions and advice, yes.
Obscenity and vituperation, no.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8949 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Bad day. Bad week, really. My apologies for a momentary lapse in brain cells. Wasting this energy arguing such trivial matters ain’t worth it. Have a good night and better tomorrow.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
@12131

When my uncle was starting to get up there in age, my aunt took some lessons just for this reason. If my uncle were to ever have an episode or worse, she would know enough to be able to land the plane.

Now my uncle is at an age where my aunt doesn't go flying with him at all. And I'm sure they are both happier for it. Big Grin

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I am always amazed that every time (yes every time) there is a flying related thread, the tension and snarkiness ramps up to a level that is equal only to political and religious threads.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Note to self: look up vituperation.

Edited: Done, means just what I thought it meant.

Edit #2: This is the perfect time for pipe smoker to use the phrase "stick that in your pipe and smoke it". Just sayin, lost opportunity there.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I’ve watched a lot of Mentour Pilot on YouTube, so I’m pretty much a pro. Could probably land the Space Shuttle.

In realty, I probably could get a radio to 121.5 and shout mayday. Followed by 10-4, good buddy! Comeback.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I heard that there was a similar incident in Israel. The Air Traffic Controller in Tel Aviv told the passenger, "Repeat after me: יִתְגַּדַּל וְיִתְקַדַּשׁ שְׁמֵהּ רַבָּא."
The first line of the Mourner's Kaddish, a prayer for the dead. The Christian equivalent of this joke would probably be "Repeat after me: 'Our Father . . .'."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I am always amazed that every time (yes every time) there is a flying related thread, the tension and snarkiness ramps up to a level that is equal only to political and religious threads.

That's because we (pilots) are all assholes and convinced we are the smartest person in the room.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The passenger describes his piloting experience. I’m thinking that the other passenger had plenty of time to panic. Smile

>"By the time I stopped the plane, that's when it hit me. I was pretty calm and collected the whole time, because I knew it was a life-or-death situation," recalls Darren Harrison. "Either you do what you have to do to control the situation or you're gonna die. And that's what I did.”

Darren Harrison, 39, who was one of two passengers on the aircraft, told NBC News he had no time to panic and remained calm throughout the ordeal.

"Somebody asked me the other day what my heart rate was or what I thought my heart rate was when all of that was going on, and I said probably in the 90s. And they said, what about when it was all over. And I said it was probably 160," he told Savannah Guthrie in an interview on NBC's TODAY show…<

Sky News report:
https://news.sky.com/story/amp...-in-florida-12614359

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8949 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"An air traffic controller who helped a passenger with no flying experience land a plane in Florida when the pilot suddenly fell ill has said the moment "felt like I was in a movie".

The passenger radioed an urgent plea for help off Florida's Atlantic coast on Tuesday and was able to land the plane safely with the help of Robert Morgan after the pilot became "incoherent" following a medical emergency.

The air traffic controller, who has 20 years' experience, said in a video released by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) that he was just doing his job, but at a higher level than he thought he would have to do it.

Mr Morgan said: "We've never had anything like that.

"I felt like I was in a movie."

The aircraft was occupied by the pilot and two passengers, according to an FAA news release, officials have not identified any of them.

According to Flight Aware, the plane had taken off from Marsh Harbour International Airport in the Bahamas."

https://news.sky.com/story/i-f...-in-florida-12611326

How come we never see headlines like FLORIDA MAN Lands Cessna 208 After Pilot Passes Out"?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A coolhead, an ATC/flight instructor, AND a good surgeon. Pilot suffered an aortic dissection, survived surgery and has been discharged. (per NBC news) Happy ending !

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
More info. The pilot’s name is Kenneth Allen. And his malady was “a Type A Dissection”. An artery in his heart had torn. He’s lucky to be alive.

“PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. —
Dr. Nishant Patel needed all of three seconds to sum up how Kenneth Allen is still alive.

“The story is a miracle after a miracle,” he said.

Allen is the pilot who collapsed aboard his Cessna Caravan last week, forcing a passenger with zero flight experience to land the plane at Palm Beach International Airport…”

More in this article:
https://www.wpbf.com/article/f...or-cardiac/40024458#

Serious about crackers

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Prolly because flying is a religion for a lot of folks.

ETA: or I suppose Herkdriver could be right. Wink

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
...Here’s a thread about someone who landed a plane with no aviation experience. He lived to tell the tale. Pretty cool if I do say so myself.
In the case of this thread, who gives a flying fuck if the pilot was Covid vaccinated, or had Ebola. The pilot passed out and a common dude landed the plane.
Bringing politics and shit into apolitical threads is stupid. It causes shit like this.

It would seem he's bringing 'science' into this thread...Science obviously tainted with much controversy, but 'science' none the less! Unfortunately it's interpreted by some (many?) as political, but that's where we are... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8881 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched a show on TV where they put a woman in a flight simulator for a large passenger plane . She had zero flying experience . An Instructor Pilot sat behind her and communicated through headphones . She was able to land the aircraft successfully . There was no coaching . No " Not that switch , the other one ." He talked to her as if he was in the tower watching her on the Radar .
Mind you , this was assuming a healthy aircraft in good weather , but still impressive .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I watched a show on TV where they put a woman in a flight simulator for a large passenger plane . She had zero flying experience . An Instructor Pilot sat behind her and communicated through headphones . She was able to land the aircraft successfully . There was no coaching . No " Not that switch , the other one ." He talked to her as if he was in the tower watching her on the Radar .
Mind you , this was assuming a healthy aircraft in good weather , but still impressive .

Mythbusters did it as well. Both guys put in a (737 IIRC) sim, midflight & told to land.
First attempt, no instruction, both crashed
Reset & 2nd attempt with 'tower' assist, both landed.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
They have aircraft with emergency buttons inside that will land themselves. A passenger simply hits a button, auto pilot takes over, notifies air traffic control, selects the nearest suitable airport, lands there, and even gives passengers instructions the entire way (including when to exit the aircraft after landing).

The computers inside these machines can do what humans used to do, making it much easier for somebody with zero experience to do it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
They have aircraft with emergency buttons inside that will land themselves. A passenger simply hits a button, auto pilot takes over, notifies air traffic control, selects the nearest suitable airport, lands there, and even gives passengers instructions the entire way (including when to exit the aircraft after landing).

The computers inside these machines can do what humans used to do, making it much easier for somebody with zero experience to do it.

But, to my knowledge, this has never happened on a US Commercial flight.
Outside of hijacking, a passenger has never taken over for an incapacitated pilot, on a US carrier, that I can recall.
I imagine between the copilot, and a potential deadhead pilot, it's extremely unlikely this situation would occur outside of a private/non-commercial flight.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
But, to my knowledge, this has never happened on a US Commercial flight.
Outside of hijacking, a passenger has never taken over for an incapacitated pilot, on a US carrier, that I can recall.
I imagine between the copilot, and a potential deadhead pilot, it's extremely unlikely this situation would occur outside of a private/non-commercial flight.

I certainly wouldn’t expect it on a Part 121 (scheduled airline) flight, or even a Part 135 (charter) flight with two professional crew (not all 135 requires two crew members). Folks do become disabled, pilots hopefully less so than others, but it does happen. Having two qualified crew members helps minimize the drama on those rare occasions when it does.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post