SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One dollar coins, two dollar bills
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One dollar coins, two dollar bills Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
$11 for a wash

Dang, son.

I usually hand wash my car at home for pennies worth of water, soap, and wax.

But even when I'm in a hurry and go to the quarter car wash bay, it takes like $3 worth of quarters to wash, rinse, and spot-free rinse.

Quarter car wash?

The local one by me costs $9 with a cheat. Spray car down high pressure soap, foam spray car, wheel cleaner foam for wheels, foam spray microfiber cloth I bring. Use microfiber to half ass bucket wash car starting top down.

High pressure soap spray two minutes, high pressure rinse three minutes.

9-10 minutes car wash time plus 5-6 minutes wipe down with soap laden microfiber. Run home wipe remaining water off with clean microfibers to avoid water spots.

So it's triple the cost here, plus using the cheat of the microfiber. For $10 (10 min) you can get car 70% clean with spray and pray only.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
When I was Army Finance in Europe we used to get all the Susan B's and 2 dollar bills, not that we wanted them but I was told since they were not popular in the states they offloaded them on us.

Posts: 3576 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Post Office here gives $1 coins as change.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6493 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asking at the local branch only works if the tellers actually have some control over the cash. I needed two fives for a ten and wanted them to be crisp nice bills. Teller says she has no control over what comes out of the machine. No more cash drawers.

She feeds my ten to what looks like a large toaster oven and, after some interaction on a keyboard, a bunch of whirring and clicking followed more keyboard, out pops two ratty looking fives.

What used to take 15-20 seconds now takes 3-4 minutes and results in not what was requested. Oh well, at least the teller is still a real person - I guess. After watching Westworld, I’m not so sure

Posts: 778 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I only have a collection of one dollar coins and two dollar bills from times I came across them and kept them. Most were when I was young and worked in a grocery store. I would grab them and swap them out with my own money; even wheat pennies or buffalo nickels. The only time I bought anything was in 2008 when the new presidential one dollar coin came out and it was found out some failed to have the edge lettering. I bought a bunch in hopes of getting some to be a mint error, but got none.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8669 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
About 12 years ago I was into collecting coins again pretty heavily and asked a teller at my US Bank "if she had any of the big $1 coins." She said "As a matter of fact, I have a whole bunch of them. I'm tired of adding them to my count every day." I told her I would take them all, thinking she was going to come back with stacks and stacks of Morgans and Peace. Not quite, but I walked out with 300 Eisenhower dollars, a couple generations worth of tooth fairy money, which is what I received from the tooth fairy as a kid.

Posts: 2527 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father carried a $2 silver certificate bill in his wallet with all important dates to him written on it. Along with an emergency $100.

His wallet sits in my safe exactly as it was on the day of his passing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Have you tried asking in-person at your local branch?"
By 1967goat

Boy,I tell you what.
You hit the nail on the head.

I spent 20 minutes in the bank on other business,
The teller had some twos,
Another teller had some more 2's.

And a third teller had most of the dollar coins that I requested.

And my faith in US Bank has been restored.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
$11 for a wash

Dang, son.

I usually hand wash my car at home for pennies worth of water, soap, and wax.

But even when I'm in a hurry and go to the quarter car wash bay, it takes like $3 worth of quarters to wash, rinse, and spot-free rinse.

I get unlimited car washes for $30 a month. They have strong vacuums, air hoses to blow dirt out, I suppose. They also provide clean towels to wipe down your car both inside and (outside if you want - I use the air hose). They have a carpet mat cleaner but I have rubber ones. When you drive through, someone sprays down your front windshield and offers you a dashboard wipe and an air freshener hanger. Regular price is $20 for one time so if I go just twice a month, it pays for itself. I try to go at least once a week. And once a month I spend time there maintaining the leather seats.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19708 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local car wash mixes quarters and tokens randomly to discourage people abusing the change machine. It happens to be very close to a coin laundry.

That coin laundry recently switched to using cell phone apps, removing change machine. Still uses quarters, but the local bank wouldn't exchange a 20 bill for quarters without driver's license.

Now, I ask teller when I withdraw, the denominations I'd like. They are happy to oblige.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a workmate who was a Shrine clown. To say the least a character! RIP Geneo. For some reason he absolutely despised the dollar coins, BUT, this guy would get 2 dollar bills at one of the local banks that were bound along the top edge like scratch paper pads. He just loved to tear them off to pay for whatever small purchases he made. I never found which local bank he dealt with but it would be a bit of fun to get a pad of those. I think he had to buy $100 pads of them.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2895 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never found which local bank he dealt with but it would be a bit of fun to get a pad of those.

Bills ($2 or otherwise) don't come like that from the mint, and I'd be surprised if any bank took the time to produce and offer those themselves.

Rather, Geneo almost certainly made his own. It's really simple, with some clamps, a couple pieces of cardboard, and a little rubber cement. For example: https://www.instructables.com/2-Bill-Pad/

You can do the same with any denomination of currency.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I never found which local bank he dealt with but it would be a bit of fun to get a pad of those.

Bills ($2 or otherwise) don't come like that from the mint, and I'd be surprised if any bank took the time to produce and offer those themselves.

Rather, Geneo almost certainly made his own. It's really simple, with some clamps, a couple pieces of cardboard, and a little rubber cement. For example: https://www.instructables.com/2-Bill-Pad/

You can do the same with any denomination of currency.

I had a friend with a printing shop and they would get packs of brand new 1’s and 2’s and 5’s and make pads of them like that with the non sticky glue along one end. Just like a scratch pad. I’m sure they would do larger bills if requested They would sell them in pads of 25 bills with thin cardboard at the bottom for face value plus a small premium for their effort. Fun times to put it a check book cover and open it up and peel off a a few bills. The looks on a merchant or waiters face when peeling off currency off a tear off pad was always great.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
"Have you tried asking in-person at your local branch?"
By 1967goat

Boy,I tell you what.
You hit the nail on the head.

I spent 20 minutes in the bank on other business,
The teller had some twos,
Another teller had some more 2's.

And a third teller had most of the dollar coins that I requested.

And my faith in US Bank has been restored.

You found a branch bank with more than one active teller! Holy Cow!

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My wallet has an old $2 bill that is getting pretty worn. I have never been interested in the non-silver $1 coins, but I have a few old silver Dollars stashed somewhere. (Of course, they're worth a lot more than a Dollar now.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post