SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One dollar coins, two dollar bills
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One dollar coins, two dollar bills Login/Join 
posted
For those that prefer using cash,
And like one dollar coins and 2 dollar bills,
Where do you obtain them ?

What's your secret?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I just ask at my bank

Posts: 11234 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny timing. I just cashed a check today and got the 2 dollar bills and dollar coins the teller had in her drawer.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
What Brad said. If your bank doesn't have any on hand, they can order them in.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15731 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I called three U S Banks in my area they refused to offer any assistance at all
None, zip, zero , zilch.

In order to get them in four me , I'd have to order hundreds of dollars worth of each

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
My friend Rich, who runs Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger in Ann Arbor has handed out $2 bills as change at the store for decades as sort of a signature. He gets them from his bank, and has been doing it long enough that they save/order them for him. As with many aspects of life, it pays to maintain good relationships with the folks with whom you interact regularly (and everybody else too).

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave them to my Nephews when they were growing up.
They got a kick out of them.

Posts: 970 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Yeah I called three U S Banks in my area

Have you tried asking in-person at your local branch?

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My bank keeps a supply of $2 bills on hand, so they're always readily available at their branches.

I've never asked about $1 coins.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
I gave them to my Nephews when they were growing up.
They got a kick out of them.

that's a grandma thing...LOL

Posts: 2790 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the coins for tipping at the drive up windows and
The bills for tipping at the restaurants.

posted Hide Post
The vending machine at work makes change in dollar coins. Every once in a while, I'll buy a pop with a $5 bill and keep the dollar coins in my pocket. They come in handy occasionally.

Posts: 5168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use $2 bills for the pay pipe at my gun club. Easy way to ID myself should any questions arise about me paying for range time. I get mine from my bank.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
When our washer died we used the laundromat. Their change machine gives out dollar coins for the washer and dryers.
I'm not sure they like people just walking in w/ bills and walking out w/ coins though as I'm sure they have to replenish them from time time.

Posts: 7378 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried asking in-person at your local branch

You know I only go inside once in a while,
I am going to try it Thursday while in the big city.

posted Hide Post
The vending machine at the Post Office gives change in dollar coins. I think that’s the main way the US gov gets rid of them

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I usually get the $1 coins at a car wash down the street. $11 for a wash, put in $15 and get 4 coins back!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
$11 for a wash

Dang, son.

I usually hand wash my car at home for pennies worth of water, soap, and wax.

But even when I'm in a hurry and go to the quarter car wash bay, it takes like $3 worth of quarters to wash, rinse, and spot-free rinse.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
You know I only go inside once in a while,
I am going to try it Thursday while in the big city.

Be sure to go to a bank where you already have an account.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
A lot of vending machines return change in the form of dollar coins instead of piles of quarters.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post