SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need shooting/work glove recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need shooting/work glove recommendations Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
It's that time of year where it becomes outrageously cold outside....wind chill of -6 already this weekend. I'm not sure if it's age, weight-loss, or poor circulation due to diabetes, but my fingers just can't tolerate the cold anymore...after a few minutes exposed to the outside air they get so stiff that I lose dexterity and can't perform functions that I need to like loading mags, working zippers, or writing.

I need something thin enough to allow me to do those things while still providing enough warmth to keep my joints usable. Also, they need to be tight enough that the material on the finger tips isn't getting wedged in between rounds and mag feed lips or other similar problems. They don't have to be waterproof...I try to avoid shoving my hands into the snow.

My regular work gloves that I use for going hands-on and searching people are Mechanix brand, and while they're great gloves they're just not warm enough for winter conditions around here. I tried some wool gloves from Midway, and while they were a bit warmer (but still not warm enough), the material was too loose and kept getting caught in things.

Any links/recommendations would be appreciated.

Posts: 8665 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Outdoor Research are the king of gloves in my opinion. https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/gloves

I keep a pair of thin synthetic liner gloves (OR brand) that fit under my work gloves. In my truck I have a thicker pair of “running” gloves from Costco. They are tight fitting, about like a lightweight base layer, though not “silk” weight. They layer nicely with a looser pair of leather gloves.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Couple of options:

1) Glove liners. Offered by most winter glove/clothing manufacturers. They're tight gloves, intended to be worn either as a standalone thin glove for mildly cold weather or as an inner layer inside bulkier snow gloves in really cold weather. About the same thickness as Mechanix gloves, but a little warmer. These are what I wear on duty when it's a little chilly. Mine are from Mammut, and I think they're an older version of these: https://www.mammut.com/us/en/p...380-0001/astro-glove

2) Police winter duty gloves. These are thicker and warmer than glove liners or Mechanix gloves, but still relatively thin enough to allow for weapon manipulation and searching. These are what I wear on duty during colder weather. Mine are from Hatch. I believe they're these: https://safariland.com/collect...ing-duty-glove-17657

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^^ those Hatch gloves are what I wore on patrol in the winter. You can still shoot if needed. There are neoprene.

But if I were to be outside for any amount of time, I’d add some mittens over top of those hatch gloves OP

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
^^^ those Hatch gloves are what I wore on patrol in the winter. You can still shoot if needed. There are neoprene.

But if I were to be outside for any amount of time, I’d add some mittens over top of those hatch gloves OP

Yeah, they're not "Alaska State Trooper backcountry patrol" gloves. And your hands do still get cold if you're outside in frigid weather for a long time.

However, winter gloves are generally a tradeoff between thick and warm or thin and dexterous. I think these Hatch duty gloves are about as thick/warm as you can get while still being able to shoot reasonably easily. (Be sure to practice with them on, though...)

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've used the Hatch gloves in the past. They were ok...not much better insulated than my Mechanix, and more expensive, which is why I switched.

It get's REALLY cold here...-20 isn't unusual for at least a week or so out of the year, and I've seen -50 before. Alaska State Trooper temperatures aren't that far off, although thankfully we aren't usually out of the car for as long as those guys. What I want may not exist...I may have to make do with two layers...a thin underlayer for dexterity and a thicker one for warmth...but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

Posts: 8665 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I know you guys are already over-loaded with gear, and places to put it...but any chance that some of the pocket hand warmers might help out?

I haven't tried this brand before but have used others during prolonged activity in sub zero temps and had pretty good results.

Good deal on Zippo hand warmers

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Heavy duty nitrile gloves are a great way to cut wind. If it’s that cold you might not sweat them out.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Heavy duty nitrile gloves are a great way to cut wind. If it’s that cold you might not sweat them out.

Yeah, I go through a lot of those! They do work as a wind block, but they also hold any moisture inside, which tends to freeze if it's cold enough. We're usually using those for searching vehicles, which tend to be warmer, and then you get frozen standing around outside when you're done.

I may give those outdoor research liners a try...they look like they might be a good fit!

Hand warmers aren't a horrible idea, either...my jacket pockets still have some space available.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
When I was younger I was %100 hot blooded, but as I've gotten older and serious chronic health issues have kicked in, I'm increasingly noticing just how cold my hands/ fingers, and feet get... and it doesn't even have to be all that cold out temperature wise. 20s and below can really cause my hands and fingers to get chilled...useable but reduced functioning...and just walking back into a warm room or vehicle isn't enough to thaw them out either. Often takes a hot meal and hot beverage, or at least a hot shower, before they thaw out.

I know this isn't practical or good practice for LEOs, really anyone at all... but I gotta say that one of my guilty pleasures, once I get back home from a cold venture out, is to pull my gun out of its holster and just hold onto it for a few minutes. Instant hand warmer. Works fantastic and no lighter fluid needed! Cool Same is true when I pull my knife from my pocket.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vdvnOH060Qg

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outdoor Research has fine gloves.

Hestra is arguably the finest outdoor glove brand on the market. They're an investment but, then again you're trying to keep your extremities warm.

One of the challenges with glove manufacturing is maintaining enough space to trap the necessary warm air to keep your digits warm, while reducing the bulk and volume of insulation; get a glove too tight and you won't be able to maintain any warmth since you're restricting blood flow into your digits. If you introduce waterproofing, that multiplies the complication level exponentially since you're dealing with a crazy amount of seems/stitching in a very small space, all the while, how much tactile dexterity can you compromise.

A well made soft-shell glove may be what you need, The North Face Apex Bionic Glove

Posts: 14692 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Are you keeping the rest of you plenty warm? Your body shunts heat to your core which leaves hands and feet cold through lowered circulation.

There are winter mechanics gloves, as well as rotating your current gloves with another pair stored on the defrosters. Merino wool liners are pretty nice but tend to be delicate for anyone who actually works.

Maybe go with a very light duty mechanics glove as the liner then a crazy oversized glove over. We have a wool liner and golden gripper combo we use (yes they suck but it’s what we make work in bitter cold. Look to package handling gloves some are pretty decent and there are winter models

I work outdoors in MN so I can relate.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5165 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Outdoor Research, plus they have, or had, a pro discount account you can apply for. I've got multiple pairs, though most are warm weather gloves.

I need to see if they can be replaced, but I lost a pair of lighter weight fleece gloves from Cabela's that worked well for me on duty in the winter.

Another company to look at, if you can stand their over-the-top advertising style, is Viktos. I just got a pair of their winter gloves and they seem promising. Plus they go up to 3xl, giving us guys with massive paws an option with plenty of room for liners if needed.

One thing that has always bothered me about cold weather duty gloves is how to sanitize them. I wipe them down with alcohol wipes, which doesn't seem to damage them, but I don't know how thorough that is in cleaning them.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Best advice I got…

Move south lol

I’ve not yet found what you are looking for. I’ve tried. Outdoor Research was the closest.

Even considered dropping a mint in some custom gloves at one point.

I gave up and got myself promoted Razz

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

I know this isn't practical or good practice for LEOs, really anyone at all... but I gotta say that one of my guilty pleasures, once I get back home from a cold venture out, is to pull my gun out of its holster and just hold onto it for a few minutes. Instant hand warmer. Works fantastic and no lighter fluid needed! Cool Same is true when I pull my knife from my pocket.

Yeah....not really practical at work, plus riding OWB in a safariland gun bucket, the ol' P320 is probably the coldest thing on me. If you got your fingers wet they'd likely freeze to the slide, lol.

quote:
Look to package handling gloves some are pretty decent and there are winter models

I did a search for these and TSC has some that look intersting. Cool thing is we have a local store, so I can go check them out before I buy. I may make a trip in there tomorrow.

quote:
One thing that has always bothered me about cold weather duty gloves is how to sanitize them. I wipe them down with alcohol wipes, which doesn't seem to damage them, but I don't know how thorough that is in cleaning them.

I usually use rubber gloves for the really nasties, but sometimes you don't have time to put those on and you just gotta roll with what you've got. Sadly, the bloody naked guy typically won't wait for you to switch gloves, lol. For those cicumstances, I've slathered them up in hand sanitizer before as a stopgap, but I typically just throw them in the wash with my uniform, on hot. I figure they've all got the same cooties on them, and hopefully the soap and the machine will kill everything that might be there.

quote:
Move south lol

Subzero temperatures do indeed suck, but not anywhere near as bad as the 100+ degrees and humid you guys get down in the southeast. We usually have about a month of really hot weather in the summer, and I absolutely hate it, especially wearing a vest....but at least I know there's an end to it. I can layer up in the winter...in the summer, you can only take so much off....and when it's humid, even that doesn't help.