SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drowning In Debt: These States Are Approaching A Point Of No Return
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drowning In Debt: These States Are Approaching A Point Of No Return Login/Join 
posted
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...f-no-return-n2506053

Having grown up in New Jersey, you understand that Democrats are a tax and spend party and even liberals in the state understand it. The Garden State is a case study in mass exodus; it’s just too expensive to live there anymore. Are there signs that the Democrats get it? Maybe—the heavily Democratic legislature in Trenton had to tell Governor Phil Murphy that his tax increase agenda was more or less not going to happen. Taxes still went up, but it was not the insane proposal the governor’s office had pushed. Still, I doubt Demorats in these states will find rational solution to their fiscal woes. After decades of irresponsibility, these states are approaching a day of reckoning. It's the usual blue state madness crew: New Jersey, New York, Illinois, and California. For some, pension payments are a struggle (via Fox Business):

Connecticut may be the richest state in the country, on a per capita basis, but it's racked up a sizable debt worth more than $53 billion – and it could be taxpayers who are forced to bail out the Constitution State, according to the former governor of Indiana.

“Someone’s going to the barbershop,” Mitch Daniels, a Republican, said during an interview with FOX Business’ Stuart Varney on Thursday. “The first will be the taxpayers, already beleaguered in some of these states.”

And Connecticut isn’t the only state struggling with a debt crisis: California, Illinois, New Jersey and New York are unable to make pension payments to retired government workers.

In Illinois, for instance, vendors wait months to be paid by a government that’s $30 billion in debt, and one whose bonds are just one notch above junk bond status, according to Daniels. New York’s more than $356 billion in debt; New Jersey more than $104 billion; and California more than $428 billion.

My suggestion: if you live in these states, run!

Posts: 13128 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
My suggestion: if you live in these states, run!

Maybe want to qualify that with "and you were not part of the group that caused the problem, run!, otherwise, stay there and live with it... Razz

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arkansas has no debts and state pensions went up 3% on July 1!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Connecticut isn’t the only state struggling with a debt crisis: California, Illinois, New Jersey and New York are unable to make pension payments to retired government workers.

In Illinois, for instance, vendors wait months to be paid by a government that’s $30 billion in debt, and one whose bonds are just one notch above junk bond status, according to Daniels. New York’s more than $356 billion in debt; New Jersey more than $104 billion; and California more than $428 billion.

This is misleading. The people providing current services, under contract to the State of Illinois, aren't getting paid. Pension payments to retired government workers.... are still being paid out, 100%

What they are NOT doing is funding the pension fund to make FUTURE payments to retired government workers...

How long can it continue? Anybody's guess... but not forever.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24642 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
New Jersey can spend money at the State level, that is incomprehensible to those of us in fiscally responsible States. I have first hand knowledge.

Business trips for dozens of workers for matters easily handled by a conference call. Extensive out of State trips for trivial matters. All these account for millions of wasted dollars and lost productivity.

It's a way of life that has been going on for 2-3 generations now.....NOT going to ever STOP.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

Hmmmm....Maybe a pension system that has retired firemen getting $200,000+ per year wasn't such a great idea.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And every single one is a long term liberal controlled hell hole - not a coincidence when I had a window of opportunity I beat feet out of New York and things worked out very well. Sadly not everyone who is a freedom loving conservative can make the jump.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All that's necessary is hold out until we get a democratic administration in DC. Then we will get
another stimulus deal

Posts: 152 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

Hmmmm....Maybe a pension system that has retired firemen getting $200,000+ per year wasn't such a great idea.

It's a great idea if your that recipient.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a great idea if your that recipient.

So are most ponzi schemes. It's all good... until there's no one left to put in new money.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24642 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
It's not just the states . . .

Philadelphia ranks 73rd out of 75 major U.S. cities in financial health. By Karisma Maheshwari 03/22/18

Truth in Accounting’s Financial State of the Cities report, which was released earlier this year, found that Philadelphia's taxpayers would need to contribute more than $20,000 per person to pay all of the city’s bills, which amount to $16.2 billion.

http://www.thedp.com/article/2...enn-financial-health

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Funny how they've all been controlled by Dumbocrats for the last 50-70 years.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
New Jersey, New York, Illinois, and California. I hope they go bankrupt. I hope they get to a point they can't pay their employees, their teachers, their government workers, their police. I hope they go flat broke. I hope they can't fund any of their social programs, their food stamps, whatever. I hope life gets miserable in those states.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those people who hopefully one day get a NY state pension. But it's in exchange for 30+ years of working for half the prevailing wage. The pensions aren't the problem, it's the EVERYWHERE ELSE that the money is going, like relief aide to Puerto Rico for example. Confused

Posts: 21383 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I live in NJ too. Luckily I live in a red county. Places like Newark, Paterson and towns close to the city cause the state to be blue.
Its an awesome state but ruined by politicians even when the.state was ruled by GB.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3944 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
New Jersey, New York, Illinois, and California. I hope they go bankrupt. I hope they get to a point they can't pay their employees, their teachers, their government workers, their police. I hope they go flat broke. I hope they can't fund any of their social programs, their food stamps, whatever. I hope life gets miserable in those states.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said! They will reap what they sowed...

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
I am an active LEO in NJ. I am in my 17th year. Wife and I are out the day I can retire...9 more years. I hope I make it.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
When you are " out " you will take your pension and run to a lower tax state. And who can blame you?

-rduckwor

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 104RFAST:
All that's necessary is hold out until we get a democratic administration in DC. Then we will get
another stimulus deal

That's exactly what these bankrupt states are hoping for... a bailout at the expense of taxpayers from more frugal states.

-rduckwor

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Local counties, cities, towns, and quasis can declare bankruptcy. States and territories cannot. Otherwise, Illinois and Puerto Rico would have already gone chapter 9.

For states, the burden will be upon the taxpayer, employees, and retirees.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post