SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electrical Help Please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical Help Please Login/Join 
posted
Have an outdoor outlet that has a GFCI on top and a light switch on the bottom. Weather protected. Bought new outlet and switch as the light switch appears to have failed.
I can't figure out how to get into the box in order to replace them. Kind of looks sealed shut.
I'd post a photo but apparently I'm too technologically challenged to do so.

Posts: 1973 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Can you email me one?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20845 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jesse,
Think I was able to send it. Thanks

Posts: 1973 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Strange. Inuse covers usually attach in one or more of three ways. That appears to have none. There are screw holes in the four corners. My guess is that the cover has snap on cover to it. Probably need to pry it off to see screws. Try looking for little gap and gently prying back with small Flathead.

Did you already remove any screws? If so, it's probably caulked in place.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20845 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I had removed the screws thinking that interior cover area would slide away. It does not. Only thing I can see working is slicing into the caulk to see if that will release it. Afraid it was caulked together and anything I do is going to then require replacing the whole box.
Thought it was going to be fairly easy, now looking like not so much.

On a positive note I was able to replace the one that controls the gas fireplace without too much effort.

Thanks for posting the photo.

posted Hide Post
Looks like the cover is painted onto the box. Tap on the backside of the cover's flange and see if it will come off of the box.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If you have already removed four screws from the slots at the top of switch and plug, just use a razor knife to cut caulk. Clean off old caulk and replace inuse cover.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
You should be able to cut the caulk and get it off without damaging it.......cut the caulk with a razor blade or knife.....get a VERY thin screwdriver in the crack and carefully pry lightly as you cut away the caulk and work your way around the entire box moving the screwdriver or adding ones when you do. Make sure you don't put the screwdriver in too far to damage wiring AND make sure the breaker to it is turned off.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post