SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Samsung to Samsung phone upgrade help please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Samsung to Samsung phone upgrade help please. Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
Boss finally upgraded my company phone. Going from a Samsung Galaxy 5 Sport to a S10e. I have a couple of questions. I have watched a couple of videos online using Samsung Smart Switch.

I have ran the Google back up and the Samsung Back up.

I plan to activate the new phone first. I have the company account info and Pin number in case I have to call them for help.

Per the video I should move Micro SD card with all my photos before I run smart switch, correct?

Delete a couple of documents I do not want anymore. Then run the smart switch. Here comes the questions.

1.Should I see what all is preloaded on the new phone and uncheck those apps before I start the smart switch?? Example would be like 1Weather, Google Street View, etc.

2.I have two apps that have user info and points and messages. Will the auto sign in transfer over with the two apps keeping my Screen Name and associated info? One app is an online free poker site and the other is NRA-ILA site which is kind of like Facebook.

My email client is G Mail so I believe no emails will be moved to the new phone. Isn’t all those emails kept on the G Mail account site??

Thanks for you helping this old non tech guy!!

Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna want to be able to find this later. Sorry, Best of luck

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went from an S5 to an S10 earlier this year. I just ran Smart Switch without doing any of the things you mentioned.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
What Steve said. As to the bloatware already on the new phone: probably can't delete them.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the same and my wife did too about 3 months back.

I moved both our SD cards after smart switch as it was supposed to move everything.

In reality it didn't. It moved most everything including pictures that were in my default gallery location, but not in folders I created, or my WhatsApp folder etc. Also I ended up reinstalling a lot of apps as the s5 didn't support the latest versions, but the S10 does so to get the extra functionality they had to be updated.

It wasn't a big deal and didn't take that long as the S10 was lightning fast compared to the s5.

I back up media periodically so I just backed up my sd as part of the transfer.

In summary I did the following:

1. Used smart switch
2. Backed up all I wanted to save from s5 to SD, then backed up SD to PC
3. Formatted sd and inserted into S10
4. Checked all apps I use regularly and updated as needed.
5. Ensured email was functioning and set to transfer all history as I work remotely and often need to find old emails on my phone. This took hours if not days to complete.
6. Continued to customize the S10 until it was set up almost just like my s5.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I went from an S5 to S8. Ran the smart switch and everything moved with no problems.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I've gone from a note 8 to a note 9 then to the note 10+. All I did was sign in and go. I put all my pics on my SD card to be safe.

You may run into some trouble making a big jump from a 5 to a 10. There may be some app features that won't work the same.

Posts: 7403 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Got you all beat - I went from an S3 to an S10e. Big Grin

Switched over per the provided directions then moved over the SD card. All is well and present on the new phone.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went from a Samsung Note 4 to a Samsung S9+. Worst phone I have ever had. Has a mind of its own. Sets itself on airplane mode without my input. I go to take a photo only to find its on video or selfie. Looked to me like the Samsung 9 phones weren't out very long before the Samsung 10 phones appeared. Maybe Samsung realized they were a POS.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I went from a Samsung Note 4 to a Samsung S9+. Worst phone I have ever had. Has a mind of its own. Sets itself on airplane mode without my input. I go to take a photo only to find its on video or selfie. Looked to me like the Samsung 9 phones weren't out very long before the Samsung 10 phones appeared. Maybe Samsung realized they were a POS.

I made the same switch & have had no problems with the S9+. A better phone than the N4 in just about every way.
My USB died on the N4, so I couldn't do the switch that way, and they seem to have gotten rid of the NFC transfer option.

Coworker had a S10 & constantly has issues.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15981 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

Things kind of went well with the smart switch of data. For some reason I had to run it twice. None of my Texts message were transferred the first time. After second time all was there except two apps.

Lost my Points on the NRA-ILA app. So I can only request 5 friends a day. Put the work out on the feed and many members that were my friends on the app sent me friend requests. The really bad thing about starting over on the app is I could not post or reply to anyone's post until I got 1000 points.

Thanks Again

Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

I have a Samsung 9, not pleased at all with it. Everone recommended the Samsung to me when I had to get a new phone after my HTCM8 died.

The only reason I even cosidered the S9 is that the volume is louder than most phones, it helps with my diminished hearing, when I listen to music while walking.

I miss My HTC.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
I went from an S5 to an S10 earlier this year. I just ran Smart Switch without doing any of the things you mentioned.

Ditto. Just did the same in July.

Posts: 33039 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rotty37
posted Hide Post
Smart Switch from Samsung is the way to go. It makes a complete backup of everything and can be restored to your new phone.

I just recently replaced my Samsung S8 Active to Samsung Galaxy A50 and it works great.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4452 | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post