SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ICE makes more arrests at decoy university; some detainees being deported
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ICE makes more arrests at decoy university; some detainees being deported Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
Link.

Well, it's a start.

Note the article states most of the "students" were Indian.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Is Kwame Kilpatrick the President?

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If ICE wanted to make some arrests, they could go to WalMart on a Saturday and Sunday...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Something is missing from this story. Why would someone be arrested for enrolling in what they thought was a legitimate, accredited school? In fact, why would they be allowed into the country to begin with, if their visa was bogus or missing? If this school also provided the F1 visa, I don't see how this can't be called entrapment. Unless the school had "officials" who told applicants it was a bogus school, how would foreigners know? And if DHS was also handing out legitimate visas just to get the students here, so they could arrest them, that sounds to me like a gross misuse of resources.

Mrs. Lee went to a real school that was sort of set up as a visa factory for Asian students, as in 100% of the students were from China or Malaysia. But they did have classes, were accredited and really did process F1 visas and OPT. They later lost their accreditation, but I don't think they were bending the law at all. I can't see how USCIS would be processing F1s and OPT for a place that was bogus.

Posts: 3558 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the students never took a real class, and they have no proof of off campus studying/tests then they knew it was a fake school.

Most likely the work got around in India that you could enroll at this fake school, and then emigrate to the USA. This works best if the women have an anchor baby.

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
If the students never took a real class, and they have no proof of off campus studying/tests then they knew it was a fake school.

Right. But that would only be possible after they arrived in the US. Since F1 visas are not handed out without the documentation/cooperation of the school, any student still in India had to believe it was legit because they'd otherwise not have gotten the visa. When I get a Chinese visa from a Chinese travel agency in the US, even when I know there wasn't enough time for them to have FedEx'ed my passport to their consulate in LA and back, I assume the visa is legit. And I've never had an issue upon arrival. Anyone outside the US who gets a US visa from a US consulate and is then let into the US at the airport, has to think it's legit. Why wouldn't they? No one but the US gov't. issues US visas.

Posts: 3558 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the persons in India probably heard by word of the fake school, via word of mouth. Anyone legit person, who was duped, might not of known until they arrived in the US.

Did any of the 600 students contact the authorities, and complain about the fake school? Most likely the vast majority knew before hand that this was a sham. I admit, that running a fake school with the intent of arresting or deporting students seems a little slimy. Perhaps if they put the same effort into finding and taking down real schools that were doing the same thing more could be accomplished.

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What a fucking waste of money. Arresting people who are applying to a masters program. I'd say they are pretty low level threats to us. Not likely they are going to become criminals or live on welfare. I get that they broke the law and all, but they aren't my biggest concern right now.

A way better investment over building a fake university would be cursing 7-eleven and home depot parking lots. You could easily get 600 in one weekend just in my area. Seems like a way better value proposition that creating a fully accredited fake university. All you need for my method is a paddy wagon and ID scanner.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Or outside any Home Depot at 7:00 am.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
If ICE wanted to make some arrests, they could go to WalMart on a Saturday and Sunday...

Posts: 1980 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post