SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Very serious question about gay culture in the 80s
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Very serious question about gay culture in the 80s Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Government bullshit will never end, it's part of what make the government the government.

Some do not realize that one of the same government guys responsible for the BS back in the 80s is the same government guys responsible for the BS today.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
In the 80's I was in the Southwest and was a volunteer Firefighter/EMT. We had monthly continuing education which was necessary for recertification every three years.

We learned more about HIV through the news media than official sources, the mindset being that this was an urban issue in places like L.A. and would not affect us. A friend moved back to So-Cal in late 1983 and went to work for a large private EMS provider there. I asked him last spring if and what he remembered HIV training, he said to the best of his memory he received nothing there also.

If memory is correct we started getting information sometime in the last year or so that I was licensed, that would have been 1987.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
worked retail since 1980, and was married in 1986

I am sure some of my classmates (class of 81) are gay, no real thoughts on who was, (there were a few rumors, )

working retail, a lot of the folks I worked with were/are gay,
some were out, some were not, or as least as out as you could be in the early 80's,

there were a couple 'Gay bars' for men, and one that was always called a Dyke bar, for women,
supposedly they never really hung out together,, I did not go to either,
and a couple parks that men hung out at, as in getting busy in the bushes,

some of the folks I worked with, if bored with the scene here in RVA, headed to DC or Roanoke,
apparently Roanoke still has a big gay scene,

anyhoo, in 86 when the wife and I got married, we had her best friend from high school as my usher,
he is gay, and was definitely out then,

great guy, he and his partner have been together as long as the wife and I have,

we were at their 10 high school anniversary, I knew maybe 10 people there, and was sitting at a table with this guy and his partner,

wife had gone off to chat with folks, and while at teh bar, one of the redneck guys she went to school with (school was south of Lynchburg, rural and bible belt type area) told her to be careful, the 'fags' were trying to convert me,

she bought spit her drink out laughing at the bozo,

while I was at that table, my usher told me he never had a problem getting a date in high school,
to his knowledge, he and another guy were the only 2 gay white dudes (there were supposedly a few gay or bi black dudes) and yet he dated a lot,

as in he and a 'straight guy' would go out, some type of sex, and never speak of it again (kinda like a baptist in a liquor store,,,)

I recall all knowing about AIDS,, (my usher is positive, as is his partner) but don't recall it slowing anyone down,

when I was a meat manager, my assistant was gay, (part time hairdresser, liked to party in Roanoke,, as well) and if he cut himself folks had a cow thinking he was positive, he supposedly was not,

wife and I put in for some life insurance after we were married, and had to do a sexual practices questionnaire, as well as get blood tested, for HIV

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10592 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I waited tables at a restaurant on Fort Lauderdale Beach in 1982 when I moved down from Syracuse. I was the only straight guy there. It was very uncomfortable.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lyman:
worked retail since 1980, and was married in 1986

working retail, a lot of the folks I worked with were/are gay,
some were out, some were not, or as least as out as you could be in the early 80's,

Posts: 2061 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post