SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tonight is a Full Moon - ER's & other Places
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tonight is a Full Moon - ER's & other Places Login/Join 
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted
For some strange cosmic reason, for which I have no explanation or care, the full moon and Emergency Rooms don't mix well.

I've had real live tinfoil-hat wearing freaks, illegal aliens from Melmac (Alf's home planet), a confection-sugar snorting couple (please don't try it), a middle-aged male who thought he was a real live vampire (this one made the news, blood wasn't human after testing - but he became a guest of the psych ward), and a supposed single-person MVA with no trace of the car(turned into a drug-induced victim being thrown from a moving car - his garbled story at the time was that he was the driver, highway tapes showed he was thrown)

Articles have been written, most showing that its a real phenomenon. If it's quiet, it's considered really bad luck to comment on it - all hell breaks lose within minutes. So in preparation for the full moon, and since I know I'm already jinxing the entire staff:

What's your strangest "Full Moon" story? (no degree required)

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The full moon was yesterday.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
It was, and the last few evenings have been off-the-wall. Tonight is 97.3%, full to the naked eye.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you ever heard of a Luanatic Asylum?

Lunatic is an antiquated term referring to a person who is considered as mentally ill, dangerous, foolish, unpredictable, or crazy—conditions once attributed to lunacy. The word derives from lunaticus meaning "of the moon" or "moonstruck". The term was once commonly used in law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunatic

Philosophers such as Aristotle and Pliny the Elder argued that the full moon induced insane individuals with bipolar disorder by providing light during nights which would otherwise have been dark, and affecting susceptible individuals through the well-known route of sleep deprivation.

On December 5, 2012, the US House of Representatives passed legislation approved earlier by the US Senate removing the word "lunatic" from all federal laws in the United States.[1] President Barack Obama signed this legislation into law on December 28, 2012.[6]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wcb6092,

Posts: 12720 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Yes, I looked up at the moon last night and thought, "Thank God I'm not working tonight."

Yes, full moons and craziness go hand in hand when working the ER. Getting ready to go in tonight, hopefully the crazy has died down some...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11779 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked for several years in a prison mental ward. The moon had no effect-or it was so nuts all the time we didn't notice.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Only thing worse is when your partner looks at the radio and says “it sure is quiet tonight”

Posts: 1847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
My customers have gone completely insane, CS reps too.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife is a mental health professional -- Licensed Clinical (psychiatric) Social Worker.

She tells me that the full moon syndrome is not a joke.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
911 dispatcher here. It’s no joke at all. We always get our craziest calls around the full moon.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I can feel my nose getting longer and hairier.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15906 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
The full moon was yesterday.

I live out in the country, They have a delayed response out here. Wink

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Full moon around middle school students is no joke either.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drtenb330:
It was, and the last few evenings have been off-the-wall. Tonight is 97.3%, full to the naked eye.
Athens, Greece has a spectacular display of the Acropolis every Full Moon. They consider the Moon to be full for 3 consecutive nights. Normal visitations to the Acropolis at night are curtailed on Full Moon nights.

FWIW, the Moon has been partially obscured by clouds the last couple of nights here.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I was active in a volunteer first aid squad I used to hate duty crew on a full moon.
It was always guaranteed to be a busy night.
As a firefighter we did not see a difference in the number of calls.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2574 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Working in John Gaston Hospital (affectionately known as "The John"), four guys (by report) ran their car through a house. Worked on three of them for about six hours, and the fourth, supposedly in the car, was never found. Not in the car. Not in the house. Not in his place of residence. Not at his job. Pals swear he was there. Memphis cops stumped. Full moon.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Working in John Gaston Hospital (affectionately known as "The John"), four guys (by report) ran their car through a house. Worked on three of them for about six hours, and the fourth, supposedly in the car, was never found. Not in the car. Not in the house. Not in his place of residence. Not at his job. Pals swear he was there. Memphis cops stumped. Full moon.
Nah. Alien abduction.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post