SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WSJ article on Cobra guns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSJ article on Cobra guns Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Sorry, don't have link

wsj.com Small, Cheap Guns Are Back, and Some Question Their Safety

Zusha Elinson

7-9 minutes

More Americans than ever are carrying concealed handguns, but some of these small pistols are coming under scrutiny for accidentally shooting their owners.

Travis Barthel, a 34-year-old elementary school teacher from South Dakota, was setting down his coat with his pistol made by Cobra Enterprises of Utah Inc. in a pocket. The gun fired and hit him in the stomach. The 9mm slug severed an artery, pierced his spleen, broke his ribs, and sent him to the hospital, where it took two surgeries and 11 pints of blood to save his life, he said.

Cobra says its guns are safe if used properly; Mr. Barthel disagrees. “A gun should never fire unless the trigger is pulled,” he said. Mr. Barthel owns about 20 firearms and bought the $200 derringer for personal protection and dispatching “nuisance animals” on his rural property.

Are More Women Buying Guns? Depends on Who You Ask

For decades, reports have been saying that more women than ever are buying guns. But a researcher who's been collecting data about gun ownership for just as long is telling a different story. Photo: Clara Ritger for The Wall Street Journal

The number of Americans with concealed-carry permits soared to 17.2 million this year, almost four times the number in 2007, according to Crime Prevention Research Center, and 12 states now allow it without a permit. One of the beneficiaries has been Utah-based Cobra, whose small guns, some called derringers, are easy to conceal and among the cheapest available, selling for as little as $100.

Cobra has also been sued at least 15 times in the past decade by people who, like Mr. Barthel, allege that flaws in the guns it manufactures have caused injuries or death. Among the plaintiffs: A Texas man shot in the leg in 2017 when a duffle bag with his derringer fell; a Louisiana woman shot in the leg in 2016 when she dropped a purse that held her derringer; an Alabama man killed in 2014 when a Cobra pistol accidentally discharged.

Most of these cases were settled confidentially or are ongoing. The company hasn’t admitted any liability. A Cobra spokeswoman didn’t respond to requests for comment. Cobra’s recently-departed president Wilford Gentry didn’t return repeated calls and emails seeking comment while he was with the company. The company’s lawyers, who declined to comment, have argued in court filings that the guns are safe when used properly, blaming the injuries on misuse by the owners.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mouse guns are great for dispatching nuisance animals! I used to read the WSJ daily. The article reads like it was written by a nitwit.

I seriously question if this was published in the WSJ. A decent editor would clean up this article. Is the CEO dead or just left the company? Recently departed is rather ambigious.

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Zusha Elinson, the author, is a national reporter covering guns, cops & crime and lives in San Francisco.

He's definitely out of his element and should stick to writing about topics San Franciscans know about such as shitting on the sidewalk.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Well cobras do suck. I have plenty of mouseguns that don’t fire when dropped.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
from page 13, of the manual:

"WARNING
NEVER leave a loaded firearm unattended. BEFORE carrying or holstering your gun BE POSITIVE
that the hammer is in the HALF-COCK position and the SAFETY is ON. ALWAYS keep your gun
pointed in a safe direction."

so numbnuts left the hammer down and it fell and hit the hammer.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zusha Elinson, the author, is a national reporter covering guns, cops & crime and lives in San Francisco.

Why can't they get an accomplished guy like Harry Callahan to write these stories? What kind of name is Zusha anyway?

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 9mm mouse gun? Eek

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cobras are absolute garbage like all the other zinc guns manufacturers like Bryco, Lorcin, etc.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
Cobras are absolute garbage like all the other zinc guns manufacturers like Bryco, Lorcin, etc.

Harsh.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of Cobra. I guess I'm not shopping in the right gun stores.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I thought we were talking about really tiny snakes

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53195 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I like the Colt Cobra and the King Cobra too.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is about stupidity, not about a gun. And S&W ought to join everybody else suing Cobra. The Cobra snubbie screams patent infringement!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
He would shit a brick if he pinned an article about the safe and wonderful "Clerke 1st" revolver...it makes a Cobra look like a Korth (yes...I have one, Clerke 1st...not the Korth Frown )

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I have never heard of Cobra. I guess I'm not shopping in the right gun stores.

Classic Firearms carries them.
https://www.classicfirearms.co...nger/cobra_firearms/
They're quite cheap.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:

Harsh.

Truth, meet hurts.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15597 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of them but the Second Amendment does not cover only those citizens who are able to afford premium firearms. If these pistols are inherently unsafe, the situation will be corrected via the courts, but even those citizens with almost no budget for a firearm should be able to defend themselves.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if a Cobra would AD when dropped. They make several striker models that seem likely candidates for going bang accidentally.

Put another way, Cobra makes Jennings look like a Wilson Combat.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've never heard of them but the Second Amendment does not cover only those citizens who are able to afford premium firearms. If these pistols are inherently unsafe, the situation will be corrected via the courts, but even those citizens with almost no budget for a firearm should be able to defend themselves.

100%

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post