SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need some help... Face Masks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some help... Face Masks Login/Join 
posted
Hey all...

So, I have been coerced out of retirement and will be entering the workforce again after about 2 years of retirement.

The new employer, because they have a presence in all 50 states, is following CDC guidelines for masks. Meaning, if you are unvaccinated, you wear a mask (having to prove your vaccination status with vaccination paperwork to be exempt).

I am not vaccinated and have no intention of getting any of the current vaccines.

I need a very light, single ply, black, washable mask that appears to provide protection but allows as free a flow of air as possible while wearing. I prefer something that I can order online from a reputable source (WalMart.com, Amazon.com, etc.). I would also prefer something not made in China, but I understand if that is all that is available that meets my criteria.

Basically, I want non-mask mask. However, the mask will need to appear legit to the passing observer.

I hate that I have to play this game, but the money and benefits offered are too good to pass up (at lease for the next 5 years, which is all I have committed to).

There may have been other threads, possibly something in the existing Covid thread, but I really do not want to scroll through 7, 10 or 765 pages of that thread to find a recommendation.

Any help would be appreciated for those who have found something tolerable.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Back when we had to wear masks at work, I wound up buying several fabric masks as they kept fogging my glasses.

Ultimately, I ended up going to the paper disposable masks (they sell them in black). They fogged up my glasses less, were less obtrusive for breathing than cloth masks, and pulled on my ears less than cloth masks. I had some from Harbor Freight (~10 cents a day) and some from Home Depot (~20 cents a day).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tatortodd... Thanks.

The paper masks I have worn have been worse than the fabric masks I have worn in terms of air restriction and exhaled air shooting up, past any gap in the nose area, and into my eyes.

Also, I am not keen on throwing away masks every day, so I would prefer something that is hand or machine washable.

I was thinking of something like this sports masks from Amazon:

Sports Mask on Amazon

Because I never really wore masks, except to get a haircut, claiming to the Gestapo that I was medically unable to wear a mask, I really have little in terms of experience.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Check out the Shock Doctor Sports Mask. My youngest son wore these for much the same reasons you cite for your wants.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
The paper masks I have worn have been worse than the fabric masks I have worn in terms of air restriction and exhaled air shooting up, past any gap in the nose area, and into my eyes.
The Hazard Freight and Deep homo disposable masks seemed to seal the nose well and leak like a sonofabitch out the sides which was my goal. I couldn't feel my breath through the mask since so much was escaping out the sides.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bald1...

Thank you. And again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Tatortodd...

How did they do on the inhale... did the paper collapse in and cause greater restriction?

I have worn SCBA's, full face respirators, half face respirators, all in 90+ degree and humid weather doing superfund and haz waste work, and they were not nearly as bad as some of the paper masks I have worn because they held their shape and the mechanisms that make them work.

Let's put it this way... I want something one step up from single-ply gauze... if it exists.

The "Boz"

posted Hide Post
Nothing would work.

Simply tell them you can not wear one!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I liked the Mission brand masks I got from Home Depot.

https://www.mission.com/collec...riant=32730761396317

They have gaiters as well.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excam...

I wish I could, but they would want proof that I am vaccinated or have a documented health restriction that would preclude me from wearing a mask.

Gibb...

Thanks... I think I have figured out I want a synthetic, sports mask like what you recommended. I put one of the same Mission masks in my cart at Amazon just before reading you post. Thanks!

The "Boz"

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I have a cross country flight coming up soon, so I want whatever the bare minimum requirement is. Last time I flew around Xmas, I got first class, so I just drank the whole time and didn't have to wear a mask. I cannot stand masks and I may not get a first class upgrade this time. So I want something I can breathe through like it's a net, but counts as a mask.

Posts: 3530 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rick... That is exactly what I am looking for.

I will not have to wear this continuously unless in meetings.

That said, I will be training with the outgoing person currently in the position (he is leaving for retirement). While doing that, I will be with him for 8 hours a day, so I will have to wear continuously for the first 1-2 weeks (not sure how long he is giving them to transition me in).

The "Boz"

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The Mission neck gaiters are my favorites, when allowed. Some places don’t allow gaiters (for no fucking reason) and so I wear a cloth mask by Old Navy. I hate that store, but my ex gave me a few of their masks and they are very comfortable.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
https://tread365.com/face-masks/

I have these very good masks

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep forgetting, you have to have your vaccine in order for theirs to work correctly. Roll Eyes

I wish people would tell the people in charge of this non-sense to simply fuck off and not comply with anymore of their BS.

Hope you find something which works for you.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The 'good pay' won't do you much good dead.

I suggest you think about which kool-aid you want to drink.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Too bad you can’t convince them of the truth- vaccinated people can still get Covid, still shed and spread the virus, and still get sick. Ask why they don’t need the mask too? The answer is really about control and coercion but it’s be fun to watch them talk in circles.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15572 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://safishing.com/products...IoksBRsaAk_bEALw_wcB

This is what I wore when I had to. Very breathable and light. Don't know if this would work for you or not.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
What worked best for me are those blue surgical-style masks. They don't fit too tight around the ears, they have a wire over the nose area so you can somewhat control the seal (as good as anything else I've tried), and the more-or-less hold their shape when new. I tended to use them until they were "obviously used", but I also got all of them for free when going into places that required them and were giving them out. ("Thanks, I'll take two!")

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are reasonably comfortable. I wear a fitted N95 for aerosol generating procedures at the dental office, so am very familiar with what various "masks" can and can't do with regard to airborne virus transmission. This one is utterly useless in terms of stopping anything of consequence, but satisfies most requirements outside of healthcare delivery.

https://store.helmetfitting.com

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've tried many types of masks. I wanted to like the cloth ones hoping they would be easier to breathe out of but that wasn't my experance.

The surgical-style ones worked the best for me in terms to ease of breathing and fogging glasses. I've also noticed all surgical masks are not the same. Some are much softer than others.

Of the cloth ones, I tried the Outdoor Research one was the best. It has a filter you can put in it. Use it without the filter. It has a metal nose piece with makes fitting it for glasses and less fog better than most.

Mask

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post