SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Terrible Florida Case Illustrates the Need for Armed Self-Defense
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Terrible Florida Case Illustrates the Need for Armed Self-Defense Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Even when threats are known, law enforcement drags its feet.

It’s hard to imagine the horror in Elaine Simon’s home on Monday night, March 12. According to an ABC News report, the Palm Beach Gardens mother woke up to a “commotion,” went to the stairs to investigate, and was immediately attacked by 17-year-old Corey Johnson. He started stabbing her repeatedly. Her 13-year-old son, Dane Bancroft, intervened to protect his mother, and Johnson attacked him also.

Simon and Bancroft, suffering multiple stab wounds, were able to flee their house and dial 911. Police arrived and arrested Johnson. Simon and Bancroft are in stable condition, suffering a total of 44 stab wounds between them — twelve inflicted on Simon, 32 on Bancroft. Sadly, the mother and son were not Johnson’s only victims. Lying dead in the house, his throat slashed, was 13-year-old Jovanni Band.

It’s a terrible story, made all the more tragic by the fact that Johnson had been under federal and state investigation for 14 months. The Palm Beach Post has the details:

In January 2017, several local law-enforcement agencies and the FBI came together with the staff at William T. Dwyer High School in Palm Beach Gardens, where he was a student at the time. The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office received information that Johnson supported the terrorist organization ISIS and had reached out to the group online, expressing his desire to join them.

It gets worse:

After the meeting, the FBI told Jupiter police that a counter-intelligence agency in Europe investigated Johnson’s connection to several threats made on Instagram to McAuley Catholic High School in Doncaster, England. Though the report does not say what the threats were, authorities said they “were so severe in nature that up to 100 students were removed from the school fearing some kind of attack.” British news outlets reported that in October 2016, a threat posted on Instagram stated “we will kill every single infidel student at this school.”

The FBI monitored Johnson, spoke to him, and initially decided not to arrest him, reportedly believing that a “redirection approach” would be “most beneficial” for the teen. But he kept making ominous online posts, and in 2017 the FBI began “working” to bring charges against him. By February, the charges were ready.

The Palm Beach Post’s next two paragraphs are haunting:

On March 5, Jupiter police checked in with the FBI to see where they were with the federal charges and the agent said the affidavits would be “coming in the next several weeks.”

A week later, Johnson was in jail for the fatal stabbing in Palm Beach Gardens.

Second Amendment advocates are fond of repeating the truth that “when seconds count, the police are minutes away.” Police failures prior to the horrific school massacre in Parkland — and now the FBI delays before this terrible stabbing in Palm Beach Gardens — remind us of a different truth. Even when threats are known, law enforcement will all too often drag its feet.

Any close examination of the violent-crime problem in the United States shows us that law enforcement can’t adequately protect Americans. Police aren’t a sufficient answer “right of boom” (after an attack starts), and — crucially — law enforcement is often ineffective “left of boom,” before the attack. In fact, these left-of-boom failures are more important even than police response times in determining the necessity for armed self-defense.

To put it simply, our law-enforcement apparatus simply can’t keep dangerous people off the streets. And it can’t keep guns (and other weapons) out of their hands.

Even putting aside the sensational and unusual stories like the Parkland shooting or the Palm Beach Gardens stabbing, it’s a simple fact that violent crime, including gun crime, is carried out “by predictable people.” In the Daily Signal, John Malcolm and Amy Swearer of the Heritage Foundation compile studies showing that mass shooters typically have “extensive histories” of “mental health issues, disturbing behaviors, or interpersonal violence.”

Even criminals who commit more-“normal” crimes tend to have their own violent pasts. “Intimate partner conflict and domestic violence history are major risk factors for homicide-suicides,” and a “small number of recidivist violent offenders” are “responsible for the majority of gun violence,” Malcolm and Swearer report. Ask anyone who lives in a high-crime area, and he can tell you. The most dangerous people are well known. Their violent crimes are rarely a surprise.

Those who work with victims of domestic violence can tell similar stories. Fatal attacks don’t typically come out of the clear blue. Violence escalates. Even in the age of mass incarceration, our nation does a terrible job keeping the truly violent from walking America’s streets. The gun-homicide problem in this country is disproportionately dominated by previously violent criminals using illegally obtained guns.

I know there are those who read about the Palm Beach Gardens stabbing and immediately think, “Thank God he didn’t have a gun.” But it’s worth noting that knife attacks claim far more lives annually than the dreaded AR-15. Moreover, terrorist organizations have been urging followers to use knives, a particularly gruesome, intimate, and terrifying method of killing. I think it’s fair to say that the vast majority of Americans would prefer to bring a gun to a knife fight.

Finally, I’m not at all arguing that a gun would necessarily have made a difference that terrible night in Elaine Simon’s home. Given the sheer terror, chaos, and confusion of any violent incident, one can never definitively predict different outcomes with different facts. Even armed homeowners can be taken by surprise and overpowered. But we do know there are countless examples where guns have made a difference, and it’s the difference between life and death.

Human beings possess the right to protect themselves. Even more, they possess a duty to protect their families from harm. When the evidence is overwhelming that citizens cannot effectively delegate that duty to the police, the decision to arm yourself isn’t just defensible, it’s responsible. How much more evidence do we need that law enforcement is not our first line of defense?

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Tagging for the eventual argument asking for examples.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
FBI

There's that four letter word again.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
quote:

"In his statement, Johnson advised he stabbed the victims because of his Muslim faith," Brashear wrote in the affidavit.

Johnson told police that Jovanni was idolizing famous people and referencing them as gods, which went against his Muslim faith, the affidavit said. Johnson also felt Dane "made fun of" his Muslim faith, the affidavit said.

Just before the attack, Johnson was reading the Quran from his phone "to give him courage to carry out his intentions," the affidavit said.

Detectives interviewed Kyle, who said that although he doesn't believe in the Muslim faith, the two would often watch videos on the internet about "Muslim Jihadists."

"The videos are extreme and encourage death to non-believers," the affidavit said.

https://www.local10.com/news/c...-of-his-muslim-faith

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The Islamic imperative will be willfully ignored.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another epic fail.

Posts: 12685 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Does not meet the narrative! I've been following locally. Nobody even takes a glance at this evilness!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post