SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Task Force Red Dragon: Departing today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Task Force Red Dragon: Departing today Login/Join 
Picture of Speedbird
posted
1,000 Soldier: “Task Force Red Dragon”

SP: time now

Departing for Ft Bliss then Horn of Africa today.
Proud to be serving with these men and grateful for the all the support back home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAdBFkWQaCk

^ departure ceremony from the 29th Infantry division memorial

https://www.wsls.com/news/loca...rica/?outputType=amp

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're headed to a troubled part of the world.

I was in Djibouti recently, and will be a part of this.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the mission in Africa?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I’m in El Paso. Send me an e-mail.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

The news link indicated counter-terrorism actions, but otherwise somewhat vague (understandable).

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Djibouti

Never not an amusing name.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been there. Total shithole.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://time.com/6102688/war-o...r-after-afghanistan/

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Given that they're a NG-unit sounds like its apart of their regularly scheduled rotation as they'll be doing security Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti. Most of these deployments they're working with the local mil/LE in training, infrastructure support and some joint-training culminating in a TFX along with their principal mission of base security.

That part of the world is descending into chaos, if you've not been paying attention to int'l news, Ethopia is on the verge of a country-wide civil war. The northern part of the country has been plagued by a Marxist insurgency who has grievances against the tribe that the current president belongs to. State Dept has instructed all non-essential personal to get-out and most Western countries have followed suit.
https://travel.state.gov/conte...travel-advisory.html

DoD long ago ID'd East Africa as a long-simmering region that could explode into wider, more open conflict; we already know about the issues with Somalia, nearby Yemen is another issue, now Ethopia is threatening to go bad. There's a handful of units who's AOR is this region as Ethiopia has one of a handful of countries that will likely not-exist in the next 20-years, which means open-conflict, societal breakdowns and refugees spreading around the world.

Flurry Of Air Force Transports Head To East Africa As Potential For Ethiopia Evacuation Grows

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Those NG guys will be all trained up for their tours back in the US if shit keeps up….

Good luck fellas and be safe

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like our transports will be bringing the problem(s) back here to the US. Roll Eyes

Hopefully our boys come home safe.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That part of the world has been nothing but a festering boil on the ass of the universe for a long time.

I can personally attest to that in the late 80's - early 90's.

Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan, Djibouti, Eteria, northern part of Kenya... All sucked.

Nuke it, pave it over, turn it into a parking lot.

I wish those troops well.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
That part of the world has been nothing but a festering boil on the ass of the universe for a long time.

I can personally attest to that in the late 80's - early 90's.

Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan, Djibouti, Eteria, northern part of Kenya... All sucked.

That entire region would be better-off splitting itself into its ethnic/religious boundaries.

South Sudan already did so, getting away from the angry Muslims up North. Eritrea broke-off from Ethiopia, looks like there's a some more fracturing that needs to happen.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great! Another adventure in a shithole not worth a single American dollar or American life. Any other countries going into Africa? Or is the US alone in whatever is going on?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Great! Another adventure in a shithole not worth a single American dollar or American life. Any other countries going into Africa? Or is the US alone in whatever is going on?

Yes, a number of other countries are very active in Africa, at the moment, on multiple fronts.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

France is the lead country for a number of operations, principally in their former colonies.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pick one and wait it will happen;
- anti-terror / D.A. missions
- FID/UW missions
- Humanitarian - (off point..Saw that Tulsi was there as a CA Officer, odd thing was she was wearing SF patch, didn't think you could wear the patch unless you were in the unit....if you are attached to them you would still wear your own unit patch.....bu\t it's been awhile since I dug through AR670-1)
- Stopping China from colonizing the continent ...might be a bit too late on this one
- QRF for other "hotspots" or places where are not technically there but ARE there.
- throwing cash around like a E-2 walking up Hooker Hill on a Friday night.
- Shipping "cultural enrichers" back to the US

Africa is blessed with it's beauty and cursed by the humans would live there and who visit it.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbird:
1,000 Soldier: “Task Force Red Dragon”

SP: time now

Departing for Ft Bliss then Horn of Africa today.
Proud to be serving with these men and grateful for the all the support back home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAdBFkWQaCk

^ departure ceremony from the 29th Infantry division memorial

https://www.wsls.com/news/loca...rica/?outputType=amp

One of my sons is in the VNG and deployed with this Task Force.

The ceremony was at the National D Day Memorial in Bedford, VA. If you are ever in the area it is well worth a visit.

While they were told they would be at Bliss at least some of the guys are at another base nearby according to my son who is one of them.

There are going to be several different missions including base security for several bases, perimeter security for SF missions and the like.

While many of the troops will be stationed at Camp Lemonier many others will be scattered about the region including Kenya, Somalia and Yemen.

What I don’t understand is that this is the largest deployment of VNG troops since WW2 according to one of the speakers on Saturday. Why are we sending some many soldiers there during “peace time”??

Fortunately, many of the platoon leadership and up are combat veterans so there will be some experienced assets on the ground should things go sideways.

God Bless them all.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post