SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations For Indian Dishes For Wife Who Dislikes Curry?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations For Indian Dishes For Wife Who Dislikes Curry? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
An Indian restaurant with good reviews has opened near us and I'm trying to get my wife to go to it with me, but the problem is she really dislikes any sort of Indian curry flavors. I absolutely love Indian food and since she won't eat it, it's all I eat when I'm on travel for work pretty much.

I figured we could go if I know there were some dishes that she'd like that aren't curry. Two that come to mind are chicken or paneer Tikka Masala and Dal, are there any others that I could get her to try? It's not that she doesn't like any spices, just the yellow curry types. I make jerk chicken with Walkerswood jerk seasoning and she loves that.

Any pointers?

Posts: 33890 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Saag dishes are good, usually creamed with spinach.

Posts: 11365 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Do they offer a buffet?

That's what I usually do for Indian. I don't go for their curry either, if I want curry I do Thai.

There's tandoori chicken, butter chicken, naan bread.

The other food, I don't know them by name, I just take some.

And don't forget the yogurt drink! They come in different flavors like mango.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19719 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a McDonald's across the street ?

Seriously though: one can almost make a meal out of Mango Lassi and Naan.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Lamb saag!

Posts: 2337 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
You can ask if they have a 'Thali' plate. It comes with a variety of small portions. Many will not be curry based. It'll give your wife a good selection of choices and you'll finish off the ones she doesn't care for with a smile Smile

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I eat quite a bit of Indian food, but to be honest I don't know what quite a few of the dishes are called so I can't make any suggestions beyond the ones you already listed. Like Crom said though, you can pretty much make a meal of Naan. Most of the Indian restaurants around here have a buffet for lunch. Would it be possible for you to find one like that around you and take her there? Then you could make her a plate with a lot of non curry options, and she wouldn't be invested in eating a whole meal she doesn't like.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Most everyone likes Chicken Tikka Masala. I usually get boneless.

Chicken Tikka Masala

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make it a point to avoid the buffet's as I got sick at one over 20years ago, just asking for it. I will order off the menu though.

Chicken Tikka Masala is about the most straight forward Indian dish ...and it's not even Indian. Created by Indian cooks somewhere in the UK, much like chow mein, fried rice, egg rolls and broccoli beef are American inventions of Chinese Cantonese cuisine.

Posts: 14694 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
I love it all and get it as hot as they eat it themselves (when they ask...). My kids and some of the extended family hate the good stuff..... BUT THEY LOVE tandoori chicken from the American friendly joints....

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2113 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
We eat Indian food quite a bit in restaurants and at home. Tandoori chicken is a good option for most people. The restaurant may even have tandoori shrimp or tandoori mixed grill. Biryani, a rice/meat dish similar to pilaf is another option. If they have it, shrimp jalfrezi may be a good choice. It's similar to an East Asian stir-fry dish with shrimp, bell peppers, red peppers, garlic, ginger, onions, etc. Another favorite of ours is baingan bharta, an eggplant dish that resembles babaganoush (spelling?). Naan, roti and chapati breads often come with different flavor options. Garlic naan is one of my favorites.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Order just "chicken tikka." "Masala" means "spice." So, depending on the restaurant, she could get something that she doesn't like. Chicken tikka is just chunks of tandoori oven cooked chicken, usually served with lemon wedges to squeeze over the chicken and a dipping sauce in a separate little dish.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I like dosas. And idlly with chutney and sambar (is that curry flavored?).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Butter chicken.

Posts: 5157 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Most everyone likes Chicken Tikka Masala. I usually get boneless.

Chicken Tikka Masala

This.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I enjoy a frozen Indian entree, Palak Paneer, that I get at Trader Joe’s. Spinach and paneer cheese cubes. Not spicy. At least it isn’t before I add my stuff to it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Butter chicken.

+1. I HATE strong curry tastes. My daughter nagged me into going to the local Indian place, and now I'm hooked.

Heck, even the Kroger brand of bottled Butter Chicken is great for a quick and cheap meal. Cook as directed, add long rice and some naan bread, and you're set!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This thread is giving me a craving for some good Indian food! Vindaloo, biryani, daal, naan, tandoori chicken....mmmmm

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'd offer suggestions, but I got naan.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I love Indian food, and I love the Indian women that cook it! I hope that does not make me a chauvinistic pig, but I can't help my self around pretty Indian women!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post