SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Civil Rights: The GOP and The Dems Switched Sides At some Point?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Civil Rights: The GOP and The Dems Switched Sides At some Point? Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
Every time it is brought up that the Democrats were the party of slavery and Jim Crow, I hear that the pro-slavery, anti-civil rights Democrats magically transformed into today's Republican Party, while the freedom-loving patriots of yesteryear's Republican Party now call the Democratic Party home.

Can anyone point me to a trusted discussion of this supposed phenomenon? I'd like to read more about it and learn some facts.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's an absolute falsehood pushed by the Democrats to try to escape two VERY uncomfortable truths about their party:

1. The Democrats founded and owned the KKK
2. The Democrats vehemently opposed the Civil Rights Act while the GOP was on board with it

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Civil Rights: The GOP and The Dems Switched Sides At some Point?

That's a falsehood....
Here's another Prager video:

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24111 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That's actually just a political narrative that was initially based on Ronald Reagan's success in attracting conservatives in the South and East (the famous "Reagan Democrats"). The Republicans never lost sight of protecting the smallest minority - the individual - while Democrats never lost their taste for exploiting a collectivist mentality. All that happened is that the Democrats expanded the application of ward politics from the big cities in the Northeast. That meant that they were willing to make a show of pandering to minorities in ways that changed nothing fundamental while the anti-identity politics Republicans kept pushing for fundamental changes that would empower any individual.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Southern states Democrats drew up and supported the "Jim Crow" laws banning black people from public eating/drinking areas.

Southern states Democrats pulled their reelection support of POTUS Harry Truman in 1948 when he desegregated the Military.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
D’Souza: The Big Switch, Part 1

From pages 15 – 18 of Hillary’s America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party

https://theindependentwhig.com...e-big-switch-part-1/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24111 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

-rduckwor

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The Old Switcheroo Lie that Democrats use is bullshit, plain and simple. The Democrats used blacks during slavery , and they use them now. They created a system of total dependency during slavery, and a system of dependency now, trading one plantation paradigm for another. And so the commies think that the parties just switched sides by agreement or what? Roll Eyes

And the perception of blacks between Democrats and Republicans differ greatly; conservatives treat blacks as equals, we don't think they need "special treatment", we all should start from the same starting line, while leftists think blacks are ignorant and helpless needing assistance and guidance.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Even this kid knows it's BS. The whole video is worth watching, but skip to 1:50 if you don't have time.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/AJtx9Z0vC14

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Got my late night viewing material all set now.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was Lyndon Baines Johnson (Democrat) that said "I'll have those Nig%&ers voting Democrat for the next 200 years."

Why did he say that? He was getting ready to sign the largest welfare act in global history, called the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Why would he say that? He knew that as a Democrat (and former KKK member) he had used the Black community, but Liberals needed MORE votes to stay in power. How do you get those votes? You GIVE away money.

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was Lyndon Baines Johnson (Democrat) that said "I'll have those Nig%&ers voting Democrat for the next 200 years."
Why did he say that? He was getting ready to sign the largest welfare act in global history, called the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Actually... it was the same year, but a different bill...
Economic Opportunity Act of 1964

Secretary of Labor Wirtz stated, "It has become clear that America is not going to put up with poverty amidst prosperity. We realize that by itself prosperity is not going to get rid of poverty."[5] He emphasized that the War on Poverty had two central objectives:

First, to provide jobs and training, especially for those young people now growing up in poverty, and increasingly condemned by lack of economic opportunity to repeat the cycle over again.

Second, to begin the process of planning and organizing that will bring the entire resources of a community to bear on the specific problem of breaking up the cycle of poverty in that community.[6]

The War on Poverty attacked the roots and consequences of poverty by creating job opportunities, increasing productivity, and enhancing the quality of life. The aim was not to end poverty but to eradicate the principal causes of it.

Roll Eyes

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
I was not there, but numerous sources have opined that it was said on Air Force One in 1964:

"an Air Force One steward who said LBJ uttered this comment to two governors during a conversation on the Civil Rights Act of 1964."

Sources: https://www.huffingtonpost.com...ys-two_b_933995.html

https://amgreatness.com/2018/0...mocratic-plantation/

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Fake News!

They will always bring up that the Republicans agreed to consider blacks as 3/5 of a person.

What usually gets left out is the Democrats considered blacks 0/5 of a person.

Hence, the compromise.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 3/5ths compromise was promoted by abolitionists of the North, ironically, because they were trying to LIMIT the South's representation in Congress. If every Black were considered as a "whole person", that would justify greater numbers of Representatives in the House of Representatives. But those Reps would undoubtedly be White, slavery-promoting Democrats.
Hence, the North opposed counting slaves, who would be uneducated and not-allowed to vote, to be counted as part of the "population" for Representation purposes.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Nope. The dems just found a way to entice the decedents of slaves to enslave themselves to, and be exploited by, the democrat party. This captivity is more subtle so the new slaves are less likely to free themselves. The shackles of this slavery are the lie that the conservatives who would free them are responsible for their captivity. There is no spoon.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post