SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about ROTC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about ROTC Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
My daughter, a sophomore in college, signed up for an ROTC class and really likes it (she got to fire the cannon at tonight's football game Smile )

I always thought ROTC was for regular Army, but in the picture she sent me, she's wearing an ROTC shirt for the Utah National Guard.

As a dad, please help me understand what ROTC is, and what commitments she would have to make etc, and where it could lead for her?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Reserve Officers Training Corps.

They have organizations for all the US Armed Forces - Army, Navy, Air Force, etc (people interested in Marines would do Navy ROTC).

They offer scholarships for college as well as the potential for an Officer Commission in the Armed Forces upon graduation.

There is no real commitment unless she gets a scholarship, as that comes with an obligation to serve for a period of time (depends on the service, etc).

https://www.afrotc.com/

https://www.army.mil/rotc

http://www.nrotc.navy.mil/

Simply taking one class has no obligation but is a way for people to learn more about the military and potentially sign for a scholarship / summer training, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ This.

ROTC is one of the pipelines the military has for prospective officers. Army is the most common found at universities, then Navy and Air Force; schools with larger student bodies may have both Army & Navy units. The instructors are both active, reserve and retired officers of those services and are apart of the faculty of instructors to the university teaching military science/naval science. Undergraduate students who are not apart of the program can take classes offered through the program without any kind of obligation to the military; usually fulfilling an elective requirement.

Students who do enroll in the program, seeking a commission in the military, are committed to a course load that would be similar to a minor; usually that decision is by their sophomore year when majors are decided upon. Various scholarships are available depending upon qualifications met. Certain majors are preferred and encouraged over others, see STEM and traditional humanities over liberal arts and social-sciences. Summer break is utilized as a internship-type training period exposing the student (cadet/midshipman) to various aspects of military life and/or getting qualified in various skills: summer cruise, airborne school, small boat handling, air assault school, etc.

Upon graduation, the student can serve either as active or, reserve officer. Obligation is based upon if a scholarship was awarded and the needs of the service.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She could get commissioned and go active duty or into the Nat. Guard or Reserves. I wouldn't know about being in ROTC and not getting a commission since that was my only reason for it.

Ask her what she's thinking, the military has a lot to offer, I've got no regrets 20+ years later.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I'm interested as well.

My oldest son is interested in going into the Military. At first, he was leaning towards the USMC, but I explained to him that every branch might have options the USMC doesn't. So he's researching. I basically told him to think about what he plans on doing in the future, outside of the military, and pick a branch that has the best options for him. And I'm a Jarhead.

He's a sophomore in high school, and his high school is not what I would call "military supportive". They don't allow recruiters into the high school, nor does it have an ROTC program. Several parents who had kids graduating had to fight with the school board to get their kids recognized that they were going into the military following high school. I researched this, and his high school is not the only one. A lot of high schools don't like to encourage military after high school, because it skews their numbers for their kids who graduated and entered college.

We are researching PLC (Platoon Leaders Course) as well as Reserves. I know several people who have gone the "Mustang" route, went in enlisted, got a degree, and came out as an officer. One was a Navy Nuke instructor, another is currently flying F35's in the USMC.

Reserves is a safe bet, he would still get the GI bill, but MOS options can be limited due to the length of the school. The USMC revamped their standards that one can now become an officer, while in the Reserves. A lot of options, so know what you have available before you sign anything.

We still have time, but it will go by fast.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son and I have spent a bunch of time looking at the various options for the military as well. He just started his senior year in high school and built up over 20 hours of college credit at this point (30 by the time he graduates high school).

We looked at ROTC, reserve enlisted, and active duty. After weighing the various options and talking with everyone we could, my son decided on active Army 35M. He did great on his ASVAB and DLAB and locked down his slot. He will do basic next summer at Ft. Sill then off to Ft. Huachuca for AIT. When he gets through AIT, his 35M training will get him 30 college credits at my university. He will have enough credits to get his AA degree. He can then pick up college credit for his language training and start taking college courses so he has enough to earn his bachelors degree prior to/at the time his active duty time is over.

He will then have the option of staying in as enlisted, getting his commission, or pursuing options outside of the military. Military experience, his bachelor degree, and his top secret clearance will serve him well in whichever path he selects.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I went through the Army ROTC at the University of Washington back in the early 80s. Things may be different now...

I went through the SMP program (Simultaneous Membership Program), I was in Reserve unit while going through ROTC. I did regular basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood Missouri the summer before my Junior year. Then did two years of ROTC, during the summer between my junior and senior year, I attended the ROTC Advanced Summer Camp at Ft. Lewis WA. I did not seek a ROTC scholarship.

I got a 4 year degree in Poly Sci and received my commission in the U.S. Army Reserves. I was branched Armor. I chose to go active, and spent 3 years at Ft. Knox KY, then had 5 years of inactive reserve status.

I left the Army and went into Law Enforcement after my 3 years at Ft. Knox.

I would tell anyone thinking about it - do it! Great life experience, allowed me to get married right after college, knowing that I had a career, housing, benefits, covered.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:

I would tell anyone thinking about it - do it!

I agree.

Went 4-years Army ROTC in College - straight onto active duty upon graduation. Stayed active duty for 7 years then left service.

It's been a few years - but basically - unless you have a scholarship - Fresh / Soph years you can participate 'no risk / no obligation'. Try it out - see if you like it. You will learn a lot about the military, proper uniform wear, basic skills like first aid, leadership, drill & ceremonies etc. We did a lot of good FTXs, rifle marksmanship, rappelling, land nav, etc. My campus had an excellent cadre of Army personnel - several seasoned Vietnam vets.

The Junior and Senior years are a lot more serious. You are preparing for commissioning at that point and must 'Contract' prior to the beginning of JR year. At that point - basically - you are in the Army with a reservists ID card. You are eligible to go to select Army schools like Ranger, Airborne, Air Assault, etc. in the Summertime. As a JR / SR we did organized PT every M/W/F at 0630.

Then there are the Scholarship cadets - could be 4 yr, 3 yr, etc. They are 'Contracted' with the Army from Day One. When you 'Contract' you are essentially joining the Army - obligation stipulated, etc.

It might sound complicated but really it's pretty straightforward. I had a 'regular college' experience and got a commission at the same time. Win - win. I highly encourage her to explore the options. I participated all 4 years and had a 3-yr scholarship which paid quite a bit of the bill.

Lastly - in the end - prior to Commissioning - you will be 'Branched' into a specialty. Armor, Aviation, Signal, Med Service, etc. That process is kinda nerve-wracking because it will be your long-term career field. You get a choice - but the final decision is determined by 4 things:

GPA
Class Rank (Order of Merit within your ROTC class)
Score at Leadership Summer training (was called Advanced Camp way back when)
current manpower / Needs of the Army

Another component of her commissioning packet would be her request for either Active Duty service or Reserve status. You can ask for either - some want to go directly into the reserves - some want to go active duty for a 'full time' job. That is competitive as well.

One of the best decisions I ever made. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My son did ROTC at Penn State. He enrolled at the beginning of his Freshman year. At the end of the first semester he received a full ride scholarship via ROTC. He is now a Lieutenant Colonel, on Active duty, and about to take command of a multi-national unit. He is punching his tickets and should be a Colonel fairly soon.

Some of the best officers I served with during 21 years were ROTC graduates.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I believe if you are selected to go active, your commitment to active duty is for 4 years and then 4 years reserve. I believe the 4 years can be Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR). That's compared to 5/3 for Academy Graduates and 3/5 for OCS graduates.

USMA typically gets first choice in branch slots, then ROTC while OCS gets the leftovers.

IMO, ROTC is the most balanced commissioning source based off the people I've worked with.

The military can be a wonderful opportunity for some folks if taken fully advantage of. Just benefits wise, the military was good to me:

-paid off undergraduate loan via student loan repayment
-is paying for MBA now with post 9/11 GI Bill (will end up costing around $75k by the time I graduate in June)
-LASIK for both eyes at zero cost to me
-paid 100% for the birth of my daughter and spending 1+ month in a NICU

I estimate that with 8 years of active duty under my belt and currently 2 in the reserves, I have likely drawn over $1 million in salary and benefits.

And that doesn't even count the leadership skills I have learned and the amazing friends I have made.

It comes with a great sacrifice but I'd do it again without a doubt.

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From 1968 to 1972 I went to Cameron University, Lawton, Oklahoma. At that time, Cameron had a mandatory 2 year ROTC requirement for all male students.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of good stuff has already been written. This doesn't sound like it applies to the OP's situation, but I feel it needs to be said. Being prior-enlisted may work in the Army, and the Navy loves their Mustangs. The AF does not, based on what I have seen. I think the advice you've gotten from others is solid. It's just not universal in this instance.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
From 1968 to 1972 I went to Cameron University, Lawton, Oklahoma. At that time, Cameron had a mandatory 2 year ROTC requirement for all male students.

How was Lawton during that time period?

I lived there in 2009-2010 and 2012-2013. After going back there after being gone for only 2 years saw a lot of change. I can't imagine how different it would be if you were compare it now to when you were there.

posted Hide Post
I was in Lawton OK (Ft. Sill) fall 1991 to spring 1992 for field artillery officer basic course (OBC).

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
I was in Lawton OK (Ft. Sill) fall 1991 to spring 1992 for field artillery officer basic course (OBC).

Small world. To this day, I still hate Snow Hall. They have done an incredible renovation on it though, I think it was done around 2010-2011. Now the latrines aren't scary to use anymore...

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your input. It definitely sounds like a good opportunity for her.

By the way, she called us at 7:00 am this morning and told us she's doing the 'Ranger Challenge' in PT - 5:00 - 7:00 AM every day. Oh to be young again!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post