SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drones - does anyone have one that does something other than camera work?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drones - does anyone have one that does something other than camera work? Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted
Greetings all. I am interested in drones and do enjoy the aerial view they’re able to provide. I don’t have one for no particular reason. I do know, though, before I invest some money on one I want it to have “capabilities.” By that I mean “it can do something.” In my case, I anticipate having one while surf fishing, and I’d like to have one to allow me to view a fishing area well beyond my casting distance, and be able to drop my line on command at that point.

I’ve seen drones work in this capability, as well as other capabilities, but I don’t know how they do it. Any ideas or suggestions?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
DJI drones have modes you can choose From, but not one for dropping a line. Hiwever, I have seen it done in DJI forums in phantompilots.com. I’m sure others have done it at mavicpilots.com also.

Just go to DJI’s site and look at the different flight modes each of their drones have featured. I used to use one for distance flying where you touch a location on you screen and the drone flies there automatically. On some, they have a mode where they follow a liked on object. There are a few others where you set a radius and it will orbit around a center point.

Personally, I use LItchi as my flight controller, and I use that to preprogram flights on a map. I set waypoints with all of their parameters and then send the drone off on a robotic tour. The distance is only limited by your battery. There are many videos of these types of flights. Most notably, a guy named dirtybird or something similar on YouTube has great videos where his robotic flights through cities. Sometimes he would send off more than one where they would blindly ‘chase’ each other.

Of course, line of sight is the rule so be safe.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I would like to use one to remove and replace paper targets at 400 yards.

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Now that they're delivering stuff by drones, have folks got stuff stolen from their backyard by drones?

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I don't need one or own one but by God I want one of these!

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07rtBip9ixk

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I would like to use one to remove and replace paper targets at 400 yards.

I want something similar. My question is not about the distance, rather the mechanism used to, in my case, drop a line. In tatortodd’s, the flame thrower. Are external devices made for these attributes?

And I remember a Connecticut or Massachusetts teen having one that would/could fire a pistol.

Who makes these mechanisms; are they add-one?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I've got a Mavic Mini and I have not seen anything like that for my drone.

Here is a kit you can add to a DJI Mavic Air 2.

Here is a kit for a Mavic 2 Pro.

Note that drones do fine flying over the water, but if you get too close to the surface the reflection can and does mess with the sensors and you may end up in the drink.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I remember a Connecticut or Massachusetts teen having one that would/could fire a pistol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If my memory serves me correctly, the kid did it himself. Being Mass. I do not think he got first prize in the Science Fair.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have drones that do all kinds of stuff ,
I posted tons of stuff over the last three years ,
Search for:
Finally a reason for drones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju2GdPaA14k

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54659 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If my memory serves me correctly, the kid did it himself. Being Mass. I do not think he got first prize in the Science Fair.

It was Connecticut, the kid actually lives up the street from me and is a well known shit bag, learned it from his father. The kid has been in trouble with the law quite a few times prior to his pistol toting drone incident.

Posts: 3120 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
My youngest brother has one that he uses to drop bait for surf fishing. I have no idea which one it is but he has mentioned in the past it’s an older one. He says most of the newer ones are too small to carry what they’re trying to drop.

I’ll try to ask him at some point over the weekend or early next week which one it is. I’d ask him now but he’s at his hunting lease and doesn’t get a cell signal there. Even if you can’t find the exact one he has it might give a basis for comparison so you know what to look for.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want one that will go and get a pizza and bring it back.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer one that could talk me out of the pizza. Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ex neighbor's brother started a company doing off-shore map work using drones. Not sure of the exact nature of the work. I assumed it involved GPS.

Posts: 56 | Registered: January 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post