SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Radishes are tasty!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Radishes are tasty! Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Somehow, radishes had fallen off my radar until I happened to notice some at my grocery. Dang, they’re good! I won’t forget ‘em again. I sprinkle some seasoning salt on a saucer, then dip the radishes in it.

Their leaves are tasty too. Arugula (rocket lettuce) is a bit spicy, but radish leaves are spicier.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I like radishes. And of course daikon.

I can eat them plain. Or I pickle them in either a brine (salty sweet) or vinegar (salt, sugar and maybe some peppers).

I will usually brine them in ice water before consuming or grating. Grating and a bit of soy sauce and yuzu (or lemon) juice goes well with grilled fish.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Grow them yourself.

I'm in the LA area and they are the easiest thing to grow in this climate. They are ready to be picked in as little as 30 days. They sprout in 4-5 days, thin to single plants at 3". Water.

English Breakfast are cylindrical and can be grown in as little as 6" of soil. Pretty mild and the spice comes on early and tapers off.

Sparklers are little round things the size of a quarter and also grown in 6" of soil. Mild when first bit into and then you ask, "Where's the sparkler?" and then it hits you at the end.

Seeds at HD. Edible by Christmas...

Much better than the store.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I love them. I make a quick pickled radish in the fridge from a recipe I got online. Here it is for those interested. Delicious.

1 bunch radishes
¾ cup white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
¾ cup water
3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (this yields very spicy pickles, so use ½ teaspoon for medium spicy pickles or none at all)
½ teaspoon whole mustard seeds (optional)
Optional add-ins: garlic cloves, black peppercorns, fennel seeds, coriander seeds

INSTRUCTIONS
To prepare the radishes: Slice off the tops and bottoms of the radishes, then use a sharp chef’s knife or mandoline to slice the radishes into very thin rounds. Pack the rounds into a pint-sized canning jar. Top the rounds with red pepper flakes and mustard seeds.
To prepare the brine: In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, honey or maple syrup and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, then pour the mixture over the radishes.
Let the mixture cool to room temperature. You can serve the pickles immediately or cover and refrigerate for later consumption. The pickles will keep well in the refrigerator for several weeks, although they are in their most fresh and crisp state for about 5 days after pickling.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My wife puts radish slices on top of her potato and tuna salads. Ramps up the presentation and flavor profile. Delicious!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I love radishes. I recently discovered “Sparky” our Standard Poodle loves them as well. He really enjoys chewing them up!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Beats the hell outta those little carrots.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I prefer them in a bread and butter sandwich.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Have loved radishes all my life. My parents were farm kids, and even in the city they grew a garden, which always included radishes.

When I go to a place that has a salad bar, I always put some sliced radishes on my salad if they are available.

I remember when I was in USAF in the 1970s, my team went someplace that had a cafeteria and radishes were available. One of my team members (who'd been raised in NYC) looked at them and asked me what they were. I told him and he then asked what do they taste like. I said they were like a spicy turnip.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Slice 'em, season 'em, and roast 'em. Excellent!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Good sense being shown by Sigforum members. Not so much in how they eat them, but to each his own. My wife slices them for me every evening. I know I'm lazy or have a good wife, or both. Thin slices with lots of salt. No, I don't have high blood pressure. Never wanted it either.

If you see them, try black radishes. Got them at Bigg's. They're pretty hot, which means more salt to keep your mouth from catching fire.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Who can enjoy roast beef without a little horseradish?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Beats the hell outta those little carrots.
I don't like those little carrots. The big-assed Bugs Bunny ones are much better. Radishes are good too.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I grew up with a grandfather with a huge garden. I always loved the radishes from his garden.

In 2015, I finally gave a gardening a try for myself. Radishes are one of the things I grew. That was in Can-eh-duh.

Here in Houston, they grow great late October to early May.

One of the things I learned a few years ago was like most root vegetables they're delicious in a crockpot with a roast.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Another radish lover here. I usually don’t slice them, but eat them with salt whole. Like eating a small apple. Have grown them and they turn out great, or have grown them and they get worms. At work we had a cafeteria, I’d get a styrofoam bowl and load it up overflowing with radishes. I guess I made them go thru too many because all of a sudden they were sliced. Not the same. They were usually dried out. Damn I love some radishes.
My grandma grew the cylinder shaped ones sometimes too. Some were hot. I like the cherry ones that grow between a qtr and a half dollar.
The other day at the grocery they were $1.69 for a small bunch. About 8. I passed.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I always thought radishes had the taste and consistency of dirt. Ugh!

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I loved radishes but in my old age, my stomach doesn't. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I prefer them in a bread and butter sandwich.

Thank for that tip. A simple idea, but I would never have thought of it. I’m certainly going to try it.

Do you put any condiments on the sandwich? I’m thinking that seasoning salt would be good.

I did try it – its taste was much different than I expected, but very good, indeed. I was nearly out of radishes – the remaining ones weren’t as big as I’d liked to have used.

That German-baked Mestemacher Pumpernickel is the only bread that I keep on hand. I love it despite its schmaltzy package. You’ll note that I put plenty of butter on both slices. Smile I put a good deal of seasoning salt on too – that was a good idea, I think.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
i like them fresh with salt...

lately enjoying them baked. coat in olive oil then salt and pepper - bake on a foil covered cookie sheet at 425 for about 10 min...give or take.
unique flavor when baked. tried this recipe this past week looking for a potato substitute at dinner. they are now in the rotation.

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I never cared much for the regular round radishes, but I honestly haven't tried any in years. I might have to pick some up next time I see some that look fresh. I do like daikon a lot though, but I've always considered it more of a turnip.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post