SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about investing in crypto currency
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about investing in crypto currency Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
Is it a good idea to do so, or is it a scam?

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Caveat Emptor -- the established ones like Bitcoin and Ethereum are at their all-time highs, and many of the rest are outright scams. Dogecoin started as a joke, has no intrinsic value, got pushed up 700% by Reddit in two days and then fell back by half.

Do not "invest" more than you plan to lose.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 172 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What CharlieSW just said.

On a side note - I remember years back when Pizza Hut was giving away shares of bit coin with a certain $ of order. Probably a value of $3 vs. $30,000 - $40,000 today. Eek

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Lots of potential money to be made but IMO it is pure gambling. Have a couple friends that have made 40-50K over the past year on 10K investments. I know another guy that lost money over last year.

My thoughts are it is going to go one way or another.

Either crypto is here to stay and is accepted by all governments or worse, becomes the defacto world standard instead of the dollar. I think the one world order group wants this. In this case I do not believe it is likely the bottom will fall out of crypto.

The other case is world governments end up viewing crypto as a threat to their power and with the swipe of a pen eliminate the ability to use crypto. In this case the value of crypto could quickly go to near zero.

Having said all that, I am far from knowledgeable on the subject......but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night Smile

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a Ponzi scheme based on nothing of value. It is only worth what people are willing to pay, not based on any intrinsic value, but simply based on which direction they think the value will go in the future.

The fact that it is "crypto" and you can "mine" them on the internet has confused people into believing there is any basis to it.

I won't touch it.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Crypto is much riskier and much more volatile that stocks or other traditional investments.

So as cruiser68 pointed out, it's even more like pure gambling versus investing.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Imagine if you bought Bitcoin , hundreds or thousands of them , back when it was practically worthless. A $500 gamble back then would be worth hundreds of millions of dollars today . Seems like a no brainer to me.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Imagine if you bought Bitcoin , hundreds or thousands of them , beck when it was practically worthless. A $500 gamble back then would be worth hundreds of millions of dollars today . Seems like a no brainer to me.

But without a crystal ball, or a time machine, there's no way to know. So without foresight or time travel, it's far from a "no-brainer".

If you throw $500 each at 10 different cryptos "just in case", and they all tank, you're out up to $5000. There are hundreds of cryptocurrencies out there, only a few of which have made big gains like Bitcoin, and most of which are down, and only worth pennies or fractions of a penny.

Even with the bigger cryptos like Bitcoin going so high, there's still the risk of their bubble bursting and the value tanking. Especially because it's backed by really nothing. There was such a crash just a few years ago for Bitcoin. So the risk is still there, even on the more established ones. Just because it's done well over the past X years doesn't mean it will continue to do well over the next X years. And just because another crypto is cheap today doesn't mean it'll be worth more in the future, or won't be worthless in the future.

Personally, if I were in that situation, I'd be much more comfortable sticking that $5000 in something more conservative, like a prominent ETF, that is more likely to gain you a modest return and much less likely to cost you everything.

It's all about your risk tolerance, and how much you can afford to lose on a gamble. As mentioned, Crypto is fairly high in the risk category.

Similarly, some folks have no qualms against tossing $500 or $5000 on a roll at the craps table or a pull at a slot machine, because it *might* get them a win and a nice return. But just because it could do that, doesn't make such a wager a "no-brainer" for everyone.

All that doesn't mean crypto's not worth the gamble for some people, especially if they already have an otherwise solid investment portfolio, and have the excess cash to afford to make riskier moves "just in case". (Just like being able to afford to go on a gambling bender in Vegas for shits and giggles, without compromising their finances.) But unless you've got more money than you know what do with, most folks would want crypto to be just a small part of their investing, to help lessen their risk.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine if you bought......

It's easy to look back 10-15 years and pick a winner at anything. For every bitcoin how many losers were there in the last 15 yeas?

If you have concerns over Fiat Currency how can you like bitcoin? Good or bad at least a fiat currency has a government behind it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
To summarize what others are saying:

You invest in things that you have some understanding of. Things that have a history and some predictability. You can still lose, but it's informed by facts and research.

You speculate in things like crypto because it is entirely unpredictable - there is no history or fundamentals to predict how a crypto currency will be accepted or adopted. Now, if you run a Reddit forum where millions of people will immediately put their money where you tell them, you have a much better chance of making money with your speculation Smile

So, maybe not a scam but it's like taking your money to the roulette table - maybe you will hit it big, but you are likely to lose it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A local Supermarket has a vending machine that sells Bitcoins, that should tell you something.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
A local Supermarket has a vending machine that sells Bitcoins, that should tell you something.

Do the Bitcoins come out in the multicolored plastic capsules after you put in your quarter, like the spider rings and temporary tattoos?

Big Grin

I suspect you're referring to a "Bitcoin ATM", which is a terminal where people can exchange cash for Bitcoin in their digital wallet, and vice versa. Basically the automated Bitcoin equivalent of something like buying physical gold/silver with cash at a precious metals dealer, or selling gold/silver for cash at a dealer. In either case, the Bitcoin ATM or gold/silver dealer takes a small percentage as their fee. The difference is that while the value of gold and silver also fluctuates, they don't do so nearly as dramatically as Bitcoin, and unlike a cryptocurrency, gold and silver have intrinsic value.

come and take it
posted Hide Post
"Investing" in Crypto is going swimming in shark infested waters for sure. Yes some people make money in it, most lose their shirt.

I have very actively traded in BTC, ETH, ADA, LINK, and XRP for 2 years. I have had some great trades. But you get on the wrong side of a trade with leverage and the whales will try to liquidate your account in a 5 minute 100% retracement.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1893 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not believe it is likely the bottom will fall out of crypto.

My attempts to grok Bitcoin have failed. While traditional markets have mastered the value of 'how many zeros' , cryptocurrency in my view is working on manipulating 'when the decimal point is moved'.

I am unable to get beyond the physical aspects of 'intrinsic value'. The whimsical nature of an invented asset that lives only on the computer file.

It might have appealed to me when I was 18, but I've seen enough inevitable consequences of ignoring gravity.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Do you have any vices currently? The answer is almost certainly yes.

Stop doing that, or them (let's be honest you probably have a plurality of vices) for a week or so and if you still feel like doing something with the money you saved...

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine if you bought Bitcoin , hundreds or thousands of them , back when it was practically worthless. A $500 gamble back then would be worth hundreds of millions of dollars today . Seems like a no brainer to me.

So wouldn't Amazon, Apple and many other stocks. You just need a clear and reliable crystal ball.
For that matter ammo and toilet paper just a year ago would have been much better than almost any stocks. Even if they didn't appreciate you could still shoot them and wipe your whatever too.

Posts: 9544 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do invest, do it with the big ones.

A Crypto Exchange CEO Dies—With the Only Key to $137 Million
Customers of QuadrigaCX are out as much as $190 million after CEO Gerry Cotten died; Cotten reportedly was the only one with the key to retrieve the money.

https://www.wired.com/story/cr...es-holding-only-key/

Posts: 110 | Location: florida | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:

I am unable to get beyond the physical aspects of 'intrinsic value'.

But that's just it, isn't it? there is no "intrinsic value." It has no value in and of itself. People can track the provenance of each bitcoin - big deal. Some electricity and computing power were used to "mine" each bitcoin - okay and so?

It's current value is based on the demand for the currency itself with nothing to back it except for the full faith and credit of the internet.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19707 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Aren't traditional investments enough of a gamble?

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
Lots of potential money to be made but IMO it is pure gambling. Have a couple friends that have made 40-50K over the past year on 10K investments. I know another guy that lost money over last year.

Did your friends that made these profits take the cash and leave that market, or did they leave it there, and are going for millions in profit from their 10K investment?

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post