SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is the house you live in an "investment?"
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the house you live in an "investment?" Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's only worth money if you are (1) willing to sell it and can obtain housing arrangements for less in your desired location or (2) you take out a equity mortgage on the house.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say that your primary home is an asset not an investment. It can be an investment after time if for example the house is large and appreciated a bit, and then the owners decide to sell it, invest the money and pay cash for a much smaller retirement property.

However, sadly as it sounds for at least 80% of homeowners, their house is either their only asset of any real value.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
I bought my house in 1996. I was renting and didn't have a big enough garage to build a hot rod project I was starting, so I figured why not, buy a house with a big garage. I didn't buy it for the investment, but now that I have over 300k in equity, I'll call it a good investment.

We are in Northern California and prices keep climbing. It will help us out when we sell and get the heck out of California and buy a house in a free state.

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1549 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post