SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Items taken from BIL unlocked house.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Items taken from BIL unlocked house. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
he needs to change his mindset

same with locked cars

thieves go door to door in mall parking lots - checking which cars are unlocked

locked cars = no theft; unlocked cars = theft

of course they could break-in with a locked door - why make it easy for them? that's just dumb

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
On my farm several times things that weren't locked up got taken. Things that were locked up didn't.
My boat lockers unlocked got cleaned out. The kicked ones didn't get broken into.

Foolish not to take measures.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The fact that the burglars armed themselves suggests to me that your relatives should not only lock their doors, but also acquire a carry weapon, learn to use it, and carry it at all times.

Posts: 26966 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43930 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:They don't lock their house when gone. No point he says. If you get robbed with the doors locked then you have still been robbed but also have a busted door to fix.

It's one thing to be pragmatic, it's another to take it to a stupid level. There's all sorts of humorous but idiotic memes about redneck ingenuity, it's also known as being pragmatically stupid.

Not locking your doors because he doesn't want to deal with changing a door/lock, is pragmatically stupid.

Posts: 14708 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have to keep our doors locked to protect stupid thieves from our dog (and me).

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Brother in law and his wife. A hard working highly respected and reasonably smart folks...

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

Q

Posts: 26547 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They may have been really really lucky, or it could have just been some punk ass kids.

"Punk ass kids" will kill you just as dead as a hardened ex-con.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I never understood the unlocked door theory.
"I live in a nice neighborhood" --> FACT: Bad guys have vehicles and drive them wherever they want.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
To recap, your brother-in-law didn't think it necessary to make ANY effort to secure his guns, and now those guns are in the hands of people who are-- by definition-- criminals, criminals who might not have had actual guns previously but now do.

In simpler terms, your dumbass BIL just armed felons.

Might want to actually explain it to him in those terms. Then, kick him in the balls for me. Hard and several times would be ideal, because I-- or another LEO, or a private citizen-- might some day have to fucking deal with some lowlife armed with one of those guns.

I really, really dislike "blaming the victim" but make exceptions for these scenarios.

Posts: 2476 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Some thieves don't care about locked doors and some ore looking for the easy target. I try and not be the easy target.

I had a buddy who drove a soft top jeep and never locked it and would tell us that he never kept anything of value in it and would rather have thieves just open the doors rather than cut the top...Fast forward to the day the Jeep finally got broken into by the top being slashed wide open and his dash being smahed to get the radio

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Flaming freakin idiots. Lock up or don’t bitch when your stuff gets taken. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13748 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Brother in law and his wife. A hard working highly respected and reasonably smart folks...

Some of the most book smart and educated people I know are the biggest idiots when it comes to common sense.

quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
"I live in a nice neighborhood" --> FACT: Bad guys have vehicles and drive them wherever they want.

If I were a criminal, that's where I'd strike for a couple of reasons:

1. people in the "nice" neighborhoods let their guards down
2. poor people probably don't have many things worth taking

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Can we take it easy with the insults?

Posts: 107786 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Some of the most book smart and educated people I know are the biggest idiots when it comes to common sense.

quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:

If I were a criminal, that's where I'd strike for a couple of reasons:

1. people in the "nice" neighborhoods let their guards down
2. poor people probably don't have many things worth taking

I take care of a boat at a $10 million house (and many other very expensive homes). House is around 12k square feet under air and 16k square feet total.

I was at the house today, but it just reinforces the points above. The other thing is, the ultra wealthy are so accustomed to seeing many different strange people in their back yards. They don't lift an eyebrow when a strange person is wandering around their yard. Every single time I go to the house, there are different people on the grounds, it doesn't matter what time of the day. Pool guys, landscapers, dog poop picker upper, a/c guy, chimney cleaner for the outdoor pizza oven, boat lift maintenance guy, pressure cleaning guy, etc. etc. I have literally walked right in the side door and wandered around 4,000-6,000 square feet of the house with nobody in sight and calling out the owners name before I found him. Doors are usually unlocked during the day as full time staff are there 1-2 maids. You could easily walk down an entire wing of the house without running into anyone and could grab whatever you wanted in broad daylight and most likely get away with it. (They do have camera's though). A lot of very wealthy houses are like this. I can't tell you how many owners houses the back sliding glass door is always unlocked because they let the dog in and out and are too lazy to lock it, etc. They live on the cul de sac, but the entire street is always lined with workers trucks M-F 9-5pm. It's like a lot of yachts, 90% of them have the key hidden in one of the usual spots on the aft deck (like under a can in the storage locker) all over town. Everyone in the industry knows it. It just stops the non boater thieves from opening the door! A lot of thieves are opportunistic and if they see an easy score, they'll go for it, even though they're not out on the prowl.....a door or window open at a house, a car with the windows down.....etc.
Now most thieves don't steal from poor people because they don't have anything.

I have a friend that picked up the wrong $2 million yacht once. Both neighbors had nearly identical yachts. Owners were in their backyard in the pool, even said Hi and waved at the guys. They saw the dealer shirts on them and figured their Captain had arranged it. Only did they get to the dealership that someone else realized it was the wrong boat!!!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post