Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2370025794

January 04, 2023, 09:21 PM
Il Cattivo
Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH
quote:
pettiness such as committee assignments

When you're trying to alter the flow of legislation, as well as the way the House spends time and money, committee assignments and chairmanships become pretty important. From the other side's perspective, promises from McCarthy mean nothing but committee seats make it possible for them to do the work themselves rather than relying on McCarthy's good will.
January 04, 2023, 09:26 PM
doublesharp
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Yeah I am aware of that, but that does not make him an angel. Here:
Gaetz has attacked the Justice Department for not doing more to prosecute alleged co-conspirators who tried to shake down his wealthy father, former state Senate president Don Gaetz, for $25 million in return for securing a presidential pardon of the congressman in the sex crimes investigation. Gaetz’s father went to the FBI and wore a wire to catch the suspects — one of whom has since pleaded guilty.
Interesting huh? Read up on his Wingman, Joel Greenberg. Sordid tabloid stuff, not something I want to know about my Reprentative.
Would you let Gaetz babysit your kids?

Yeah, you hate Gaetz and you think Hannity is arbiter of truth and justice (and if she kept Hannity from interrupting she should get a medal as that has not been done before). You bring up all the dirty linen on Gaetz that we should read up on but you post no links? My opinion is your opinion is based on your personal dislike for Gaetz and that you like to stir shit and argue. Wink

January 04, 2023, 09:50 PM
Gustofer
DAN CRENSHAW TRASHES BRAVE REPUBLICANS FED UP WITH THE STATUS QUO, CALLS KEVIN MCCARTHY’S DISSENTERS ‘TERRORISTS’

https://mediarightnews.com/dan...ssenters-terrorists/

(Sorry about the all-caps. Just copied the headline.)

Please Texas, fire this son of a bitch. Then he can get his dream job as a CNN correspondent.

January 04, 2023, 09:57 PM
wishfull thinker
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
I am so cool with elbows under the net...
Say what?

jr. high basketball metaphor for rough play or worse. I'll do better next time.

January 04, 2023, 10:00 PM
doublesharp
JD Rucker has a good take on Hannity, McCarthy and the sausage making process.

https://thelibertydaily.com/th...out-so-aggressively/

The Anti-McCarthy Plan Is Working Properly Which Is Why Uniparty Swamp Shill Sean Hannity Is Lashing Out so Aggressively
By J.D. Rucker • Jan. 4, 2023

It may not be popular to post this considering the wild political debate within the Republican Party at this time, but the vocal minority of 20 Congressman is in the right as they push to force Kevin McCarthy to stand down and allow someone else to take the helm in the House. Fox News host Sean Hannity is siding with McCarthy because that’s what he’s been instructed to do. He’s playing his role as RINO shepherd to lay guilt on anyone who doesn’t abide by the GOP Establishment’s wishes.

He turned his GOPe spokesperson talents against Congresswoman Lauren Boebert on his show tonight. He questioned why McCarthy should stand down when he has 203 (it’s actually 201 but who’s counting?) supporters on his side while his opposition only has 20. On the surface, it’s a fair question. But the reality is McCarthy has 201 Representatives who are WILLING to let him be Speaker of the House. He does NOT have 201 members who WANT him there.

The fallacy in Hannity’s argument is to assume that nobody could get 218 or more votes from among the 222 Republicans. This is unambiguously false. There are several members who would easily get 218 votes in the caucus and at least a few who would get all 222. McCarthy’s support is by default for many who are voting for him because he has positioned himself as the de facto Speaker. But if you ask his 201 “supporters” if they really want him there rather than simply having a willingness to accept him, you’d find the ranks of his “supporters” would drop dramatically.

I would guesstimate that fewer than a dozen Representatives PREFER McCarthy over all other viable candidates. The lukewarm supporters just haven’t been handed a consensus candidate; thus far none of the Representatives nominated by the band of 20 opposition voters have had universal appeal. This is by design.

The strategy is actually a good one by Matt Gaetz and those standing with him against McCarthy. They are wearing the caucus down with choices that are ideal to the Freedom Caucus like Andy Biggs, Jim Jordan, and Byron Donalds. That’s how negotiations start; you offer up your best-case-scenarios as the starting point and work your way down from there. If their end goal is to have a consensus Speaker, they will nominate someone less “right wing” soon, someone like Steve Scalise or even former Congressman Lee Zeldin. They would have someone very well spoken offer the nomination with a heartfelt plea on the floor after garnering support from some of the members currently supporting McCarthy. As McCarthy sheds votes and shows no signs of recovery, he will be obliged to stand down.

Hannity knows this. That’s why he’s trying so hard to subvert them now knowing in the long run they will prevail.

Conservatives have been compromising for decades at the behest of Swamp mouthpieces like Hannity. It has only worked to keep the Establishment firmly in control. I would argue with a near certainty that Hannity’s forked tongue is, at least in part, what got Donald Trump to back people like Dr. Mehmet Oz and now Kevin McCarthy in the first place.

Here’s the first part of the interview. Admittedly, I couldn’t make it all the way through listening to him constantly interrupt Boebert while simultaneously claiming she was talking over him. Anyone who can stand to watch the whole thing can do so here.

How long has @seanhannity been owned by the Uniparty Swamp? Has it been his whole career or did this just happen in the last few years?

Either some entity has leverage over him, someone's paying him to be this way, or he's always been a serpent who hates this nation.

— JD Rucker (@JDRucker) January 5, 2023

The strategy Matt Gaetz, Lauren Boebert, and their fellow conservatives are engaged in is working properly. Soon, they will nominate a consensus candidate and McCarthy will stand down. It’s not ideal, but we need someone better than McCarthy to hold the gavel.

January 04, 2023, 10:41 PM
drill sgt
Power hungry a-holes that think somebody is getting more than them. Need term limits to break the cycle. Party membership be damned. ............................. drill sgt.
January 04, 2023, 10:51 PM
nhtagmember
don't be in such a hurry to get the vote over with

the republicans are hamstrung and look like fools not even able to elect one of their own

it shows who they are, what they are, and what they will be

they're disorganized and this is holding them up to the much deserved ridicule showing how utterly incompetent they are

and while they're finger fucking themselves, they are not passing any new laws to steal more money out of your paycheck, they're not passing new laws restricting your rights...

this gridlock is a good thing
January 04, 2023, 11:00 PM
Gustofer
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
this gridlock is a good thing

As I said earlier, they are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. Precisely what we hired them to do. This is how that body is supposed to work.

In the end, I may not get the Speaker that I want, but at least I'll know that the process works...as ugly as it is.

January 05, 2023, 12:12 AM
Rey HRH
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^Who are you referring to as 'you'? I'm not offering anything, but I am enjoying all the drama! Razz

That was a generic "you" to the other side. If I was referring to you, I would quote you or call out your name.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
January 05, 2023, 06:57 AM
divil
In this situation anything that embarrasses and stymies the uniparty scum, I applaud.
January 05, 2023, 07:12 AM
ElToro
Gaetz is my congressman. I have met him, I like him. My high school age kid says oh he creeps on girls and this and that. Well Nevermind the complete shitshow of a personal life of the person the Dems ran against him this last election. He still won something 70-30 in this district. I told my boy do you really know how much the Biden DOJ hates this guy ? If there was even a sniff of a possible charge available they would have strung his ass up ? Even the tawdry accusations didn’t derail him. And they never charged him even with jaywalking.

If they can’t vote on a speaker they can’t seat the house. The longer they can’t seat the house the less damage the can do. These insane scenarios where a Dem could end in the speaker seat are amusing but I think they will all come around and vote KM into the speakership and they can get back to business of running this country off a financial cliff. Do I want Jim Jordan investigating the Biden crime family ? Yes I do. Do I think it will get any attention outside of Fox and Talk radio and some YouTube personalities? Not a chance.
January 05, 2023, 08:26 AM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
Yeah, you hate Gaetz and you think Hannity is arbiter of truth and justice (and if she kept Hannity from interrupting she should get a medal as that has not been done before). You bring up all the dirty linen on Gaetz that we should read up on but you post no links?

^^^^^^^^^^
I think integrity is important unlike yourself. I guess you are a fan of Santos as well. I think Hannity should have shut off her microphone like Laura Ingraham did later that evening. LOL
January 05, 2023, 08:34 AM
SIGnified
quote:
quote:
Yeah, you hate Gaetz and you think Hannity is arbiter of truth and justice (and if she kept Hannity from interrupting she should get a medal as that has not been done before). You bring up all the dirty linen on Gaetz that we should read up on but you post no links?

^^^^^^^^^^
I think integrity is important unlike yourself. I guess you are a fan of Santos as well. I think Hannity should have shut off her microphone like Laura Ingraham did later that evening. LOL

Doesn’t integrity include allowing people to vote for who the hell they want in Florida while you sit in Louisiana kibitzing?

Jebuus … looks like Louisiana is a mess. New Orleans is now the murder capital of the United States. Get your own damn house in order first, then you can lecture us, maybe.

Florida seems to be running just fine lately. Even a model for elections I would postulate.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
January 05, 2023, 08:38 AM
chellim1
quote:
I think Hannity should have shut off her microphone like Laura Ingraham did later that evening. LOL

I didn't see her cut off Lauren Boebert, but I did see this:

... what looks chaotic, is actually, in it's own way, refreshing...

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6318210688112

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
January 05, 2023, 08:40 AM
ZSMICHAEL
^^^^^^^^^^^
OK. How is the homeless situation in the PNW?? And Good Morning to you!!
January 05, 2023, 08:44 AM
RichardC
It is a splendid modern replay of an epic tale told down through the ages.

The GDCommunist horde: I am a generous god!

The Free: Hold!

Give them nothing,
but take from them, everything!

January 05, 2023, 08:46 AM
SIGnified
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^
OK. How is the homeless situation in the PNW?? And Good Morning to you!!

Good morning!

I don’t know… Not homeless here. lol

None of my neighbors are either.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
January 05, 2023, 08:49 AM
TMats
Rep. Chip Roy (R, TX), delivering a short, eloquent speech on the House floor.

January 05, 2023, 08:54 AM
BOATTRASH1
Gaetz has not been charged, indicted or arrested for anything. Just attacked with, so far, unproven allegations.
The opponent against him in the last election had nothing to offer except he was a Marine pilot, Fed Ex exec and Matt Gaetz bad!
Gaetz and the others are doing what they were sent there to do. Unlike people that were sent there and quickly became assimilated into the Swamp, like Dan Crenshaw.
January 05, 2023, 08:57 AM
SIGnified
I want to know what the hell Dan Crenshaw was doing in the UKR…

~Robert A. Heinlein