SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soundbars - Formerly Denon - Sonos Ordered
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soundbars - Formerly Denon - Sonos Ordered Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Back to work anniversary voucher shopping & one of the new options since it refreshed is a Denon DHT-S517 soundbar/sub.

May take a bit of reconfiguring on my current TV setup, as I don't have enough lower gap for a soundbar as it sits, but have the space to move the TV up to make room.

Denon is a brand I'm not knowledgeable on, but it's one of the few options that's enticing on the list. Otherwise I'll burn the voucher to get some early Christmas shopping done.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15366 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Denon makes good stuff. I haven't listened to that particular unit.

Posts: 9479 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I've used Denon home theater receivers for about 20 years and never had any problems, however I've never used any of their speakers. I would take them over Vizio, Samsung, LG, or Sony entry level soundbars on reputation alone.

Posts: 4206 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I have had the Denon DHT-S514 for a number of years and absolutely love it. It was far superior to Samsungs I listened to in the store when I was shopping for a soundbar. I even like it better than my Mom's Sonos. I highly recommend it and will buy whatever the current Denon version is when it comes time to replace my current system.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2389 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents, need to measure tonight & see if I have the room to fit it, if I raise the TV a bit.
It's snug in there now, but has some headroom, just have to be sure I leave enough height to re-mount the TV.

Posts: 15366 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Denon receivers for over 20yrs, the best. Never have had their speakers. For those I've always done Polk Audio. Would not hesitate to try out a Denon speaker though.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
New option - Sonos Beam

Slowplaying this whole thing to see if anything new pops up, seems like a revolving set of options.

Current soundbar pick is a Sonos Beam

Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it will fit in your setup but I highly recommend the Sonos Arc. I got one to replace my 3.1 Yamaha setup about a month ago and holy crap!

Posts: 674 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It's a work anniversary voucher deal, and only the Beam is available.
Formerly it was a Vizio & Denon, it cycles a couple times a week with different options.

Online reviews have the Beam Gen2 rated pretty well, but I don't really know much on home audio stuff.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The plus side with the Sonos is you can build up a system over time and control it from your phone. The biggest downside compared to some other soundbars is it won't come with a subwoofer. THeir sub mini costs $430 while their larger one is $800.

Posts: 4206 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I like the Nakamichi sound bars if going this route. But free stuff is free stuff!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
The plus side with the Sonos is you can build up a system over time and control it from your phone. The biggest downside compared to some other soundbars is it won't come with a subwoofer. THeir sub mini costs $430 while their larger one is $800.

I love Sonos, and my family listens to music more than they ever would if we didn’t have Sonos.

I’ve read that the Sonos sub mini has some crossover issues and can play a lot of midrange noise.

I got a Beam for my mom though and it sounds great! I may have to get her a sub mini so I can see what the deal is with it. Stats indicate it’s decent.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, jumped on the Sonos before it drops off the options. About the only thing on there that I knew would get a lot of use.

Now to adjust the TV mount so it'll actually fit Razz

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’m a huge fan of Sonos. I have the Arc sound bar with 2 Play 1s, the Sonos Subwoofer, 2 Play 5s and a Sonos Move. Great stuff.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
You won’t be sorry with Sonos.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Out for delivery
Hopefully I can get the TV down to move the mount up a couple inches to get everything to fit.
Will also give a chance to organize the mess behind, get the router & switch mounted on the wall & clean up the cables a bit.

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I love my Sonos.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
One of IT clients is a Sonus dealer and I have reviewed them.
They are quite nice and one of the best Soundbars.
I would have opted for the ARC if I were to install one.
However, I am more of an AVR guy but understand they can be a good value and reasonable performance, maybe not up to an AVR installation but still very capable nonetheless.
Interested to find out how they perform for you.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Ikea has a couple of Sonos products that are called Symphonik I think. I have the bookshelf version and they look, sound, and are built with the same components as the Play:1.

You can even get a “fake book” grill for them.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Received & installed.
Initial impressions are good. Massively better than the onboard TV speakers.
Had seen some reviews about lack of bass, but it's a good bit more than having none from the little TV speakers.

Having angled speakers on the ends of the bar gives a much better sound to our parallel couches.