SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should I fire my new doctor? Update page 3.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I fire my new doctor? Update page 3. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Frayedends. I applaud your results. Would that it was the same for me. I fought medications for years. Finally, at 74, I surrendered. Everybody in my family has high blood pressure and cholesterol. I exercise every day, either treadmill or rowing machine, along with weight training. I’m not overweight and I watch my diet.

Despite that, my blood pressure averages 170/95 so I now take a couple pills. If not for the meds, I guess my head would explode.

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
Frayedends. I applaud your results. Would that it was the same for me. I fought medications for years. Finally, at 74, I surrendered. Everybody in my family has high blood pressure and cholesterol. I exercise every day, either treadmill or rowing machine, along with weight training. I’m not overweight and I watch my diet.

Despite that, my blood pressure averages 170/95 so I now take a couple pills. If not for the meds, I guess my head would explode.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I question BP meds because BP is a body response to something being wrong. To me it's lowering BP with meds may not be a good thing. But at 74 if it's something I can't fix with diet and exercise, then I think meds will be okay. I just didn't like the brand new doctor immediately going to meds without even suggesting I fix my party lifestyle.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Obviously everyone's make up is different. So take what I say as general advice from my experience.

I fought high BP from about 45 years old to about 66, taking all sorts of meds that usually either lowered my BP to the point of passing out, or did shit and my BP stayed high yet had side effects. Those years of walking around with high BP, damaged my kidneys. They don't heal themselves so I'm stuck with that. Once I decided (for real) to lose some weight and get into shape, things improved quickly. I went from 165 to 140 and good grief, what a difference. BP went from 175/95 with meds to 120/75 with no meds. With the current stay at home deal I've crept up to 150 but for the most part labs are still good in that area. After I get my two Covid shots, I'll start going back to the gym. I do miss that.

So I guess my message is... take a hard look in the mirror. If you see a fat guy, don't rationalize it by thinking most guys your age are this fat. Screw the other fat guys and get serious about getting into shape. It will change your life. I get it that folks in their 70' with multiple conditions can't realistically go on a exercise program, so please don't take offense to my comments. Do what your Dr says and don't take advice from some dude on the internet.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
, so please don't take offense to my comments. Do what your Dr says and don't take advice from some dude on the internet

If I did what my doctor said I’d be living the high life eating carb sandwiches and drinking 3 nights a week. I’d be on 3 meds and secure knowing that my fat and alcohol wasn’t a problem as it’s all genetics. So I say screw that. I plan to find another doctor and I’ll research better this time.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Once I decided (for real) to lose some weight and get into shape, things improved quickly. I went from 165 to 140 and good grief, what a difference. BP went from 175/95 with meds to 120/75 with no meds.

I'm seriously asking, are you like a small guy? I can't imagine a 165 pound man as needing to lose weight to improve his blood pressure. The skinniest I ever was was 185 pounds and I was fit.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Once I decided (for real) to lose some weight and get into shape, things improved quickly. I went from 165 to 140 and good grief, what a difference. BP went from 175/95 with meds to 120/75 with no meds.

I'm seriously asking, are you like a small guy? I can't imagine a 165 pound man as needing to lose weight to improve his blood pressure. The skinniest I ever was was 185 pounds and I was fit.

I guess I'm in the small group. 5'8" and small boned. My BMI says At 145 , BMI is 22. Right in the middle of the scae. I lost a ton of muscle with a surgery and 22 days laying in a hospital bed which I've not yet been able to recover... Pisses me off, that's how it is. I go by the mirror test. If I look like a fat-ass I probably am.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
, so please don't take offense to my comments. Do what your Dr says and don't take advice from some dude on the internet

If I did what my doctor said I’d be living the high life eating carb sandwiches and drinking 3 nights a week. I’d be on 3 meds and secure knowing that my fat and alcohol wasn’t a problem as it’s all genetics. So I say screw that. I plan to find another doctor and I’ll research better this time.

Yep, find a good Dr. I started signing up with doctors at UTSW (University of Texas South West) after my surgery there which was done very professionally, and with a lot of care. No disrespect to any other hospitals in the area, but these people are the ultimate pros.

-D.H. Lawrence

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I once did a job in D.C. and when it was done, I took my contact and his boss out to dinner at a steak house.

They both drank a lot of beer, ate steaks and french fries for dinner.

We got to talking and both of them are on prescription medications for cholesterol. They both told me they could eat healthier diets and drink less and get their cholesterol down to normal but they preferred eating and drinking whatever they wanted, so they went the better living through chemistry way.

Oh well, I guess it's just the way a lot of instant gratification people are these days.

Total disclosure:

I ate and drank the same stuff as them, but my cholesterol and blood pressure are normal but it's due to my DNA, not drugs or abstinence.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Frayedends- Just a note of encouragement. Keep going with the diet and exercise. I'm 52 years old. On the 15th of November I weighed 264lbs. I'm a short guy. As of this morning I weigh 229lbs. My BP was running anywhere from 130/85 to 145/95 on a regular basis. That is on two BP meds. This morning it was 125/77 and that has been the new norm since the beginning of December.

This has happened almost completely with diet. I was lifting some, however my power rack is outside and I really cant do the 20 degree windchill while lifting so I haven't lifted for a couple of weeks.

My ultimate goal is to lose enough weight to get rid of some of the bp meds. I believe that is totally possible. Genetics do play a role, but they are not the end all be all. If they were, my weight loss wouldn't have made a difference.

My doc wants me to go on a statin but that's not happening. I have tried them and I don't do well on them. Diet and exercise have helped me much more than a statin ever did.

Doctors say diet and exercise wont work because statistically most people won't stick with it. While true, it ignores the thousands who have turned things around and do stick with it. You can do it. Keep going. If you find that what you're doing isn't as effective as you want, A) make sure your expectations are realistic and B) don't be afraid to tweak or change things up. Just keep moving forward.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the encouragement! I’m seeing a lot of stories of people keeping their blood pressure low and the cholesterol low using meds. However they don’t seem to live any longer. People who change their diet and exercise more live longer. That’s the path I want to take.

These go to eleven.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the encouragement! I’m seeing a lot of stories of people keeping their blood pressure low and the cholesterol low using meds. However they don’t seem to live any longer. People who change their diet and exercise more live longer. That’s the path I want to take.

You're a smart man. I exercise daily and agree completely with your assessment.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post