SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Easy dressing for someone on blood thinner?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easy dressing for someone on blood thinner? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Most of this is just annoying bleeding, vs life-threatening bleeding. I agree, gauze and 5 minutes of squeezing the hell out of it should suffice.

For even the most severe bleeding (arms and legs) a person can do a good job slowing it down just by pressing above the injury where the main artery/vein crosses a bony structure. No special equipment needed.

For example, if they mangle their forearm with a chainsaw, they can call 911 and put the phone on speaker, while holding pressure on the front of the shoulder, or under the bicep, to slow the bleeding enough to not bleed to death before the ambulance gets there. You can test this by feeling someone's pulse vanish while applying the pressure. Or if you have a pulse-ox, by putting it on their finger and applying pressure and seeing it go to zero.

Same thing in the pelvis...where the artery/vein go over the ball of the hip, just a little pressure with a fist will completely occlude the blood flow.

"Pressure points" used to be taught in EMT class...not sure if they still are...but they absolutely work. There will still be bleeding, but not life-threatening bleeding, and it will buy time for trained personnel to get there.

I would also not hesitate to use a hemostatic gauze, if it was necessary. They work well in this case, and will be more effective than cotton gauze. People on blood thinners and people that are hypothermic are actually the rare cases where I'd go to a hemostatic gauze first, and I'd pick Celox as my first choice.

I've seen people on blood thinners almost bleed to death from a simple varicose vein rupturing. I've had to hold pressure all the way to the hospital and they are still bleeding when you get there, on significant lacerations. The danger is real.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I've taken several GSW/MVA accident medical aid classes and every instructor has said just pack the wound and apply pressure and a tourniquet if necessary. YMMV.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Gauze and Vetwrap. I carry rolls of Vetwrap in all my vehicles and first aid kits. Amazingly versatile stuff, as you can wrap loose or tight, and it's self-adhering. I've never tried it as a tourniquet, but it would probably work for all but the tightest. You can definitely apply a lot of pressure with VetWrap.

It puzzles me that 3M makes a self-adhering Ace Bandage (that doesn't adhere very well), and VetWrap which works wonderfully. And a roll of Ace bandage is twice or more the cost of VetWrap, probably because it is "supposed to be" reusable. VetWrap is single use and discard.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10795 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
As others have stated, the newer products don’t create heat when applied but surprisingly enough we still occasionally see the older stuff used as people have it stored for an emergency, sometimes for years, before they use it, in an emergency. Tourniquets work and can be used but it’s a pretty rare situation. Also if there’s a fracture there can still be significant bleeding from the bone despite a properly placed tourniquet. If a tourniquet is applied it’s ideal to note the time the tourniquet was applied. Hopefully you never need to use any of the above advice.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1895 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Gauze and Vetwrap. I carry rolls of Vetwrap in all my vehicles and first aid kits. Amazingly versatile stuff, as you can wrap loose or tight, and it's self-adhering. I've never tried it as a tourniquet, but it would probably work for all but the tightest. You can definitely apply a lot of pressure with VetWrap.

It puzzles me that 3M makes a self-adhering Ace Bandage (that doesn't adhere very well), and VetWrap which works wonderfully. And a roll of Ace bandage is twice or more the cost of VetWrap, probably because it is "supposed to be" reusable. VetWrap is single use and discard.

Coflex and several other brands market self adhesive compression bandages similar to vetwrap for both veterinary and human use.

I think Ace bandages are better for joint support, but coflex/vetwrap is better for wound bandaging.

I don't think either is particularly suitable for use as a tourniquet. Even actual tourniquets based on elastic compression aren't always effective.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe there is still a product called Gel Foam that is made from absorbable gelatin. It comes in pads and I believe other forms as well. It has been around for a long time and my only personal experience with it was with a glass cut that ran like a fire hose. It worked very well then!

Posts: 520 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's my dad so I want to get this right. But keep in mind that he's old and not always thinking straight / fast these days. Also has chronic heart disease (not sure how much blood he can lose and still be okay).

If I summarize the above:

1) Gauze, tape (or Israeli bandage) and pressure is primarily indicated for most household cuts resulting in significant / prolonged bleeding.

2) If unable to stem / reduce bleeding while waiting for ambulance or driving to ER a concern, then apply hemostatics like Celox pad and/or Wound Seal (not sure what this is) and/or Steri Strips. Prefer Celox pads over Celox granules (hard to remove / clean later).

Look into Vetwrap/Coflex.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12763 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Steri-strips won’t work on active bleeds, they won’t stick to wet skin. They’re to prevent re-opening like a suture would. (you can cut some tape to make butterfly bandages, same thing)
Gauze and pressure should work and should suffice until help arrives or they arrive where the help is.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Remember, don't 'change' bloodied gauze. Apply more over the existing material. Fresh gauze will act like a sponge and may promote fresh bleeding.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
It's my dad so I want to get this right. But keep in mind that he's old and not always thinking straight / fast these days. Also has chronic heart disease (not sure how much blood he can lose and still be okay).

If I summarize the above:

1) Gauze, tape (or Israeli bandage) and pressure is primarily indicated for most household cuts resulting in significant / prolonged bleeding.

2) If unable to stem / reduce bleeding while waiting for ambulance or driving to ER a concern, then apply hemostatics like Celox pad and/or Wound Seal (not sure what this is) and/or Steri Strips. Prefer Celox pads over Celox granules (hard to remove / clean later).

Look into Vetwrap/Coflex.

Israeli bandages and the like are great, and they make pressure bandaging large "you're going to die" wounds to the torso or limbs a lot easier, but they're far from ideal for cuts to the hands and fingers, which are very common household injuries. They also often have extra bits intended to increase pressure to the wound that make them more complicated to apply. Instead of actual "Israeli Bandages," I might get a simpler pressure bandage (basically just an Ace bandage with a thick gauze pad attached at one end).

A 2" roll of Coflex/Vetwrap and some gauze work really well for smaller wounds anywhere.

Also, if budget is at all a factor, look into buying from an actual medical supply company rather than, say, the drugstore. CVS and Walgreens often price first aid supplies 5-10x the price you can get them online.

As an example, a 2"x2.2 yard roll of coflex from CVS is $4.19. A 2"x5 yard roll of coflex from Rescue Essentials is $1.50.

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-h...-yards-prodid-210000

https://www.rescue-essentials....-cohesive-wrap-blue/

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Agree - I say household cut but I'm envisioning a large gash on the arm or leg. Something likely to require multiple stitches. Smaller cuts on the hands / fingers agree that just wrapping tightly with gauze and tape probably sufficient to get to ER.

I'll look into pressure bandages. I need to keep this quick and simple - my parents, at this age, are not really first aid / trauma capable.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12763 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
If you want a super-simple pressure bandage, maybe look at the Coflex AFD (same stretchy, self-adhesive wrap as coflex, but with a foam wound dressing attached at one end) or one of the pressure bandages that's just an Ace bandage with a wound dressing attached at one end.

https://www.rescue-essentials....foam-dressing-4-tan/

https://www.rescue-essentials....ncy-trauma-dressing/

A lot of trauma dressings have pads that unfold to cover larger areas, or pockets with gauze rolls in them, or various attachments over the pad to increase pressure on the wound, or other stuff - things that could confuse someone who wasn't familiar with them or slow down application.

Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Knife and a lighter.

I'm old school.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
An old guy is not going to know how to use an Israeli bandage. It comes with class time, hands on experience and practice.

Id definitely buy a modern hemostatic z fold gauze. Could be the difference between a $1000 ER visit or get it under control at home.

These are the big three players....

https://www.rescue-essentials....olded-red-packaging/

https://www.rescue-essentials....n-chitogauze-xr-pro/

https://www.rescue-essentials....e-z-folded-military/

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Speaking of this I do have to say last April while in the hospital for the first time in 50 years they put me on some more serious blood thinners .... made my blood so thin my kidneys could not filter it,....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Coflex and several other brands market self adhesive compression bandages similar to vetwrap for both veterinary and human use.

I think Ace bandages are better for joint support, but coflex/vetwrap is better for wound bandaging.

I don't think either is particularly suitable for use as a tourniquet. Even actual tourniquets based on elastic compression aren't always effective.

I use mostly Coflex, and sometimes Vetwrap, but used the term vetwrap sort of as a generic product name, like Skilsaw. You're probably correct about the tourniquet. I've never tried it, but was just trying to illustrate how much pressure you can achieve with the vetwrap. You can easily cut off blood circulation.

I use it for wound care, to keep a dressing in place. And it also does very well holding a splint in place.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10795 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

I use mostly Coflex, and sometimes Vetwrap, but used the term vetwrap sort of as a generic product name, like Skilsaw. You're probably correct about the tourniquet. I've never tried it, but was just trying to illustrate how much pressure you can achieve with the vetwrap. You can easily cut off blood circulation.

I use it for wound care, to keep a dressing in place. And it also does very well holding a splint in place.

Gotcha, I tend to use coflex the same way (as a general product category).

I agree it is pretty magical stuff.

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
When I was on warfin, the doc told me she chose it because it can be immediately reversed by a dose of vitamin K. I’d just recommend a normal pressure dressing and maybe having some vitamin k standing by

Not true, Vitamin K takes at least 2-3 days to reverse the INR. Not for use for active bleeding. Need one of the various IV meds (Kcentra, Cyoprecipitate, Fresh Frozen Plazma, or others) to reverse anticoaguant effects of warfarin (or Eliquis, Pradaxa, Xarelto).

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post