SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Disposing of a desktop computer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disposing of a desktop computer Login/Join 
posted
We have an older MAC, probably around 1999-2000, not sure. I replaced it 4 years ago with a large MAC and my wife has ordered a new non-MAC Laptop which will live where the old Mac currently resides.

So, I wanna get rid of the oldest one. I was gonna beat it to pieces with a hammer, stuff it in a garbage bag and .... But as I understand it, it's illegal to do so. Haven't actually checked that out yet.

So, there's places around here that want to recycle my electronics. But, what about the date I've slopppily left all over that old thing. Still got the same bank account, same passwords, same everything.

Okay, I read on the internet (yeah, I know, it's gotta be true) that all I need to do is erase, disconnect, back out and/or close out anything like bank info, passwords and other stuff then look for a place on the thing to restore factory setting, if there is one.)

Plus, I'm ignorant about computer stuff and just don't have the knack, talent or sense when it comes to that stuff. It almost always goes south when I touch it if it's electronic.

So-what do you think I should do with this old computer? I no longer have a boat, so a trip out in the Gulf is out, and they won't let me take it to the range and shoot it full of holes.

I'd love to recycle it and the Salvation Army says they'd take it, but the data on it causes me concern.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would it be illegal to destroy it? I would destroy it personally. You live near Tampa Bay, if you have access to saltwater, just submerge it for an hour, then throw it out, that should killify everything in it (hard drive). Or just remove the hard drive and give the rest of it away.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally with my old equipment, I remove and destroy the hard drive (obviously after making copies and moving everything off of it), and sometimes (while I'm already in there) drive a scratch awl through the CPU. At that point the PC is truly worthless for anything other than scrap, so I drop it off at one of the local recyclers.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not illegal to destroy it, illegal to put it in the garbage. Kind of conflicting info on the county's gargage site, so gotta call'em tomorrow.

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Take the hard drive out and sell the rest as a parts mac?

I usually just stack my old hard drives in the closet and if I ever need anything, i go digging.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Pull the hard drive, and destroy it. Donate the rest if the computer, or put a fresh drive in it and give it to someone.

You would be amazed at what can be recovered even after a fresh install of the operating system.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4026 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Run a thorough drive wiping program like DBan to completely wipe and overwrite all the data on the hard drive, then take everything to the donation/recycling/disposal place. https://dban.org/ In order to do this, you'll need to download Dban, and then use an ISO burning program to create a boot disk or thumb drive with DBan on it: https://www.lifewire.com/how-t...e-using-dban-2619148

Or, if you don't want to do that (or aren't computer savvy enough to do that), you can pull the hard drive out and physically destroy it, using bullets or a drill to poke large holes in the platter, throw away the hard drive remnants, and take everything else to the donation/recycling/disposal place.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just put it in your spare bedroom and let your heirs deal with it when you die.

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Pull the hard drive, and destroy it. Donate the rest if the computer, or put a fresh drive in it and give it to someone.

You would be amazed at what can be recovered even after a fresh install of the operating system.

There's a data protection service I know of that turns old HDs into powder. Just about the only way to keep people from lookin at yer bits.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No, physical destruction isn't the only way.

There are programs out there (like the aforementioned Dban) that repeatedly wipe and randomly overwrite the hard drive, rendering any prior data completely unrecoverable.

Hard drive data that is simply "deleted" is recoverable. But data that is deleted and then the 1s and 0s are overwritten (especially several times) is not recoverable.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pull the hard drive and put a few 9mm rounds through it. Works for me.

Awake not woke

Posts: 568 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I remove the hard drive then drop the rest of the chassis at the local electronic recycling place so they can recover the metals.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
sometime ago I was presented with a desk top w/tower/monitor that a friend had purchased from a local government surplus auction. He had purchased a pallet stacked full. he planned to scrap/recycle and while doing it he made one operational and gave it to me. Now I knew nothing and I mean nothing about computers but someone forgot about stored data that I somehow found of juvenile court records and immedately had friend come and remove that computer from my possesion. Supposidly they were cleaned prior to putting up for auction. .................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2013 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Remove the hard drive to be destroyed, then put it back together and leave it in the back of the truck overnight. It will be "gone" by morning.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Not sure I understood it all, but digesting it.

Bob

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK

Hard drive data that is simply "deleted" is recoverable. But data that is deleted and then the 1s and 0s are overwritten (especially several times) is not recoverable.

The key to that is the overwritten part. That’s where it becomes impossible.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4026 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
remove the hard drive. Destroy it. If I'm not pressed for time I normally shoot them (this is after all sigforum) but a couple of holes drilled in it is fine. The NSA is not going to tackle recovering it so an overwrite is just a PIA that's unneeded if you have physically made it unusable. recycle the rest.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If the computer is running and you have the patience to wait for the computer to wipe itself, then running DBAN from a USB stick would erase the drive irrecoverably.

If the computer is not running, pull the hard drive from the chassis and physically destroy the platters in the drive. Putting some dents into the housing of the drive with a hammer is insufficient. Find an appropriately sized screwdriver and dissemble down to the platter, and destroy the platter. I favor a torch and hammer.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Pull the hard drive and then do whatever you want with the computer.

Drill a few holes in the HD or just smash it.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
What model old Mac? Is it in working order. You’d be surprised what old Macs can bring on the used market.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post