SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump snubs Feinstein, Harris to nominate conservative judges to liberal 9th Circuit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump snubs Feinstein, Harris to nominate conservative judges to liberal 9th Circuit Login/Join 
posted
Good for President Trump.They want to act like babies then just bypass them.
https://www.foxnews.com/politi...-liberal-9th-circuit

President Trump is plowing ahead to fill three vacancies on the liberal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, brushing aside Democratic resistance to nominate conservative judges.

Presidents traditionally work with senators from judicial nominees' home state -- in this case, California -- to put forward judicial picks. They often seek what's known as a "blue slip," or an opinion from those senators.

But in a snub to California Democratic Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris, the White House announced Wednesday that Trump had nominated Patrick Bumatay, Daniel Collins and Kenneth Kiyul Lee (all from the Golden State, and reportedly all members of the conservative Federalist Society) to the influential circuit. The court, with a sprawling purview representing nine Western states, has long been a thorn in the side of the Trump White House, with rulings against the travel ban and limits on funding to "sanctuary cities."

GOP critics have branded the court the “Nutty 9th,” in part because many of its rulings have been overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Sacramento Bee reported that White House officials had been negotiating with Feinstein and Harris about the appointments earlier in the year, but the dialogue collapsed over the summer.

Any working relationship is likely only to have soured further after Harris and Feinstein led the charge on the Senate Judiciary Committee against the confirmation of now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. In particular, Trump and Republicans accused Feinstein of withholding information about an allegation of sexual assault against Kavanaugh until after the hearings were over. Both Feinstein and Harris voted against Kavanaugh's nomination, joined by all but one Democratic senator.

Feinstein and Harris reacted angrily to the news of the latest appointments. Feinstein said in a statement that she had been prepared to accept a reported White House proposal of three other judges. She said she opposed both Collins and Lee -- who she said had failed to disclose his “controversial writings” on voting rights and affirmative action.

“I repeatedly told the White House I wanted to reach an agreement on a package of 9th Circuit nominees, but last night the White House moved forward without consulting me, picking controversial candidates from its initial list and another individual with no judicial experience who had not previously been suggested,” she said in a statement.

“Instead of working with our office to identify consensus nominees for the 9th Circuit, the White House continues to try to pack the courts with partisan judges who will blindly support the president’s agenda, instead of acting as an independent check on this administration,” Harris spokeswoman Lily Adams told The Sacramento Bee.

Even with the nominations, it would not result in more Republican appointees than Democrat appointees. The Los Angeles Times reports that the approval Thursday of Idaho attorney Ryan Nelson brings the number of Republican appointees to 10 and, if Trump filled all the current openings, it would be 13 Republican appointees to 16 Democratic appointees.

The move comes amid a more aggressive push by Republicans to fill vacancies in the federal courts. Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said Thursday that he wanted the Senate to stay in session until all of the 49 currently pending judicial appointments are confirmed.

“Lots of work to do,” Grassley tweeted. “Senate [should] stay in session til all 49 judges are CONFIRMED/ work comes [before] campaigning.”

Grassley has suggested in the past that the "blue slip" process has been abused to block otherwise qualified nominees. In a late 2017 floor speech, the senator said colleagues should not "block a nominee because it’s not the person the senator would’ve picked." He said the White House should "consult" home-state senators and "make that call" in the end.

Both Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., have been at odds over finishing up nominees, with neither side willing to move following the grueling confirmation process for Kavanaugh. On Thursday night, the Senate eventually confirmed 15 of the nominees before leaving D.C. for the midterm campaign. Almost half were confirmed mostly down party lines while others were approved with bipartisan support.

There had been speculation that McConnell was intentionally trying to keep vulnerable Democratic senators off the campaign trail this fall.

Sen. Jon Tester, D-Mont., who is up for reelection this fall in a state where Trump is popular, was asked if McConnell was deliberately trying to tether vulnerable Democrats to Washington. Tester laughed and replied, “I know you guys are smart enough to figure that out.”

Posts: 12738 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Fuck both of these vile witches!! Keep giving these assholes the finger Mr. President!!

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
phrasing

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
"Jib Jab"

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3150091844

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not a true Jib Jab. Wink

But I digress. Yeah, make them bitches' heads explode. Love it.

Q

Posts: 26479 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The Ninth Circuit doesn’t represent California, it only seems like it. I don’t care where the nominees are from the Nutty Ninth is the court of federal appeals for nine western states. The Trump Administration tried to work with the two of them, and they gave the back of their hand. Deal with it

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Grassley already changed the Blue Slip tradition to advisory rather than mandatory as a result of previous Dem shenanigans. Not sure what the complaint is.

Plus it sounds like the administration tried in good faith to work with the senators but got nowhere.

Lastly, it sounds like her beef is with Schumer. He's the one who agreed to let these nominees through to preserve the senate recess for campaigning (or were these judges not part of that deal??).

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Sitting presidents select judges for appointment, not senators. That 'Blue Slip' BS is ridiculous. Just move forward and get it done.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Oh, my! Actions have consequences!

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
Fuck both of these vile witches!! Keep giving these assholes the finger Mr. President!!

Just looking at them, you should probably wear an industrial strength condom and a rubber glove.

BTW, great move by the President. Those two fascists are reaping what they have sown.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should each send a box of Kleenex to the two cry babies!

Waaaaaaaaah!

To each action there is a consequence.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
Oh, my! Actions have consequences!
...and so do elections! Big Grin

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think Sen. Feinstein shattered the World Hypocrisy Record with this one:

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I think Sen. Feinstein shattered the World Hypocrisy Record with this one:

You must have missed President Trumps tweet.
"Fuck ya!"

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Sitting presidents select judges for appointment, not senators. That 'Blue Slip' BS is ridiculous. Just move forward and get it done.

For decades, it has been the senior Senator of the President’s party who controlled patronage in the State, postmasters, Marshalls, port managers, collectors of tariffs, etc. The President took recommendations from that Senator and nominated those people. “Jobs for the boys!” The President usually had a big shot supporter in states where both Senators were the other party to reward with patronage suggestions.

Blue slips were a courtesy to Senators, to avoid confirming a particularly obnoxious opponent in their state. In recent times, the God Damned Commies have abused the courtesy by trying to insist on their own candidates, and refusing blue slips to all others. Oregon Senators have been particularly egregious in this respect.

It looks like DiFi has been stripped of influence, let alone power, she might otherwise have enjoyed.

The Old Rancher often taught that life was hard when you are an asshole.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Given the last couple of weeks, that's just rich, dripping of massive quantities of irony

Posts: 14689 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Lastly, it sounds like her beef is with Schumer. He's the one who agreed to let these nominees through to preserve the senate recess for campaigning (or were these judges not part of that deal??).
I believe these are new nominations, and not part of that deal.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
“the White House continues to try to pack the courts with partisan judges who will blindly support the president’s agenda, instead of acting as an independent check on this administration,”

The President wants nominees who think like he does?

I'm shocked - shocked.

Seriously, does she really think the President is going to pick anyone she will find acceptable? Of course she doesn't, but she'll try to milk it for any benefit she can find.

If they hadn't started withholding the blue slips for candidates in general, and reserved that for the true wing-nuts, they might not have lost even that bit on influence on the process. You make your bed and you lie in it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
[
The President wants nominees who think like he does?

I'm shocked - shocked.

One of the greatest movies, and best scenes, of all time. Well done, sir.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post