SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody familiar with crawfish? Unusual sighting.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody familiar with crawfish? Unusual sighting. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
First, I don't recall EVER seeing a crawfish here in Maine. I don't doubt we have them, just never spotted one.

Second, this one was on my sidewalk in front of the house, a minimum of a couple hundred yards from any significant water source.

Do they venture that far from water normally?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15174 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Further than I’ve ever spotted one. Maybe a bird dropped it.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5679 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Most of the ones I've seen are just coming out of the water..

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
They have been introduced to your state and are invasive

https://lakestewardsofmaine.or...Maine-Ecosystems.pdf

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baby Lobster?

I don't see why they wouldn't be in Maine, especially if you're close to fresh water.

See if he's got friends, and like HRK posted... Nice cold beer, some corn on the cob... One hell-of-a-way to spend an afternoon!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

I read that article as well and thought the same thing. Further reading from other articles indicates those particular species have been introduced, but Maine has native species of crayfish as well.

Posts: 10791 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

I read that article as well and thought the same thing. Further reading from other articles indicates those particular species have been introduced, but Maine has native species of crayfish as well.

The original article also notes, buried in text towards the end, that one of the problems with the two non-native species was their impact on the native species.
quote:
O. rusticus is an aggressive species, and is known to displace native crayfish in two ways: through crayfish-to-crayfish competition and by causing increased fish predation on native species. (Rusty crayfish, for example, force native species from the best daytime hiding places.)

So, some crayfish in ME are native, others invasive.

I agree with the guess above that something probably moved it - 200 yards is pretty far from water for a crayfish.

Posts: 14995 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
She never brought a crawfish but our cat has left a wide assortment of dead things on our doorstep...

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I have found them in my backyard before…about 50 yards from a creek…but 200 seems like a stretch. Any recent flooding? My guess is that a bird most likely dropped it.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I used to find them all the time growing up in mid MI, 1/4 mile from a water source, they would build these mud towers

Posts: 5290 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Here in PA they are called Crayfish and you can find them in many streams and creeks and lakes. I used to love hunting them when I was a kid in local creeks. They never got really big like your typical edible Crawfish, maybe 3-4 inches.

Posts: 33567 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
They can exist where the water table is close to the surface. They just dig a tunnel straight down to it. They build what we use to call “chimneys” with the mud they removed in digging. Those “chimneys” can be 6-8” tall as I remember.
If you start seeing chimneys in your yard, you’ve got crawdads in your hood. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I used to find them all the time growing up in mid MI, 1/4 mile from a water source, they would build these mud towers

I have an easement/ drainage ditch between my house and my neighbor,

we have several of those towers that are built between grass cuttings,

I had one in the middle of my yard this spring when we had a very wet period and that area stayed soaked,
found the 'dad a few weeks later on the grass, dried up,
guess he built in an area that dried up too fast for him to live

FWIW, that easement drains into a small spring fed 'wetland' that is basically a creek or stream maybe a foot wide in spots, and dry in the summer,
long ways from were it feeds (as in maybe a mile) into a bigger creek

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I do have a drainage ditch beside the house and we have had a LOT of rain this year, so that's probably it.

That ditch is normally dry or has just a trickle of water running through it except during a rain and a day or two after. Didn't really think it was suitable habitat for them.

I remember the "chimneys" from when I was a kid in Michigan. None here that I've spotted yet.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15174 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
They love rainwater drainage ditches.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
They are just fresh water midget lobsters...

number of years ago I was walking my dog the day after a heavy rain.... up the street behind some stores is a big mud puddle probably 30ft round and 4" deep in the middle... dog rushes over and jumps in the middle after something... comes out with a nice size bream.... 1/4 mile from any pond. Best guess... hawk dropped it...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

I have them in my yard and I see Crawfish all the time. But I do live in Louisiana. Big Grin

Posts: 13011 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Paul, I used to catch crayfish a a kid in the Mexico/Rumford area (late 80s).

Only seen then in the water, but I do know they can travel a bit.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could go with 2-3 lbs. boiled in Crab Boil with potatoes and corn on the cob. Of course, a pitcher of good beer is also required!!

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safety tip: They will pinch the shit out of your toesies if you wade barefoot in the crick.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post