SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apparently, I am Crotchety now.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apparently, I am Crotchety now. Login/Join 
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted
I turned 60 yesterday on the 29th.

Not sure I am all too happy about this one.

My head says one thing, but my carcass says another.

There is only 3 people older than me in my family tree, as I am the oldest of my generation.

The damn thing is, I am really starting to look the part.

We have two large paintings of myself and my wife hanging over our bed. They were done by a friend for her Oils Art class. You would not recognize that ether one of the people in the painting is either one of us. There is that much difference. Now, they are just bad paintings of someones ancestors.

Sigh, hell of a lot more behind me than before me now.

Must make the best of it.

More MG car drives.

Get a radar detector for the 2019 Mx-5 RF.

Force myself to get on the ground with my Grandkids.

Enjoy the wife of my youth.

Really appreciate my riding lawnmower, now that I have one.

Play my Pink Floyd albums louder...

Find a lot of satisfaction in that the job I have now, is mine for as long as I want it, and that the people I work with want me there.

There is a lot to complain about if I make the effort, but there is a lot more to be thankful for.

Thank God!

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Wait until you have 2 more decades under your belt. It doesn't get better.

BTW, Happy Belated Birthday!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Every day you’re on this side of the grass is a good day.

Posts: 18081 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pants are brutally honest:
At age 30, 32 waist and 36 inseam.
Now, 44 waist and 34 inseam.
I am able to find them most days!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, 44 waist and 34 inseam.

IWB carry adds a couple of inches. Smile

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I just did the seven-oh last week. At least I don't have flat feet.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
68 now, like my dad loved to say “gettin old ain’t for sissies”at 50 I had no health problems, now I have arthritis (rheumatoid and Ostia) kidney failure, and now my arthritis is attacking the lining of my eye balls and causing erosion that I have to take steroids to keep in check. My mind is fine, body not so much.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I can identify with a a lot of these statements too.

On my day off Friday I plan on servicing my lawn tractor and polishing out some scuffs on the hood. Need to wash the bike, one of the porters at work offered to do that, think I'll take him up on that.

On the older relatives, on my mother's side I'm the oldest at 67, on my dad's side I'm the 4th.

Work part time now doing something that I enjoy.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8114 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SuhlShooter:
I turned 60 yesterday on the 29th.

Force myself to get on the ground with my Grandkids.

Thank God!

Getting down is easy, it's getting back up that is the problem.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4137 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I try to stay young in my head, and not be too closed-minded, appreciate new things, and so on.

My knees hurt, and I take blood pressure pills, but I am trying not to be old.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Best treatment for old age - new sports car and a young girlfriend Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got labeled as the "mean guy" lately from family and friends.
The past few years have changed me and I'm to the point of indifference anymore.
I know at age 51 I'm not that old but it's starting to show up more.
Knees are bad and they occasionally swell up and make my day tough. Left shoulder aches most of the time. Aleve and Advil help but not totally.
I'm pretty sure these are the reasons I'm "mean" most of the time.
To the OP, happy belated birthday.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Best treatment for old age - new sports car and a young girlfriend Big Grin

Sports car: Check! And my wife is young enough Smile

Bruce

PS: Congratulations on another successful trip around the sun!

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club. Now get off my lawn.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What took you so long? A late bloomer?
Ive been cranky and crotchety for years now, and im 54.

Posts: 1041 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
My wife says I am one at 45.....she's scared of what I will be like at 60.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife says I developed "mentalpause" in my old age!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4276 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Old age is defined as the time when your broad mind and your narrow waist change places.

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Being crotchety comes with age.

The real work is becoming a curmudgeon.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31427 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My parents, my "baby" sister, and all my aunts and uncles are dead now. Of my original 38 first cousins who survived infancy, only 17 are still living. I am the oldest surviving of my Dad's side of the family, and #2 on my Mom's side. At age 81, I think I have a right to be "crotchety". (And I'm definitely working on "curmudgeon". )

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post