SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to repair a blacktop driveway
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to repair a blacktop driveway Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted
To make a long story short: a contractor (accidentally?) sawed into our business’s paved blacktop driveway. Two parallel grooves about 18 inches apart; the grooves themselves probably 2 to 4 inches deep…I did not look closely…I was too incensed.

So, what is the best way to have this repaired? Needless to say, we are going to hold said contractor responsible.

Keep in mind, we are in northern Minnesota. Should the grooves be filled in? If so, with what? Should the pavement be torn up and relaid?

What is reasonable and fair to make us whole again?

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't accept crack-filling as a repair.

Instead, I'd make them remove the 18" wide section (they likely sawed all the way through your driveway) and hire a reputable contractor to lay a new 18" wide section.

They need to do this ASAP before the asphalt plants shutdown for winter.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23299 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
How wide are the grooves? Smooth edged? If you otherwise like the contractor, I'd not get too excited. Asphalt and hot tar, or cement and hot tar, should seal it.

I've patched larger areas of asphalt by cutting an inward-slanting edge so the bottom area filled is larger than the top. Then pounding in asphalt fresh from the bag. It holds up well. Hot tar and sand over top if in doubt.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post