SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for our watch afficianadoes
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for our watch afficianadoes Login/Join 
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
My solar powered Casio PRG-270. It's proven itself with me even in difficult situations at high altitude. I might need to do more than tell time. Sorry, don't know how to make that smaller-help?

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
From what I own now, it would be the Casio Oceanus. It's atomic, titanium and solar.

No holds barred... probably a Rolex Explorer or Sea Dweller.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
That one's easy. My Rolex Explorer II, 2004 vintage. It's probably the toughest watch I've ever had, and has the ability to either keep track of 2 different time zones or 24 hour time.

Without limitations, I'd probably choose that same watch (same case size, which has been discontinued), but with the more modern bracelet of the newer Rolexes.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently own- Marathon GSAR. Only thing that I'd do is a quick change for the stainless steel bracelet and toss on a NATO strap.

Price is no object- Omega Moonwatch Professional. Sapphire crystal, Automatic, post-1989 (I believe that year is correct) because those are water resistant to 50M.

Realistically- probably a GShock solar. I wore one overseas, and that SOB took a royal (actually a Muslim) asskicking. I'm slightly upset that I gave it away.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
If I didn't have to send my GSAR back for repair a few months back I would have elected to take that. Since it has proven itself not as tough as advertised I would take my Doxa Sub 200 instead. Fantasy watch would be an Omega Planet Ocean or Sinn U1.

If you don't mind me asking- what went wrong with it?

I've beaten mine up pretty good, the only thing that screwed up on it so far was my fault- I stripped the screw down crown.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tudor Pelagos

Rolex Submariner

I'm a deplorable.

Posts: 671 | Location: Fargo ND | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy. My G Shock with solar and atomic time keeping. All these guys bringing their expensive automatics will be losing time continually. Even if you don't get the atomic signal the G Shock keeps better time than any auto.

Those watches are great. I love my Hamilton auto but if I couldn't keep resetting the time I would be way off in a pretty short amount of time.

G Shock (solar/atomic) for the win easily.

As for failing electronics, everything in a G Shock watch is pretty foolproof. Not a lot of tales of them just dying on you.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've had several of the watches mentioned here. Sinns are awesome watches, but like all things German, they only run right with maintenance. Most of them have a proprietary technology to show when there's too much moisture in them - a copper sulfate capsule that eventually turns from white to blue, and filled with argon. Even living in AZ, my Sinn 757UTC eventually had to go in for service when the capsule turned blue. So, as Para mentions a humid environment, Sinn would be great for a while, until it was no longer great.

Breitling ChronoAvenger? I'm wearing one now, had it 15 yrs and it's been overhauled twice. Once was my fault for dropping it on the kitchen tile floor. But the second time it wore out. And two of the super expensive titanium bracelets I've had on it have come apart while moving my arm, once at the gym, once over a hot stove.

I've had two Rolex Explorer IIs, but not long enough to need any work. They ran flawlessly. Ditto for my Deep Sea James Cameron. But that watch is so heavy, I have to wonder about the longevity of the bracelet. Rolexes tend to have bracelet pins back out after a while, so blue Loctite is a must.

Anyway, I think I'd stick with an Explorer II - light, reliable and can be sold for a lot of cash in a pinch.

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My Marathon Jumbo Day Date.

Only thing it can’t do is fit under a dress shirt sleeve.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
From my own collection: G-Shock Tough Solar Atomic. It is probably the most rugged watch within reasonable price point. I have 4 different versions of it.

No limits: I think probably G-shock still. I think even the most rugged automatic watch would need service inside 10 years given your parameter of the environment.

This is the way. I love my mechanical watches, but for sheer durability/reliability without access to a watchmaker for service, this is it.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
G shock solar. Almost indestructible and very reliable. Given the scenario described. I might buy a backup to take beacause they are cheap.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Jumping in here WRT the Marathon GSAR, I’ve had 2 issues with mine. I was issued this watch while in the CG reserves and wore it daily as a reservist. I used it for the range and blew the whistle when it passed a certain mark as a firearms instructor. And I wore it in my daily life and my regular job as a street cop. Fighting the good fight as it was.

Problem 1. The little triangle at the top of the bezel lost its paint. Probably four or five years in…I put some white model paint in it and it’s fine.

Problem 2. The pin for the strap broke one day at work, probably for wearing it for years on end (I had a stainless strap) and technically it was during a fight…so it’s probably not the pin’s fault.

But that’s the only problems I’ve had with it. Great watch. Couldn’t complain. But I know they should go in for maintenance and that’s why I didn’t select it for my choices.
I chose the Citizen Garrison solar powered and the Rolex Submariner

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
From what I own now, it would be the Casio Oceanus. It's atomic, titanium and solar.

I wish I hadn't seen this. Add another item to the I-didn't-know-I-needed-it list.

Posts: 4983 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift.

I've had a couple of solar G-shocks for years but never knew there were quick chargers available for them (and other solar watches) -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...le_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 4983 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Okay, I've got to say it even though it is a fun question and there are very good answers...

from the original question from Para... I can't for the life of me see why I would need a watch in that environment for 10 years...

But I am happy with my Oriental self winding I got from a fellow member here...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I can't for the life of me see why I would need a watch in that environment for 10 years...
A fucking visionary like you?

Keep grinding on it, Oppenheimer.

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would wear my Rolex sea dweller 4K. I have worn it for 8 years daily. Middle East, Afghanistan shooting, fishing, working on cars, construction and in the OR. It is a tool watch and takes a beating.

Posts: 1746 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I’m another for Casio G-Shock or Pro Trek watches. Solar powered, atomic time updates, and the Pro Trek has a compass in addition to other sensors. I’m not sure if there is a solar or self-powered ONLY watch out there with GPS, but that would be a plus.

To add, I used to drool over and strongly desire pony and muscle cars from the ‘60s and ‘70s back in the day, but that changed many years ago. They still catch my eye and interest me, but I have lost the desire to ever own any of them. That is how I am with watches now. I thought I was going to die if I didn’t get my Omega moon watch, a James Bond watch, or some other cool mechanical watch with all of the visible movements and all of the neato functions accessed by side buttons, etc. Due to a pinched nerve, I’ve lost feeling in my left wrist where it doesn’t feel good now to wear a watch. I only wear one now for work or when I go out and about. The watch comes off at home. The Hamilton, Breitling, Rolex, Omega, etc surely catch my eye, but I have no desire to obtain any even now I am able. I will settle with my passed down Longines, my TAG Heuer, and my Casios.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Problem 1. The little triangle at the top of the bezel lost its paint. Probably four or five years in…I put some white model paint in it and it’s fine.

Problem 2. The pin for the strap broke one day at work, probably for wearing it for years on end (I had a stainless strap) and technically it was during a fight…so it’s probably not the pin’s fault.

Can't help problem #1, but Problem #2-

https://countycomm.com/collect...bars-for-sar-watches

I swear by them!

Oh wait... maybe Problem #1 CAN be fixed....

https://countycomm.com/collect...zels-for-sar-watches

(You can hate me later for turning you on to that site Wink )

Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Don't know what Para's going to decide, but all you Casio pushers cost me $120.00 today.

I started poking around, after reading this thread, and I ended up ordering a GWM5610U-1 from Amazon. I poked around the internet quite a while, and the only complaint I could find was a couple guys that liked the back light on the pre U model better than the LED light on the updated model. It just seemed like a lot of watch for the money. Should be here Saturday, and I'm looking forward to it. I own a couple nice, but inexpensive, Seikos that I wear every now and then, but I wanted something I could wear all the time. I wore a watch for 45 years, and now I'm retired so I really don't need it, but getting my phone out just to see what time it is gets kind of old.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post