SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it realistic to consider selling our property and renting it back while building new?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it realistic to consider selling our property and renting it back while building new? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
We put the place on the market a couple of years ago and didn't get any bites. Not sure why.

The market is hotter than a pistol right now, but one of the reasons we didn't feel too bad about not selling last time was the hassle of temporary storage/accommodations while building, plus daughter's 7 acre lot wasn't eligible to be subdivided yet. That restriction will expire in August.

So we're mulling over the possibilities again.

Pluses: This house is 100+ years old, not energy efficient and 20 miles from anywhere. The new house would be cheaper to heat/cool, easier to clean, require less maintenance and be less than 10 minutes from shopping, medical facilities and emergency services. I'm 70, she'll be 78 in August so that's a big plus. And I'd get a new shop!

Really the only minus is the hassle. We'd only "own" one acre but have the run of all 7 which is more land than I have now.

The ONLY way I'd entertain going forward is if we met two criteria: Net $250K after all fees/expenses, and be able to rent it back until the new place is ready to move into, then move everything ONCE.

We'll probably go as far as having the place re-appraised and check the feasibility of the idea.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Mind if I ask what part of Maine you're in?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1490 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:

The cold part. Smile

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a lenders point of view I’m gonna say is your buyer buying as a primary or a rental ? If he’s buying it as a primary residence and anywhere in the contract it says your renting back for more than 30-60 days his lender may have issues. Most loan documents are boilerplate and for a primary res you typically assert that it will be owned occupied within 60 days. Moving 2x sucks

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i personally would have some concerns (mine, not yours) about the overall proposal. But you guys are at the age of do it or forget it.

What you are proposing seems doable. Pending the buyer's intentions.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19233 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
You think the market will change that much between now and August? Wait to sell?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38720 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Beware of the buyer raising the issue that you did something wrong to the place between selling it and the end of the rental period. Not that you will have, but it's a free second shot if the buyer misses something that the buyer could've used to negotiate a lower price during the sale. With a 100+ year old house, that's entirely possible. Even something like ordinary wear and tear - an absolute non-issue in a rental - could wind up coming back to bite you when you're ready to give up the lease.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:

On the coast, East of Bar Harbor. 20 minutes by boat, an hour or so by road up the East side of Frenchman Bay and back down the West side. I can see Mount Desert from the house.

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
You think the market will change that much between now and August? Wait to sell?

Oh, for sure. Just in the "wonder if it's a good idea" phase.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Beware of the buyer raising the issue that you did something wrong to the place between selling it and the end of the rental period. Not that you will have, but it's a free second shot if the buyer misses something that the buyer could've used to negotiate a lower price during the sale. With a 100+ year old house, that's entirely possible. Even something like ordinary wear and tear - an absolute non-issue in a rental - could wind up coming back to bite you when you're ready to give up the lease.

Excellent point. We'd have to come up with some sort of codicil (if that's the right word) to cover that.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
<snip> Moving 2x sucks

So much so, in fact, that it'd be a deal breaker.

posted Hide Post
You get what you negotiate in my experience. And in this market you are in the drivers seat. I've seen much crazier ideas. I would do my best to separate the two transactions i.e have a rental agreement that is conditioned on the sale. But in the end it won't make too much difference to the risks.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11015 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Sure.

Negotiated lease backs are a thing. At least here in California.

Here, in California, it's not even two separate transactions. There are pre written forms for it, so that the lease back is contingent on escrow closing, and rental deposit and rent can be paid out of the escrow proceeds.

Disclose it in the listing. Some people are turned off by the idea of being a landlord for 4-6 months. Others would jump at the idea of buying something now at low interest rates, and waiting to move in a few months when their own situation sorts itself out. For example, in the before times, people would happily lease back until the summer so they wouldn't have to pull their kid out of school in the middle of the year.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I personally know a guy and his wife who did just this.

They sold their house in San Diego then rented it from the buyer for six months while the new homestead was being being built in Colorado. His new position with our company only required him to be I Colorado the first week of each month (company really worked with him on that).

So, for the monthly rent equal to the new owner's mortgage, escrow and $100, friend and wife lived in the house and he made monthly trips to check on the build (he did stay two weeks at one stage though). It was a win win for both parties.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
daughter's 7 acre lot wasn't eligible to be subdivided yet. That restriction will expire in August.

Have you thought about having your daughter build the house as a 'mother in law' on that area, to your spec, while it's still her property?

You'd need to work out the financial arrangements, but that might make it possible to get things started before the restriction is removed.

Posts: 15036 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
There will need to be some sort of incentive for the buyers. Price below value or a tasty rent back rate.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2249 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We did a back lease on our former house, but only for 2 months.
Buyer wanted a quick close & the seller of our current house couldn't be ready in time.
Our agent was a bulldog & got the back lease at the same rate as the mortgage we were already paying. Buyer wanted a pet deposit & she got that nixed too, as the dog had lived there 6 years already.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15373 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Open a home equity line of credit on the existing home. Use the funds to pay for the new construction on a specified draw schedule per the new builder contract. You will only be paying payments on the portion of the funds that have been used, so your “rent” will be very cheap at first then slowly go up as you take more funds out as the build progresses. When you are 60 days out from completion put your current home on the market. When it sells, use the proceeds to pay off the equity loan and pocket your remaining equity. No moving twice and unlike rent payments, the interest on the home equity line is tax deductible.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Open a home equity line of credit on the existing home. Use the funds to pay for the new construction on a specified draw schedule per the new builder contract. You will only be paying payments on the portion of the funds that have been used, so your “rent” will be very cheap at first then slowly go up as you take more funds out as the build progresses. When you are 60 days out from completion put your current home on the market. When it sells, use the proceeds to pay off the equity loan and pocket your remaining equity. No moving twice and unlike rent payments, the interest on the home equity line is tax deductible.

And if the house doesn't sell pretty much immediately, I'm well and truly screwed.

Two things to keep in mind here:

1. I live on <$4000 per month. A $1000 per month rent/mortgage payment is a non-starter.

2. I'm EXTREMELY risk-averse.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
My fiancé is a realtor and does a lot of new construction. Your scenario is common these days. Market is so hot in Massachusetts that buyers have given 60 occupancy for the sellers after closing as part of the negotiations. The sellers marketed their houses stating they wanted that in the offer. As mentioned above, the lender usually requires occupancy in 60 days or less so that can be an issue. My fiancé’s builder finishes homes faster than that so it is t an issue. But that’s not super common for new house builds.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post