SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My 65th birthday water ski run
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 65th birthday water ski run Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
Most mornings I drive for 2 or 3 younger gals who train for and compete in a show skiing discipline called swivel skiing. I am an accomplished ski boat driver with 60 years of boating experience. The girls really appreciate my driving and tell me I enhance their development and make it more fun. I ski every now and then. I used to compete in traditional 3 event skiing and the gals would like me to ski more.

I often ski on trick ski, jump skis, competition slalom, and barefoot ski on my birthday. On my 60th birthday, I skied on 30 different things and that effort took 4 hours.

Yesterday I did 6 skiing disciplines: slalom, jump skis, trick ski, backwards slalom, barefoot, and skied on a canoe paddle. Afterward the girls cracked out mimosas, and a gift bag with nice cards, and some cash toward a new slalom.

They honored me by making it my morning to ski, made all the more meaningful since my mother passed at 90 the day before. My son came in for my birthday also, and we went for an 18 mile bike ride on fixed gear bikes. Then Mexican food and Margaritas for lunch. I'm still pinching myself. What a great day!

Posts: 7461 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Appears Jerry Miculik is my age and does a birthday celebration demostration: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7330019064

Posts: 7461 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool! I applaud you for being able to do all that at 65!!

I was an avid skier in my yute in High School and early college. Best friend had a boat and my brother had a nice jet boat that could pull an entire team if he wanted. Went to NLU, where they won the NCAA Championship for years running. Wasn’t on the team and didn’t even bother trying out...I was NOWHERE near that good, but those guys and gals stayed hammered ALL the time!! Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
What, no video? Jerry had a video! Wink

Happy 65th Birthday! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8922 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic ! Congratulations fine Sir !!

I remember seeing in the old "Waterski" magazines I used to get "Banana George" barefooting in his 80's in the yellow wetsuit.

MDS

Posts: 380 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I bought a used Direct Drive ski boat (Moomba) 1 year ago this week. Tried to teach my 2 young boys to wakeboard this year. Only the 8 YO was really interested, and he was able to get up several time. The 7YO prefers to tube...oh well, maybe next year.

I was able to get my 46 YO butt out of the water several times and land several wake to wake jumps. Not too shabby after not been wakeboarding in 15+ years.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harleysbluff:
Fantastic ! Congratulations fine Sir !!

I remember seeing in the old "Waterski" magazines I used to get "Banana George" barefooting in his 80's in the yellow wetsuit.

MDS

I met and got a banana from Banana George and have a picture of him with my wife. Once he was asked his preference for barefoot ski line. He said: "Yellow"

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Pretty cool! I applaud you for being able to do all that at 65!!

I was an avid skier in my yute in High School and early college. Best friend had a boat and my brother had a nice jet boat that could pull an entire team if he wanted. Went to NLU, where they won the NCAA Championship for years running. Wasn’t on the team and didn’t even bother trying out...I was NOWHERE near that good, but those guys and gals stayed hammered ALL the time!! Big Grin Big Grin

When I get a do over in my next life, I'll ski on a collegiate ski team. That and date Asian girls. My son skied on a collegiate ski team.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Then he “knows”... Wink

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^
Then he “knows”... Wink

I asked him why he didn't stick with skiing on the water ski team, and he said they partied too much and it was difficult to practice. They had to drive 90 miles to practice. I was afraid he was going to say he couldn't afford it, since he was on a tight budget, but that wasn't it.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Sir.
I still hope to see the video and or pictures!
I still ski at least once a year myself but certainly not competition level.
Keep it up!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
very cool. congrats!

Posts: 11392 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You sir are a stud! Well done and happy birthday

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post