SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Air compressor for my shop
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air compressor for my shop Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
My old craftsman oil-less air compressor finally quit last weekend. Noisy little bastard, but it served its purpose for 20+ years. I don’t remember all of its details, but it is upright and has about a 20-25 gallon tank, rated at 125 psi. I don’t recall the CFM.
I’d like to replace it with something similar, maybe a bit bigger. Definitely something quieter.
I could stand a grand for a really good deal, but would prefer in the $650-$800 range.
I run a 1/2” air impact from time to time. Air up tires, run a blower, and have a few other air tools. I don’t seat truck or tractor tire beads with it. I have a small pancake compressor for nailers and whatnot inside the house.
What say ye, oh great and experienced SIGForum brain trust?

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Find a used cast-iron two-stage oily from a local garage or such. The oil-required compressors are much quieter than the oil less.

Check the tank closely, these have a tendency to rust out from the inside due to water not being drained regularly, and, of course, the high partial pressure of oxygen. In a perfect world you'd be able to swap the compressor unit onto your (presumably good) tank, but....

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
It will get crap but HF has many options in air compressors from oil to non-oil, different capacity, and different levels. They have several 20-30 gallon models.

Link

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have a California Air Tools 2-stage vertical with a 10-gallon tank. They make one with a 20 gal tank.

It's 70 dB when running so it's so quiet that I can have a normal conversation when it's running. The decibel scale is logarithmic so an 80 dB compressor (e.g. Dad's 21-gallon McGraw from HF) is 10x more sound pressure than mine.

The downside is the price. I got lucky as Home Depot had Christmas in July a few years back and got it for half off.

HF has two similar in their Fortress (best in the good-better-best system). One is 26 gal, 4.5 SCFM and 69 dB, but the other is 27 gal, 5.1 SCFM and 78 dB.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
You can rebuild your oil-less compressor for about $20 if its the piston that craped out on the compressor.
I picked up one local that a man wanted to get rid cause it wouldn't build pressure. It was a leak in the regulator. Used it for a few years until it crapped out. Had no idea that they were that cheap to buy rebuild parts for.

This is the parts kit mine needed to make it right again. Very easy to install.
Cylinman K-0650 Compression Ring Kit fit for Craftsman DeVilbiss Porter Cable Air Compressor Cylinder https://a.co/d/gUyGEDU

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My air compressor upgrade story: Fun With Air Tools

Product page for the air compressor: Rolair VT25BIG

On-line prices appear to be $514.

It's not oil-less, though. OTOH: Made in America Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Spec says 86 dB. Is it really that loud?

For reference, lawnmowers are 80 to 85 dB.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
HF has one on sale, coupon at link $349

Buy the FORTRESS 26 Gallon 175 PSI Ultra Quiet Vertical Shop/Auto Air Compressor (Item 57336) for $349.99 with coupon code 20109198, valid through March 24, 2024. See the coupon for details.

Compare our price of $349.99 to DEWALT at $674.79 (model number: DXCMSAC426). Save $324 by shopping at Harbor Freight.

This FORTRESS® ULTRA QUIET Series Shop/Auto Air Compressor is 80% quieter than similar workshop/auto compressors, with just 69 dBA sound output. The brushless 4-pole induction motor delivers 140% more runtime* while lowering heat and friction for 4X pump life**. This high performance air compressor comes with 8 in. x 2.4 in. flat-free tires, roll bar protected control panel with 2 in. gauges and two brass universal couplers, so it’s ready to go right out of the box.

The FORTRESS 26 Gallon 175 PSI Ultra Quiet Vertical Shop/Auto Air Compressor (Item 57336) has a 4.5-star rating on HarborFreight.com. Save on Harbor Freight’s customer favorites with our super coupons. Search our Harbor Freight coupons for deals on Harbor Freight’s generators, air compressors, power tools, and more.

at link

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Spec says 86 dB. Is it really that loud?

For reference, lawnmowers are 80 to 85 dB.
I guess?

It's the garage. I operate a miter saw, table saw, and all manner of stuff out there. Never gave it any thought.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^^ The reason I asked is the OP stated, "Definitely something quieter."

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I bought a smaller Fortress air compressor for my son who wanted a quiet one to use and he is very happy.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have a 2 gal fortress, it’s quiet. They have an upright 26 gal. Link

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
^^^ The reason I asked is the OP stated, "Definitely something quieter."
Right you are.

I suppose that went right in one ear and out the other, so to say, as my goal in selecting an air compressor was to identify what I felt to be the best damn air compressor for my money and operating noise was not a major selection criterion for me.

My bad.

posted Hide Post
My guess from your description, is that you had ~5cfm at 90psi. Plenty for what your described usage.

Oiled compressors are much quieter than oiless.

I have a 25 yo oiled campbell hausfield 1.5 hp 20 gallon, still running strong.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:

I have a 25 yo oiled campbell hausfield 1.5 hp 20 gallon, still running strong.

I dunno about quieter? I have a 1.5hp 3 gallon, oil free Makita and it's only 60 db.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
So they say, yet my Rolair's published specs suggest it's noisier than the published specs for the oil-less ones others are posting about.

I didn't run them side-by-side. As I said: Didn't really take noise into consideration. But ISTR thinking the new compressor was quieter than the Craftsman oil-less compressor it replaced. ICBW ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
This FORTRESS® ULTRA QUIET Series Shop/Auto Air Compressor is 80% quieter than similar workshop/auto compressors, with just 69 dBA sound output.

The Fortress Ultra Quiet seems to fit the bill.

So Hudr, did you make a decision?

"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
This FORTRESS® ULTRA QUIET Series Shop/Auto Air Compressor is 80% quieter than similar workshop/auto compressors, with just 69 dBA sound output.

The Fortress Ultra Quiet seems to fit the bill.

So Hudr, did you make a decision?

I haven’t made a decision yet. The Fortress seems to be close to the top suggestion here.
I have a little pancake compressor for the light work I have right now. My local Tractor Supply has some compressors they say are “comparable” to the Fortress as far as noise. Noise level is a fairly common spec, but not universal amongst compressor manufacturers.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have the largest (27 GAL) Fortress and it was a good choice.
I got it because my 35 yr old Craftsman Pancake couldn't keep up with everything, but it still works great overall. Smile
The Fortress is relatively quiet and now I can use it with my sand blasting prep for firearms, and other air intensive project.
Worth it, IMO.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I have the largest (27 GAL) Fortress and it was a good choice.
I got it because my 35 yr old Craftsman Pancake couldn't keep up with everything, but it still works great overall. Smile
The Fortress is relatively quiet and now I can use it with my sand blasting prep for firearms, and other air intensive project.
Worth it, IMO.

$400 for the: FORTRESS 26 Gallon 175 PSI Ultra Quiet Vertical Shop/Auto Air Compressor
Not a bad deal & I've been wanting something bigger than the little pancake I've been using for years.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post