SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you have an increasing homelessness population where you live?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have an increasing homelessness population where you live? Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
The last 18 months are so, I've seen a huge increase of homelessness where I live, Fountain Valley - a sleepy suburb of Orange County. Have you seen increase where you live?

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not a wino in sight around here

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
While we have had an increase locally we don't really see it. It is not a hugh increase and it is mostly located downtown.

I think many of the serious homeless here migrate south to the Miami-dade area. They give out more free shit down there then we do.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3903 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We've seen a few more of the street corner cons working people for money, most stay downtown for the benefits from the big city.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not allowed here.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
None in my area, but there are a lot in downtown Houston around the baseball park.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Perhaps they can form a team

My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
At our local Sam's Club, there are at least 15 dilapidated RVs parked. I feel bad for the truly homeless that are really trying to get their lives in order.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iowa city is sanctuary city , so they are pretty much all over the place

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Yes, most definitely there has been an increase in the homeless population here...and it has had a negative impact locally.

Although it has always been present it wouldn't surprise me if the recent recession was a contributing factor. The expansion of various programs like Medicaid and food stamps likely contributes to it as well. However there was a noticeable spike in the local homeless population shortly after marijuana was legalized. I've read local articles that relayed the stories of those who moved here with no job, but either hoped to get a job in the marijuana industry or simply sign up for entitlement programs while partaking in the Mary Jane.

Examples of the homeless populations negative impact locally:

- Widespread panhandling at major intersections, and parking lots. It has gotten to the point where you recognize the same panhandlers working the same places with the same signs. In some cases they appear to be organized, and "work" an area in shifts.

- City-owned parking garages are frequently used by the homeless to do drugs, have sex, vomit, defecate/ urinate, and sleep/ pass-out...on a daily basis.

- Homeless tent cities cropping up in undeveloped wild areas along stream banks and under bridges and overpasses and near parks. A lot of trash and human waste accumulates in these tent cities, not to mention the eye-sore.

- Several of the Homeless tent cities have camp fires which have gotten out of control and burned acres and in a couple cases threatened homes or private property.

The city council passed some measures to reduce where the homeless could panhandle. However in trying to enforce these laws another city was sued by the ACLU and our city was threatened with an ACLU lawsuit if the laws were enforced. So the city council is walking the tight rope of trying to manage the homeless situation while not getting sued.

All in a city with a population of @ 500,000 +/-

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Up until a year ago it was pretty bad here. Lots sleeping in the parks. Lots of con artists on street corners with signs and stuff. I pay no attention to them at all.

I think last year they passed an ordinance that made it unlawful to stand in the median strip at traffic lights looking for hand outs so that has reduced the visibility some. But a few of the parks - closer to the city center are pretty crowded

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
The big city nearest me has a few, but the majority of those are snowbird bums. Temperatures and humidity in the high 90s+, lots of mosquitos, and mainly a blue-collar citizenry make for an inhospitable place.

Posts: 5784 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
They seem to have migrated south or died off during the winter. Not many around here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Perhaps they can form a team

Maybe if the Astros start losing.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The panhandlers are all over at many intersections. It's pathetic. The cops say do NOT give them a thing.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Not only is the population increasing, they've become significantly more conspicuous, due to anti-pandhandling laws in Arkansas being struck down as unconstitutional (violation of free speech) in Federal court a couple years back.

Now every major intersection and busy sidewalk has folks begging (some homeless, many not).

Still nowhere near as bad as the big cities, but much worse than it was a few years back.

Posts: 33108 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
They all have somehow, travelled to WA state.

The city of Seattle are proposing a tax on big businesses - think Amazon - to 'fight' homelessness.

Nope, not to move them on, but to provide assistance. Even a safe place for heroin addicts to shoot up, under the watchful supervisory eye of volunteer medical staff. If your moral compass is wonky, there's a vacant City position available, full time, pays $30-$35 per hour.

And there is millions available, from the City of Seattle, for homeless service contracts.

Seattle homelessness response

They camp under the I-5 flyovers, on the street pavements, in makeshift camps ... the sights, the sounds, the smells, illegal dumping.

I am looking for the stats and the links - I recall one alleged camp in Tacoma numbering some 2000.

The sirens are sounding ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
I live in a rural area nothing anywhere around me that would lure the homeless. So, the answer is not around here

Posts: 1896 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who visits San Francisco several times a year on business. He says it's been very bad for a long time, but after his last trip there, he told me that "there is nowhere you can go to get away from the fuckery."
He says he was on the street in broad daylight when a group of homeless came "out of nowhere" and started yeling at him and threatening to kill him. He was simply walking down the street.

Get out of California, Dave. Get out of there.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Very little presence here. Move here!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5675 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post