SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple is Killing iTunes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple is Killing iTunes Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Dammit. Now I have to learn another program to put music and podcasts onto my iPod.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
To sync, update, add music, etc to your iOS device in Catalina (macOS 10.15) connect your device to to your Mac & it will appear in the side bar.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
If you use iTunes on a windows machine nothing is changing.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
If you use iTunes on a windows machine nothing is changing.

What's the point? If they're killing-off iTunes on iOS, what would you do with it on a MS-Win PC?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

If they're killing-off iTunes on iOS, what would you do with it on a MS-Win PC?
iPhone / iPad backups and iOS updates?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

What am I missing, here?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This and also syncing devices.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

What am I missing, here?

Reading comprehension? Big Grin

There are Luddites, such as myself, who don't store their information to "the cloud" and don't own a Mac, but still want to backup and keep updated 5 iPad's and 1 iPhone. My internet connection is 8Mbps; the fastest I can get.

Posts: 10952 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Never liked any version past 10. I still use it often.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1732 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What am I missing, here?

Reading comprehension? Big Grin

They're killing-off iTunes. One presumes that means the service as well as iOS support. Now one may be able to keep using what they have, assuming one wishes to risk the possible security vulnerabilities that are often attendant with unmaintained software, but, eventually you'll reach the end of the road with an OS update or upgrade.

So... about that reading comprehension...? Wink

Btw: For the Luddites out there: I generally dislike cloud services. But, like Apple Pay: I've read up on how Apple implemented iCloud. I'm confident enough in both their implementations that I'm using them w/o qualms.

Btw2: OTA iThing updates have nothing at all to do with cloud storage.

Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I don't mind iTunes but I don't think I would miss it either, provided that whatever takes its place would be much much better.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Apple isn't killing iTunes on Windows 10
Link
quote:
Rumors of iTunes' demise have been greatly exaggerated.

When Apple announced at WWDC on Monday that iTunes would be dismantled and reshaped as three separate apps, it seemed to be the end to the long-running, oft-maligned program that revolutionized the music industry.

However, it turns out that iTunes will survive and take refuge in an unlikely sanctuary: Windows.

The 18-year old program will reportedly remain unchanged on Windows, according to Ars Technica. That is, it won't follow iTunes on Mac and be dissolved into other apps when macOS Catalina debuts this Fall. Apple even clarified that it currently has no plans to end support for iTunes on Windows.

Unfortunately, we don't know much beyond that. Apple hasn't said whether iTunes on Windows will continue to receive frequent updates, or if it will slowly fizzle out and be replaced with Apple Music, Apple Podcasts and Apple TV --- the three apps that took its place on macOS.

If you were born in the '80s or '90s then iTunes probably played a big part in your life. When it launched in 2013, iTunes became the place where users could legally purchase digital downloads of their favorite music. But iTunes has lost ground in recent years to Apple Music as purchasing individual songs and albums has been replaced by subscription services, where users gain full access to millions of tracks for a monthly fee.

The few remaining fans of iTunes can take solace that the legendary music app lives to see another day. Just try not to be too heart-broken if it disappears altogether in the near future.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Answers to some of your iTunes questions: Old libraries, Windows, and more

quote:
SAN JOSE, Calif.—After much speculation and fanfare in the press, Apple confirmed today that it will sunset iTunes in the next version of macOS and spin its functionality into three new apps—Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, and Apple TV. As we noted earlier, this marks the end of an era of sorts on the Mac—but there were plenty of unanswered questions. What features will Music retain from iTunes? And what happens to Windows users who are dependent on iTunes?

While some details are still fuzzy and will remain that way until we start digging into the beta releases, we got some broad answers from Apple on those top-level questions.

Old iTunes libraries and files

Apple Music in macOS Catalina will import users' existing music libraries from iTunes in their entirety, Apple says. That includes not just music purchased on iTunes, but rips from CDs, MP3s, and the like added from other sources.

Further, the existing feature that synced users' non-iTunes files to the cloud will continue to work, and of course, users will still be able to buy songs from Apple. Apple is not turning Apple Music into a streaming-only experience. For the most part, the end of iTunes seems to be an end in name only: key features will be retained in the Music app.

Syncing iPhones, iPads, and iPods

Apple already explained during the keynote that syncing with and managing your iOS devices from your Mac—which used to be an iTunes task—will now happen within Finder, Apple's file-management application. When you plug your iPhone, iPod, or iPad in, you'll see it in the sidebar for Finder just like you would any external drive or USB stick.

But when you click it, you won't just see a file system like you would with those accessories. Instead, you will be presented with an interface very similar to the one you're used to in iTunes, with many (if not all) of the same features. It's certainly a more natural place for this to happen, given that it more closely resembles the experience you have when you plug other devices into your Mac.

iTunes in Windows

Many people use iTunes to manage their media libraries in Windows—not just music, but videos and podcasts, too. Apple announced today that iTunes will be broken into multiple applications in macOS, but the company didn't specify onstage what will happen to the same program in Windows.

The answer, it turns out, is not much. Apple says users of iTunes under Microsoft Windows will not see any changes. It won't be broken up into several apps; it will work just like it does now. However, Apple did not provide any clarification about what support will be like for future features. The company simply says that Windows users will continue to have the same experience as before and that it is not announcing any plans to end support for iTunes in Windows.

But keep in mind: that only means for now. Apple might one day bring an Apple Music application to Windows just as it has to Android. But just as the iTunes era seems to be ending for the Mac, it will continue for the immediately foreseeable future in Windows—so iTunes is not really dead. At least not yet.

It's the iTunes app/program that is being "killed", not the store(s).

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I guess it's fair to assume that those of us who do not move to the new Mac OS will still be able to sync iOS devices via iTunes.

I intend to stay with El Capitan for just as long as I can. Although the OS upgrades are free, I have third-party software running under El Capitan, that would require paid upgrades for a newer version of the OS -- enough of these to be a significant cost, considering that I have a Mac at the hangar office, as well as a couple at home, and my wife has one at her office.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I've made my own iphone/ipad backups since day 1. I don't like hosted solutions (the cloud) as I don't trust anyone with my data. Now I have to use the cloud? This sucks.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess it's fair to assume that those of us who do not move to the new Mac OS will still be able to sync iOS devices via iTunes.

If you are using a Mac you can backup iDevices using the utility Apple Configurator. It's in the app store. I found it when I was trying to rearrange the screens on my iphone. Seems that ability was removed from itunes at one time.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

quote:
If you are using a Mac you can backup iDevices using the utility Apple Configurator. It's in the app store. I found it when I was trying to rearrange the screens on my iphone. Seems that ability was removed from itunes at one time.
No joy. The only version of Configurator that I can find in the App Store requires OS X 10.14 Mojave.

I am using 10.11 6 El Capitan. Yes, I know that OS X lupgrades are free, but I have too much invested in apps that run under El Capitan. They work just fine, but if I were to move to a newer version of the OS, I would have to buy newer versions of these apps, and that isn't cheap, especially when I am dealing with multiple Macs.

I have searched, googled, etc., trying to locate an older version of Configurator that will work with El Capitan, but have not been able to find one.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

So... about that reading comprehension...? Wink

Snip

Btw2: OTA iThing updates have nothing at all to do with cloud storage.

The first time I was joking, but now I'm not so sure. What V-Tail wrote made sense to me and you asked what you were missing. I fleshed it out because not everyone understands why people would use iTunes for backups and updates.

I didn't say it updates had anything to do with cloud storage, but they are the second function V-Tail mention for iTunes. Did you miss the part where I wrote 8mbps internet connection and 5 iPads and 1 iPhone? With iTunes on my PC, I can download the iOS update for the one iPad and update the other 4 from the same file.

Posts: 10952 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of panic over nothing. iTunes is splitting into three apps. The interface will change a little. It will probably work better. My God, talk about first world problems.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

not everyone understands why people would use iTunes for backups and updates.

I didn't say it updates had anything to do with cloud storage
Re updates and cloud storage: If I use iTunes for updates for iOS iThings, I have the option to make a local backup before installing the update.

What are the options for backup if I do an OTA update? Is cloud storage used for that?

My wife and I have used iPhones since the release of the iPhone 4, we have had the iPhone 5, and are currently using the iPhone 6 Plus. We also have iPads. We have never had a problem with an update done via USB cable, connecting to iTunes. More than once, I have had an OTA update just "freeze." Had to do a hard reset, then plug in to use iTunes to restore the most current backup, then use iTunes for the update. This OTA problem does not occur all the time, but it has happened enough that I make sure I have a local backup in iTunes before even considering an OTA update.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים