SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    trailer wheels / tires
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

trailer wheels / tires Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I have a Malone MicrosportXT trailer with the aluminum wheels (I believe they are 12" 5.3 but would have to confirm). https://maloneautoracks.com/Mi...ngue.html#tab_upsell

Using the 7 year rule, while they have low mileage and have been garaged unless in use, they are almost due for replacement.

I checked the usual tire shops and I can't find any offerings for 12" tires; the lowest is 13" or 14".

I checked the Malone website and it looks like I can only buy the wheel and tire, not tire alone. I think this is what I would need: https://maloneautoracks.com/Si...ire.html#tab_details

Can I just buy something like this (14" wheel and 205/75/14 tire; current tire is 12" 5.3" (not sure what the profile is)? https://www.etrailer.com/Trail...ls/Kenda/KE93JR.html

The thinking is that the replacement cost is about the same this time. But next time, I can just go to the local tire store for a replacement tire and don't need to order new wheel and tire from Malone. Also, the tire size would be readily available in case of emergency (flat tire / puncture). Like this: https://www.tirerack.com/tires...=075NR4END&tab=Sizes

But if I replace the 5.30-12 wheel/tire with a ST205/75/14, is that going to be bad for the trailer? Different height an issue? What about offset - will it fit?

Should I just stick w/ the proprietary Malone 5.3-12? Or is it okay to go w/ the aftermarket 14"?

ETA: The trailer is used to two 2 kayaks. The wheels do go into the water.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
As long as the hole pattern in the wheel is the same so it fits the hubs, you should be fine.

It'll probably ride a bit higher, but the only thing that should affect is needing a different hitch insert to make it ride level.

And really, that's not all that important, depending on what you're hauling.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15472 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Provided it doesn't rub the fenders, I see no harm and a good deal of benefit to run the larger wheel/tire. A 14-inch or even a 13 will turn roughly 30% slower than the 12s for a given road speed, for less wear on wheel bearings. I cringe when I see boats towed on 12s. Boat trailers have the additional factor of dunking the wheels in water to launch and retrieve the boat.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Tires with wheels: Link.

Tires: Link.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Another good place to shop is Etrailer. I've done business with them and recommend without reservation.
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-...0~12-pc-12_Inch.aspx

As long as the bolt pattern fits and you have clearance in the wheel well I see no problem but etrailer is great for advice.

Posts: 4810 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How can I figure out if the fenders will get rubbed or not by the 205/75/14? Seems like a good way to go if it fits.

Trapper - you found tires alone! I was looking on that site and couldn't find it. I guess my search skills aren't very good. There tires are probably would I would need but them I'd have to pay the local shop to install and balance ($25-45 / tire sound about right?).

So now the option to replace the tire seems to exist. Need to decide if I should go that route or still consider moving to the 14"

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay - I'll try to take some rough measurements and see if the 205/75/14 will fit in the wheel well. The bolt pattern standard on the etrailer webpage will be useful - I'll measure "D" on the existing wheel.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ya, I spend a lot of time and money on etrailer.com. Frown

The tire you have is 22” in diameter while the one you are considering is 26” in diameter. That’ll mean you’ll have 2” less clearance between the tire and fender if you switch. You’ll have to take how much your springs compress as well to see if you have clearance.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Also didn't realize this but perhaps radial tires (14") are better suited for me than bias (12"). From eTrailer:

Radial ply tires are designed for trailers that are towed on the highway. The cords on a radial tire are positioned at a 90-degree angle to the direction of travel so that they lay across the width of the tire from wheel lip to wheel lip. This construction prevents the cords from rubbing against one another when the tire flexes, unlike the cords on a bias ply tire. As a result, radial tires have less rolling resistance and heat buildup, which leads to a longer tread life and improved steering at higher speeds.

Bias ply tires are designed for off-road or agricultural applications. They are built with thick, durable nylon cords that are positioned at a 30- to 45-degree angle to the direction of travel. The layers alternate in a crisscross pattern, making the sidewalls stiffer so that the entire tire is able to flex easily. As a result, the tire provides a smooth ride and improved handling when trailering on uneven surfaces.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Ya, I spend a lot of time and money on etrailer.com. Frown

The tire you have is 22” in diameter while the one you are considering is 26” in diameter. That’ll mean you’ll have 2” less clearance between the tire and fender if you switch. You’ll have to take how much your springs compress as well to see if you have clearance.

Thanks - I'll take some rough measurements. The kayaks I think are relatively light load (200lbs total?) aside from inherent trailer weight. And usually just on roads / beach so not bumpy. Worst case, just the occasional rub against the fender when hitting a large bump?

Perhaps the whole trailer will just jump up and down more than the leaf springs will get compressed?

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I would think Malone sized the springs properly for the trailer and expected load.

As far as radial vs. bias: I wouldn’t worry about it. You aged the tires out before you wore them out and I’m assuming had no complaints. I have bias ply tires on six small boat trailers. Two of them, my double PWC trailers, have over 5,500 miles each on them without issue.

If it were my trailer, I’d just get the same tires it already has. In fact, I have three sets of tires coming as we speak because mine have aged out as well. I even bought a tire changer from Harbor Freight for $51 after a 20% off coupon to do it myself.

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
A 205/75-14 is going to be considerably taller than a 4.80 or 5.30-12. Another option might be 155-12 passenger tires.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5714 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm not savvy enough to assess the merits of various options. But I'm gathering that both options have pros/cons assuming both are viable (need to confirm fitment of the non-stock option).

The non-stock option is attractive to me primarily for emergencies - if I get a flat on a trip, it's likely that I can go to a local tire chain and the tire will be in stock or available w/in a day. The hesitation here is fitment unless there are other concerns I should consider.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
There’s no way I’d retire tires at seven years. Maybe double that, but not seven. I have gone through hundreds of truck tires, and I have never retired one for being seven years old. In fact, I’m sitting under a 200,000lb load right now that we just moved with some tires older than ten.

Proper inflation, never having been run low, number of repairs, and not having been overloaded are far bigger concerns than age.

Then again, I don’t go to the dentist every six months either. Smile

ETA: This doesn’t apply to steer tires. They are usually new or nearly new.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Is the 7 year rule out of date given modern rubber? The rule was established long ago when rubber tech was still not good?

I'm okay adhering to whatever the rule of thumb is. $300 is low compared to the damage a flat on the highway might cause to load, trailer, truck and/or others.