SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pawn Shop gun finds
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pawn Shop gun finds Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought any guns in five years since I had a stroke and lost a large part of my vision, but prior to that, two or three local pawn shops were regular stops on my weekly rounds. I've picked up quite a few guns at the pawn shops and they were bargains. You develop a report with the owners and they will always alter you of something that may be of interest. I just know what things are worth, tell them what I will pay, and it works more often than not. If it is not a bargin to me, I don't buy it.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yup, H&K marked Fabarm FP6 Tactical at some little rink-a-dink pawn shop in Seffner, Fl that closed a few years later. Haven't seen one in person before or since, and I was impressed enough to let my 870 walk. It was just under $600, and they let me do a layaway, so I figured that worked for me.

Not my picture, but mine is identical,

Now the real part of the deal is here: The shotgun came without magazine tube extension. About eight years after buying the shotgun, I'm looking through a case at a different pawn shop in the Puget Sound, and see a box marked "Choate magazine tube extension" and written in sharpie on the side "FP6." So I inquire. Someone ordered the wrong extension for their 870, and traded it in, and it had been sitting in the case for a good ten years, marked at $100. The guy said "give me $20 and get it out of here." So I did.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prior to my stroke five years ago when I lost a large part of my vision, I would make the weekly rounds to the two or three pawn shops in my area looking for bargains. The secret is just to keep looking. Soon the owners know what you want and can lead you on to some good deals. I never buy unless I am the winner. I've watched guns sit in gun shops and pawn stores for five years and not move, but I keep asking what they want for them. Pretty soon they will give up and decide it is time to move it out. I've picked up some great milsurps this way.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
yep, probably pushing 30 years ago I bought a Remington 788 in .308win. at a remote pawn shop. Still have it today. One of the best purchase's I have every made. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I’ve ever found was overpriced worn out junk. I don’t think I’ve ever found a bargain in any pawn store.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtCowboy
posted Hide Post
Series I Kimber Classic Government in 8000 serial range.

Posts: 250 | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I was eyeing a beat to hell Ruger MKII fir years and one day decided to bounce and it had sold earlier in the day Confused

It was priced higher than new too haha.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3643 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I picked up a nice 20 year old Winchester Black Shadow 30-06 and a Savage Hog Hunter 308 at a pawn shop recently.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
All I’ve ever found was overpriced worn out junk. I don’t think I’ve ever found a bargain in any pawn store.

+1

They are ALL crooks around here.

All of them.

Forget about treasure hunting in this town. Forget it.

Posts: 5144 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year I picked up a beretta jaguar .22 at a pawn shop. It is a non import marked one, the early version with push button safety and not one of the recent threaded imports. I jumped on it for $250 out the door.( a bit less than what the Israeli imports were running a couple years ago) it did only come with one non beretta magazine but runs great. I think in my efforts to acquire additional magazines ( 2 factory beretta and two more aftermarkets) I have spent more on magazines than what I paid for the gun!

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In the pawn shop I mentioned earlier, I found a Beretta 86, a Glock 30 and a Colt Agent with the factory hammer shroud.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Pre-internet you could find deals sometimes. Now anything that isn't absolute trash is overpriced.
I stopped looking in pawn shops years ago because I never found the good deals that some of you other guys have run across.

There was one pawn shop that once had some really nice guns - my friend's asshole soon to be ex-wife sold *all* his guns when he was out of the house for pennies on the dollar. Frown

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Early Marlin 60 found at a local pawn shop maybe ten years ago.

One of my favorite guns. Guy behind the counter told me "It don't shoot". I asked him how much. He checked with the manager and said $50. Me being a penny pincher, I offered $25. We settled on $35. When I disassembled it, the only thing preventing it from "shooting" was the firing pin had been pinned in the rear position for cleaning. I removed the pin, reassembled it, and have enjoyed maybe 1,000+ rounds of enjoyment since. The least expensive and most enjoyed gun in my safe. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience. While working in LA in 1975, I visited the Fowler Gunshop and found a 44 Auto Mag with an extra barrel in 357 Auto Mag. for $560.

It seems the owner had nothing but jamming problems and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. This was common sometimes since they needed to be broken in.

In 1985, they had a fire and explosion in the shop that killed four people.

http://articles.latimes.com/19...-16294_1_county-fire

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 41,

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
My step brother had a great squirrel gun when we were growing up. A savage O/U 22 on the top, 410 on the bottom. Always wanted one.

Stopped in a pawn shop on the way home from north Florida and found one in a barrel for a good price, and snatched it up.

Works fine, but twice, there has been a discharge on the .22 side when closing the break barrel. In the safe til I can get it to the gunsmith.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlc444:
My step brother had a great squirrel gun when we were growing up. A savage O/U 22 on the top, 410 on the bottom. Always wanted one.

Stopped in a pawn shop on the way home from north Florida and found one in a barrel for a good price, and snatched it up.

Works fine, but twice, there has been a discharge on the .22 side when closing the break barrel. In the safe til I can get it to the gunsmith.

I had one of those years ago that I bought from a friend for $40 I think. It was a .410 and .22 Mag though. Awesome camp gun for grouse and rabbits for camp eats. I wish I still had it.

As for the question regarding pawn shop purchases, I've never bought a gun from one. Just tools and DVD's.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I found my 220 Sport in a pawn shop. Bought it for 800.00-ish.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just like Jimmy said around here the pawn shop guns are beaters with a high price tag.
We had a local pawn shop bring guns to our local gun show, but could not sell many guns...only to newcomers who did not know any better.

I watched a transaction where the pawn shop was taking a gun on trade, which was actually worth more than the gun the guy was trading for. They ended up getting an additional 250 plus the guys gun. All for a pistol worth about 350 outright.
The trade was worth 500 imho.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Been years ago. I bought an older BHP for $400 that had been customized. I sold it later on for like $1,100

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14010 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before the days of the internet (remember those?) I got a HK91 at a pawnshop in SC. Very nice condition, clean inside and out. I stripped it on the counter to check it. Paid 750 when they were going for 1200 - 1500.

Haven’t found a good deal since.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post