SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Miami Beach area housing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miami Beach area housing Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
My Daughter works as a restaurant manager. Her last job was for a upscale restaurant in Beverly Hill as AGM.
The restaurant chain she works for has locations all over the world. With Covid they shutdown her restaurant and many others last spring.
She put here furniture in storage in LA, shipped her car back to our home in Chicago and moved into our house until things settled down.

She was called yesterday by the Company she worked for and offered a job for a few weeks to a few months at the restaurant in Miami Beach to do training as the restaurant there just opened.
The restaurant is on Lenox st. in Miami Beach.
She is looking for a short term furnished apt. near the restaurant. They want to send her to DC after Miami to open a new restaurant there after she is done in Miami.

Not being familiar with Miami Beach, I must assume that it is like many large city's, GOOD areas to live, and BAD areas to avoid.
What areas are GOOD, what areas are BAD?

Posts: 4628 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
The Coconut Grove is a very nice area and crime is slightly above the national average, but parts of the Grove, like Grand Avenue, are very dangerous.

The areas that have the reputation for being the most dangerous in Miami are:

Model or Liberty City
Overtown
Opa Locka
Carol City
Miami Gardens
Little Haiti
Wynwood
West Flagler
Allapattah

But there's also bad parts of South Dade like Perrine and Naranja; Parts of Hialeah; a section of South Miami; parts of Florida City and Homestead; and Downtown Miami.

My wife used to teach elementary school in Miami Gardens.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Miami Beach and have for almost all of my 65 years. Lexox Street is basically in the middle of the South Beach area. I live a few miles north of that area in a single family home area. Lenox is just a few blocks from Ocean Drive, Lincoln Road etc. where the cool shops restaurants, clubs other nightlife etc. are located. Lots of apartments in the area although I don't know the market for short term rentals or costs. It is generally safe, as a tourist area police presence is pretty strong since crime is bad for the tourism business, but like any area of this type there also are transients, homeless and other assorted bad street people elements so she will have to be somewhat careful. She probably could get good intel from her employees about all of this. If you or she want a local responsible adult contact in case of whatever my email is in my profile. I will get my wife on it....

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
As kho says, there are a million condos in the area, particularly at the south end. I had a friend who lived in a high rise just near the VFW on south beach. Many of the condos are owned by foreign money, and are available for rental. I'm relatively sure she could find a furnished place in South Beach for a few months, particularly during COVID.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Live in Miami, born and raised.

She will be fine on the beach, there’s thousands of furnished rentals available. There is zero point in her living anywhere but Miami Beach, if she will only be here for a limited time, unless she likes being stuck in traffic (the Grove would be a nightmare to commute).

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Pompano Beach and born in raised in Fort Lauderdale less than an hour North. The problem is going to be the price. If you stay on Miami Beach (the barrier island), the whole area from South Beach North to North Miami Beach is pretty safe. Midtown is popular and Brickell and safe, but just West of those two by like a several block walk are ghetto and unsafe. Coral gables down by UM is pretty safe but getting to be far enough to be a pain in the ass drive that's simply not worth it.

Her best bet would be to rent a tiny efficiency or studio on Miami Beach Month to Month, to make sure the job sticks, she likes the area, and she gets to know the lay of the land and maybe then can figure out where she wants to live or a good room mate situation. My aunt has a very nice house on one of the islands on the Venetian Causeway right off of South Beach, it has a totally seperate apartment so I have a call into her, but think it's rented.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I live in Pompano Beach and born in raised in Fort Lauderdale less than an hour North. The problem is going to be the price. If you stay on Miami Beach (the barrier island), the whole area from South Beach North to North Miami Beach is pretty safe. Midtown is popular and Brickell and safe, but just West of those two by like a several block walk are ghetto and unsafe. Coral gables down by UM is pretty safe but getting to be far enough to be a pain in the ass drive that's simply not worth it.

Her best bet would be to rent a tiny efficiency or studio on Miami Beach Month to Month, to make sure the job sticks, she likes the area, and she gets to know the lay of the land and maybe then can figure out where she wants to live or a good room mate situation. My aunt has a very nice house on one of the islands on the Venetian Causeway right off of South Beach, it has a totally seperate apartment so I have a call into her, but think it's rented.

Thanks Jimmy!

Posts: 4628 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Text me tomorrow if you still have my number. I might have something that your daughter would be interested in.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Will send you a email.