SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto mechanics, question on brakes. Update.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto mechanics, question on brakes. Update..... Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
My son lives with my sister, as she lives close to where he works. His company sent him to Oxford for 3 weeks for a seminar on a new software. He is a computer engineer.

My sister drove his car to get it out of the street as the town was paving. She left on a light and it killed the battery. No big problem. Saturday, I took the 80 mile drive up, jumped the battery and drove the car to recharge the battery. I noticed the VSA and ABS lights on the dash on. I looked up in the Honda manual and it said could be caused by a dirty ABS sensor. His rear drivers rotor was clearly shot, I had changed the pair just a year ago. I decided the caliper was not working. I ordered new rotors, brakes, and calipers (Rock Auto kit).
Now the question. Would you think the sensor is dirty and needs cleaning as the brakes failed, or more likely a bad sensor? I have to drive up Wednesday night and bring the car home to do the work. I would rather do the job at home where I have all my tools instead of hoping I take everything I need with me and do the job up there.
I haven't told my son of his car problems, I would rather he enjoy the U.K. without worrying about his car.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rtquig,

Living the Dream

Posts: 4035 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, the ABS sensor on the Honda is akin to a stroboscope but without the light (the lens picks up the lighter colored portion on the spinning mass area of the wheel).

If this is correct, I would try cleaning the lens of the sensor first. Then again, the failure could be a result of the shot rotor(s).

Also, if the rear rotors were changed two years ago and have already failed, a caliper (or both).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
The Abs could have been triggered by the low voltage. There is probably no problem. You might just need to clear the code.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9089 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Is the check engine light on? When something sets off the CEL on some makes it will disable the abs and traction control. More info is needed to pinpoint the problem as throwing parts at it could get costly. Having the code read is a great start, i dont think your local auto parts stores have a scanner capable of pulling abs/traction control codes.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. The caliper was most likely the problem when I replaced the rotors and brakes last year. I priced them out by buying rotors and brakes and one caliper. After spending over 2 hours looking at different options, I decided that for the $20 more, the Rock Auto Kit was worth it for the 2nd caliper.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4035 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
If I recall correctly, the ABS sensor on the Honda is akin to a stroboscope but without the light (the lens picks up the lighter colored portion on the spinning mass area of the wheel).

If this is correct, I would try cleaning the lens of the sensor first. Then again, the failure could be a result of the shot rotor(s).

Also, if the rear rotors were changed two years ago and have already failed, a caliper (or both).

The sensor is a magnet which picks up a field from either a reluctor wheel or magnets built into the spinning mass of the wheel bearing. Honda likes to use the spinning mass in a wheel bearing type, make and model info would help alot too.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
Is the check engine light on? When something sets off the CEL on some makes it will disable the abs and traction control. More info is needed to pinpoint the problem as throwing parts at it could get costly. Having the code read is a great start, i dont think your local auto parts stores have a scanner capable of pulling abs/traction control codes.

No check engine light on. My scanner is a cheap one and the Honda Civic is our only vehicle which I could never reset the codes with my OBDII scanner. I can bring the car to school with me on Friday if I'm finished and have the Auto Repair class flash the codes.

Living the Dream

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Thanks guys. The caliper was most likely the problem when I replaced the rotors and brakes last year. I priced them out by buying rotors and brakes and one caliper. After spending over 2 hours looking at different options, I decided that for the $20 more, the Rock Auto Kit was worth it for the 2nd caliper.

A locked up caliper may cause the light to come on but its unlikely, unless someone drove it at speeds above 10mph or so while dragging a locked up tire.

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No check engine light on. My scanner is a cheap one and the Honda Civic is our only vehicle which I could never reset the codes with my OBDII scanner. I can bring the car to school with me on Friday if I'm finished and have the Auto Repair class flash the codes.

Email in profile, you're welcome to email me for further diagnostics as i might not check this thread friday.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Get the codes read for free at a local auto parts store.

Check the pins on the calibers. I've had then sick to the point the caliber wouldn't slide causing the pads to wear down extremely quickly.

I always pack as much grease as I can on the pins when I put them back in. Make sure to clean them up and check the rubber boots. If the boots are damaged water and dust can get in. Which will cause the calibers to stick.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
A little over 3 weeks ago I noticed the rotor was chewed up compared to the other 3 which have worn nicely. My son had to leave and I planned to take the wheel off the next time he came home. When I drove it Saturday after jumping it, I could hear the brakes dragging in the rear as I was backing out of the driveway at my sisters.

Living the Dream

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Email in profile, you're welcome to email me for further diagnostics as i might not check this thread friday.

Thanks, if I can't clear the codes on Friday I will email you.

Living the Dream

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Get the codes read for free at a local auto parts store.

Check the pins on the calibers. I've had then sick to the point the caliber wouldn't slide causing the pads to wear down extremely quickly.

I always pack as much grease as I can on the pins when I put them back in. Make sure to clean them up and check the rubber boots. If the boots are damaged water and dust can get in. Which will cause the calibers to stick.

I agree. I usually clean the pins and put grease on them and make sure the boots aren't torn or not properly seated.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
A lot of cars will light the ABS light when the brakes are very worn.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Really? Which ones?

Posts: 5201 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Rt, to fully charge the battery it should be put on a charger. To fully charge a battery with the car running, it will take about 8 hours of driving. This is because the alternator is not charging all of the time. The computer controls when the alternator charges based on the voltage it is reading. Charging the battery for a short time with the engine is just putting on a surface charge.

The battery can very well be causing the lights to come on. For example, my fleet has a bunch of 2011 Ford Crown Vics in use. When the batteries are drained and when we jump start them, the fuel gauge will not work, fuel light will light, and other lights will illuminate. Charge the battery, and all is good again. Computers do not like low battery voltage and will do some weird things.

Posts: 5201 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I'm with Shifferbrains
quote:
Computers do not like low battery voltage and will do some weird things.
That been my experience also.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
Rt, to fully charge the battery it should be put on a charger. To fully charge a battery with the car running, it will take about 8 hours of driving. This is because the alternator is not charging all of the time. The computer controls when the alternator charges based on the voltage it is reading. Charging the battery for a short time with the engine is just putting on a surface charge.

The battery can very well be causing the lights to come on. For example, my fleet has a bunch of 2011 Ford Crown Vics in use. When the batteries are drained and when we jump start them, the fuel gauge will not work, fuel light will light, and other lights will illuminate. Charge the battery, and all is good again. Computers do not like low battery voltage and will do some weird things.

When I can get it to my house I can put it on a charger. Typically, he drives to the train station 1 mile from his house. On weekends he drives down to us, somewhere around 80 miles one way. It hasn't been driven for over 2 weeks since he is away. I replaced the battery a year ago. With the Fluke tester, It was charging at 14.6 volts. Today, my sister took it out for an hour drive and on Wednesday I will bring it home.

Living the Dream

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Yes brakemaster, do tell. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:

I was thinking in this direction as well. BMW motorcycle ABS is especially sensitive to this issue and will throw an ABS fault after a few minutes of idiling, even on a new battery. Tagged for the solution.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post