SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Military customs/courtesies and Presidential viewings.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Military customs/courtesies and Presidential viewings. Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
I've been watching President Bush's viewing, and am intrigued by they process.

Is there any rhyme or reason as to which member from various branches are positioned around the President's casket? It seems like they change after each guard, but I can't figure out the pattern.

Also, they go to parade rest, and I can't figure that out either. How often do they do it, and what is the duration?

How is one selected for this duty? Seems like it could be a highlight of anyone in the military.

My wife even came downstairs, and asked what I was watching. Pretty soon my entire family was downstairs, and it's a school night.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ASKSmith,

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I was in the USAF Drum and Bugle Corps.

There is also a USAF Honor Guard.

Both serve different functions.

All services have equivalent duties.

The number of available members in the procession during the changing of the guard it is not as is not rigidly set, but having the correct number of members in the placement dictates the members during the changing of the guard.

All are "equal" in posting. While having a Marine exchange for a Marine, or Soldier for Soldier would be ideal, it is not as important as the posting.

All five branches represent. Marines, Sailors, Airmen, Soldiers and Cost Guard.

Honor Guard is a voluntary duty. One only needs to have desire. Drum and Bugle or duties that require a "skill" are typically "auditioned".

Military Customs and Courtesies set the standards for the various needs.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Each branch has members that serve as an honor guard.

When i was a RDC I would have the recruiting staff of the Navy honor guard interview my graduating recruits for the Navy'ks honor guard.

They are selected as much for physical appearance as military bearing.

FWIW, they are not at “at ease=, they are at =parade rest=.

If i remember correctly it is a 2 year tour with preferred follow on orders.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And those fine men will take that "honor" to their graves.

God bless them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I was not an honor guard in this capacity, but I did volunteer for my unit at local events.

We assumed the post at attention, then went to parade rest. If a dignitary came to view, we would post at attention for them, then back to parade rest once they left.

Also, all motions are at a reduced pace, with exception of the final salute, which was snapped too and slowly recinded.

Again, I was not an honor guard at Presidential Level, just relaying what we did as possible reference.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A local Maine is part of the honor guard:

https://qctimes.com/news/local...rce=home-top-story-2

Davenport Marine part of Honor Guard for George H. W. Bush

Thomas Geyer tgeyer@qctimes.com
Dec 4, 2018 Updated 5 hrs ago

A Davenport native assigned to Marine Barracks, Washington D.C., known as 8th and I, is one of twelve Marines who are joining other service members as Honor Guard for the casket of President George Herbert Walker Bush, who is lying in state at the Capitol Rotunda.

Lance Cpl. Justin Gillaspie, 21, who has been assigned to 8th and I, the oldest post of the Marine Corps, since Aug. 17, 2017, has been in a Marine for just less than two years. He will celebrate his two-year anniversary on March 6.

Talking to the Quad-City Times on Tuesday, Gillaspie said he and the other six members of his 7-member team were dressed and ready at 6:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time to practice and go on their 12-hour shift at 10 p.m.

“We have a full 12-hour shift,” Gillaspie said. “We rotate out every half hour.”

He and the other 11 Marines to serve as honor guards were selected by command, he added.

Asked how he felt about partaking in such an honor, Gillaspie said, “I haven’t thought too much about it.

“It hasn’t completely soaked in,” he said. “It’s certainly a huge honor to be able to do. I imagine that at some time in the future it’ll be something I look back on and talk about.”

A member of each branch of the armed forces — Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard — surrounds the casket.

Justin said after the Marine Corps he will return to Davenport where he will be a police officer, like his dad, Jason Gillaspie, who has been a Davenport cop for 17 years.

“My wife and I are so proud of him,” Jason Gillaspie said of his son. “We couldn’t be more proud of the things he’s done in the just under two years he’s been in. Just to be assigned to Marine Barracks, Washington D.C., 8th and I, is an honor in itself.”

Jason Gillaspie said his son called him and told him what he was going to be doing, so his dad was in front of the television watching.

“It seems like he’s always doing something interesting out there in Washington,” Jason Gillaspie said.

Justin said that his dad supports his choice of careers at the Davenport Police Department.

“He’s always been very supportive of everything I’ve done,” Justin said.

George H. W. Bush, 41st President of the U.S., died Friday at the age of 94. He served as president from 1989 to 1993.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I worked on a Joint Base today. The place was empty with all the Federal employees off. It made getting on base easy. I get there early as the traffic can be so bad that you have to sit at 6-7 traffic lights before turning on to the base. Today I was the only vehicle going through the gate. I did get a choice parking spot.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Whatever the details are, it is impressive to watch.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a thought; if you noticed the honor guard at the casket were facing the casket. This was changed at the JFK funeral. Previous to that time the honor guard faced away from the casket as they were there to guard it. Jackie asked that they face the casket so that during the night when there was no one there except the guard, JFK would be looked upon. Apparently that practice has continued.............

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My BIL was in the honor guard when he was in the Coast Guard.He was at the top of his basic training class and the right height and build. If you notice the bill of their hats they are all even.

We have a tape of him doing some drills. In one drill he is in the center of four other men(diamond) and they are throwing rifles with fixed baynets to each other.

On days that they didn't have a "job" they played basketball to keep their body fat low.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post